If British forces were included in a future module, what new equipment should we see?

black_prince

I've no idea whether BF are considering a future module featuring UK forces. I understand the only one that is definitely on the cards at the moment is the Marines module. However, indulging some wishful thinking for a moment, given that BS is set in 2017, I was wondering what new equipment it would make sense to include.

Obviously, it's too early for the Ajax family of vehicles. Presumably we could expect to see self-propelled and shoulder-launched Starstreak for air defence. UAVs such as Watchkeeper, Desert Hawk and the MQ-9. Maybe sharpshooter rifles in infantry sections? 

Also, I understand that Exactor (improved Spike NLOS)  has been adopted by the RA as regular equipment. Would it make sense for it to be available as an off-board asset?

Finally, just as engineering vehicles like the Churchill AVRE and the Sherman Crab are now available in CM, would it make sense to have the Trojan AVRE with a working line charge and mine plow featured?

Edited by black_prince

• 2 weeks later...

Makes me wonder where they would figure in on this scenario; even with the very clear expansion of the war being ruled out by Battlefront. Would they remain poised in the Baltic States to maintain the deterrent and prevent an expansion of the conflict, or be poured into the Ukraine through Poland? The saner option would be the former, I guess.

It would be interesting to see how they stack up, especially with the relative organizational mess the Army is in with the 2020 reforms underway. I recently purchased the UK module for Shock Force after the recommendation of @BrotherSurplice and don't regret it; they're far more interesting to play as then I was willing to give them credit for.

Edited by Rinaldi

5 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

Makes me wonder where they would figure in on this scenario; even with the very clear expansion of the war being ruled out by Battlefront. Would they remain poised in the Baltic States to maintain the deterrent and prevent an expansion of the conflict, or be poured into the Ukraine through Poland? The saner option would be the former, I guess.

It would be interesting to see how they stack up, especially with the relative organizational mess the Army is in with the 2020 reforms underway. I recently purchased the UK module for Shock Force after the recommendation of @BrotherSurplice and don't regret it; they're far more interesting to play as then I was willing to give them credit for.

I suppose it's possible that a battle group would be in either Poland or the Baltic prior to the Russian invasion. Not sure how long it would take to reinforce that to either brigade or division strength.

Also, forgot to include the NLAW in the new equipment (wish)list.

8 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

If the Tories are supposed to be in power we'll be in the thick of it, if not.....

Realistically the European bits of NATO aren't going to contribute much IMHO, for both political and practical reasons.....BF would do as well to model the Poles and other East European nations who actually have a dog in the fight (against the bear).

Personally I'd much prefer to see the Fulda Gap.....It would attract a lot less trolls IMHO. 

TBH once CM:SF II is out, CM:BS will be a dead thing for me, I already own all the SF modules so I'll have about four times as much game to play with and I get to set my scenarios against people I'd be genuinely happy to kill personally.....What more could you want.  :)

18 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

If the Tories are supposed to be in power we'll be in the thick of it, if not.....

Realistically the European bits of NATO aren't going to contribute much IMHO, for both political and practical reasons.....BF would do as well to model the Poles and other East European nations who actually have a dog in the fight (against the bear).

Poles and others would be good. I take your point about the UK and Europeans but I, personally, would still like to see them. Plus, as a Canadian, I would like to see the CF too. Given our participation in training that is happening IRL and the strong connection between Canada and the Ukraine (aka home politics) I think Canada would be willing to contribute to the hypothetical story as well.

18 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Personally I'd much prefer to see the Fulda Gap.....It would attract a lot less trolls IMHO.

Don't get me wrong I would like Fulda Gap too but I am not sure it would attract less trolls. Given that the motivation behind some of the current RL actions seems to be an effort to return to the days of the USSR, I think the same trolls would be happy to relive the glory days.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, kinophile said:

Very doubtful, TBH (re brits in UKR. Or us moosehumpers, UKR diaspora not withstandingFTM.).

Yes, the CF Battlegroup - as interesting as it would be to play - would probably remain in the Baltics. 

4 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

Yes, the CF Battlegroup - as interesting as it would be to play - would probably remain in the Baltics. 

Given that the CM2 game is so amenable to modding that should not discourage BF from including additional nations vehicles and weapons systems. 

Modders have done a wonderful job converting CMSF from Syria to Europe.  Efforts have been made to convert CMFI to depict North Africa.  In both cases the new terrain is convincing but in the NA mod, there are very few appropriate vehicles.  The problem is that the vehicles are limited to the models that already exist in the unmodded game.

When BF releases a new game or module, if BF could include merely the models for weapons systems that exist only in other theatres, modders could then develop the appropriate terrain AND populate it with the proper vehicles with the proper paint jobs. 

Eg:  It would not require that many new vehicle models to enable modders to make a credible Afrika Korps version of CMFI.  

(Have no idea how much work that would require of BF, but am just suggesting...)

Edited by Erwin