US Pacific Fleet vanished

While playing as the Axis in the 1939 scenario  I dispatched a land unit to invade Hawaii.  I declared war in September 1941 but the US Pacific fleet didn't appear.  The single air unit in Hawaii was quickly killed by my carriers and I easily took Honolulu.  So where are the US battlewagons that should be there?  They don't appear in the Losses table.  The West Coast has the Nevada (aha!) and the Idaho and the East Coast has the  Washington and the North Carolina.  It's now Feb 1942.  Where are the other battleships?

Hi

Did you by any chance conquer the island on the same turn as the US entered the war?

I have a feeling that this might have prevented the UNIT scripts from firing and deploying the ships there, as they would have fired at the end of the turn, but if the port was in Japanese hands by that point then they might not have fired.

The Arizona, California and Oklahoma Battleships, and the New Orleans Cruiser were due to deploy there.

Bill

Yeah.  I did a DOW on the USA, then in the same turn used my CV to destroy the air unit in Honolulu followed by the Japanese Marines taking the undefended town.  I guess by the time the reinforcement phase rolled around the locals were already too subdued to allow the US battlewagons into town.

That's an unplanned and (probably) unfair victory for me, but I'll take it ;)

Edited by Greyshaft

But wait a minute ... I recall doing a DOW in previous games and then my carriers could hammer the US ships in PH on the same turn (kinda like real life).  This is confusing.  When exactly are the US ships supposed to appear?  Surely it should be immediately after the DOW

You must be right then, it's been a long time and I can't remember exactly when something changed in the engine relating to unit deployments like this.

Perhaps check to see if the relevant UNIT scripts exist in the game if you start a new one, assuming this is an official campaign and not a modded one?

Not a modded campaign - I only got the game for Christmas and still working through the standard campaigns.  Not going to fret about it but FWIW the Arizona turned up in a later battle.

File the whole adventure under "Isn't that curious" and move on ...