2 hours ago, Mord said:

Which do you consider the plain backgrounds? The ones with the division patches?

Yes, by plain I meant the ones without the weather effects behind them. I didn't mean it as criticism, just that as you mentioned it took a lot of work to get the weather portraits right, and that I think that the base portraits are more than enough. You've definitely gone above and beyond!

2 hours ago, Mord said:

I think with each rendition I've gotten a little better. My eye sharpens, I refine the process, and get a tad closer to that elusive perfection that always escapes me. I think what you are seeing with the faces has come from my shrinking them even more this time. You get more face, yet on a smaller scale, but for some reason it makes the details stand out. If that makes sense?

I definitely think this is an improvement. Its a small but noticeable change that I think improves the overall appearance of the portraits.  

I haven't taken a closer look at the dloaded file yet but noticed you say on CMMODS there are different seasonal varieties for each divisional portrait.

Mod tagging works for the UI interface just like any other in game graphic. With the hard coded mod tags already used in this game like "snow," you can tell the game to automatically pick a certain unit portrait based on the weather codition (and possibly season...) with the use of these hard coded mod tags. See back of the game manual for these hard coded mod tags.

While testing JuJu's UI mod for CMFB we worked out this was a suitable workaround for having different portraits in that mod. There was a brief mention of doing it for the whole UI, ie having a snow dusted version whenever the player was fighting in snow but the idea was dropped due to a mix of workload and early testing showed it was difficult to get it to "look good."

Just a thought. :)

3 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Yes, by plain I meant the ones without the weather effects behind them. I didn't mean it as criticism, just that as you mentioned it took a lot of work to get the weather portraits right, and that I think that the base portraits are more than enough. You've definitely gone above and beyond!

Oh, I didn't take it as criticism, no worries. But in my head when I am modding I always consider the weather backgrounds as plain, so wasn't sure which ones you thought were plain.

3 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

I definitely think this is an improvement. Its a small but noticeable change that I think improves the overall appearance of the portraits.

It's been the trend since my very first horrible CMSF mod, and the first crappy CMBN one. I think this size is the perfect one. It was a constant battle back when I first started doing this to fight the portraits' tendency to want to go all bobble head. Shrinking to this size finally hit the mark. I'll tell you, I would've loved to have gotten my design down sooner. You wouldn't believe the thousands and thousands of portraits I have redesigned and replaced over the years.

1 hour ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Mod tagging works for the UI interface just like any other in game graphic.

Yeah, I actually mentioned this a couple posts back. I didn't do it myself because I was afraid the file names would exceed the character limit. I had that problem back on Win 8.1, with the Gustav or MG mod. The CW file names were too long and some people were getting errors unzipping files to their comps. The only way for them to avoid it was to rename files within the zip before removing them. So, I just skipped it.

35 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Interesting choice for the 560. VG, Mord. White hammer on red field. Is it historical or necessary to make it visible?

Was the color historical? No, I took some liberties with the color on that one to bring out the hammer. But I did stick with the color code the Germans used. I added very few colors, so you can rest assured most are 100% authentic.When it was done it was to add a little creative zip to some of the more monotonous shields. 

@Badger73, you are most welcome, my man!

Mord.

Edited by Mord

1 hour ago, Mord said:

I'll tell you, I would've loved to have gotten my design down sooner. You wouldn't believe the thousands and thousands of portraits I have redesigned and replaced over the years.

I can definitely imagine. I'm running into a similar thing myself, working on a project for CMSF2. As I get better at it, I constantly have to go back and fix little things here and there. Oh well, all the chipping away gives me plenty of time to listen to audiobooks. If you don't already have something to help pass the time while you're working, I would recommend giving audiobooks a try. Really helps to pass the time and keep myself productive. 

I listen to a lot of history and horror podcasts but when I mod I usually have classical music playing. My music choice will depend on if I have to research while I am working or I can just do a bunch of repetitious stuff. If I have to read I can't listen to anything with words because it distracts me too much.  I do love audio books though. I have found a couple really awesome horror narrators on Youtube as well.

Mord.

+1, awesome mod, thank you for the effort!

A small unrelated question, I see that you used a Daimler-logo-looking insignia for 15. pz gd div, which I found very interesting (as in how it come to be). However, only a five-pointed star comes up as their insignia on google, so if it doesn't bother you, could you enlighten me?

27 minutes ago, Kozlice said:

+1, awesome mod, thank you for the effort!

A small unrelated question, I see that you used a Daimler-logo-looking insignia for 15. pz gd div, which I found very interesting (as in how it come to be). However, only a five-pointed star comes up as their insignia on google, so if it doesn't bother you, could you enlighten me?

Thanks!

That may be a screw up on my part for the time period. It was definitely used but I have conflicting info (for time periods) from two sources and can't find the Osprey book on Amazon which was my third (at least I remember using it for the 6th PzGd). There are actually three symbol versions according to Die Truppen Kennzeichen 1939-1945 ; the one we are discussing, a five pointed white star on a white background, and squat five pointed white start on a black rectangle. I may not be remembering right, and might have just recycled it from the Italy mod. Sometimes my different sources have dates when symbols were used and sometimes not (and I have to make a choice). The symbol was used in 43, definitely. I may have chosen it over the others for aesthetic reasons and missed something important about the date. One of my bigger problems is my main sources are in German so sometimes I can screw up the Google Translate if I don't cut and paste properly (you'd be amazed at what a space in the wrong spot can produce). I will look deeper into it and correct it (if need be) in the next version. Off hand, from what I am gathering from Die Truppen Kennzeichen (without translating), I may have the wrong one for the Bulge timeline. So, good catch!

LOL. Some of these German symbols can be a real PIA! There are points where they'll have switched them just for an operation, and then went back to the original, or newer one afterwards. It can get confusing.

32 minutes ago, Heinrich505 said:

Mord,

Amazing work.  Thanks so much.  So nicely done.

Heinrich505

You are most welcome, my AAR making genius.

Mord.

I know close to nothing about most of the German divisions' insignias myself, that one really just caught my eye, wondering if it had anything to do with Daimler (probably doesn't, just wanted to make sure :P). Thanks for pointing your sources out, will try to take a look there. Btw, if you need any help with German translation, pm me (not native but can try to help nonetheless :)).

Yeah, I don't know if it does or not. When I research I concentrate mostly on the dates and theaters to cut down on time. The researching can turn your brain into mush after a while. I was kinda surprised I forgot as much as I did on that one, though. I really couldn't remember clearly any of the decisions I made. But then again I did over 800 portraits so I guess something is gonna get lost in the process.

Mord.

• 2 weeks later...