CMBN persistent crash Scottish Corridor Campaign, Hansel and Gretel

Hardradi

I appear to have stumbled across a persistent crash in the 3rd battle of the Scottish Corridor Campaign. The battle is called Hansel and Gretel.

It crashes at 5 minutes into the battle every time. I have also re-tried from save from the earlier 2nd battle and had the same crash at the same point in time.

Save game(s) are available if someone wants a look.

I don't know the details of this campaign, but as a starting point, what version of CMBN are you running ? What modules/battle packs do you have installed and activated ? If you have version 4.0, did you use the 'full' 4.0 installer (which installs just about everything) or was this installed utilizing separate installers for each module/battle pack ?

Are you running this on a Mac or a PC ? Is this a laptop or a desktop ?  If it is a PC, then what version of Windows, what video card and what driver do you have installed ?

13 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

I don't know the details of this campaign, but as a starting point, what version of CMBN are you running ? What modules/battle packs do you have installed and activated ? If you have version 4.0, did you use the 'full' 4.0 installer (which installs just about everything) or was this installed utilizing separate installers for each module/battle pack ?

Are you running this on a Mac or a PC ? Is this a laptop or a desktop ?  If it is a PC, then what version of Windows, what video card and what driver do you have installed ?

PC, Windows 7.

V4.0 full installation. CMBN: have Commonwealth, Market Garden, Battle Pack and Vehicle Pack.

16 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

Can you send/link the files and I'll check it out with what I have. My installs are basically the 'full' 4.0 installers, but I could install another instance using the separate installers if necessary.

Thanks for your help Schrull.

Google Drive link ok?: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QH_D6fL9WoF11rtnTkd8t8gA06K_d7Rq

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to take so long to look at this. I loaded up the saved campaign on my 'full 4.0 installation' of CMBN and was able to play it for 28 minutes without issue (saved the game at that point). I played the game in a fairly passive manner, not issuing a lot of or detailed commands. 

I played this on a PC with Windows 7 64-bit and an i5 2500k with 16GB of RAM and a GeForce GTX 770 video card (with NOT the latest drivers). Everything played fine and I even played it twice; the first time for about 6 minutes before quitting the game... I had forgotten when exactly you were experiencing the crashing, so I had to load it up again and play for a bit longer to make sure I was duplicating the issue.

This install should have been a '4.0 full' installer, but I can double-check on another installation that I'm fairly certain would also be that.

Thanks Schrull, appreciate the follow up very much.

It was consistently crashing at 5 minutes into the battle for me. Windows 7, i7, 3070k with 16Gig of RA,. had two graphics cards, so not likely to be the issue. That means there must be something wrong with my "4.00 full".  Aargghh

If I could figure out how to give you a rep point I would give you one.

@Hardradi

I'm still on v. 3.12 and I don't have the vehicle pack. The scenario works on my end.

Since your crash happens at exactly 5 minutes, I don't think it's a hardware problem. I could imagine it's because the Germans get some reinforcement at that time. It's the earliest possible reinforcement arrival time.

To test this, I loaded the scenario a couple of times and ran it for 4 minutes, then checking what the Germans had. Then I ran it again for 6 minutes and ceased fire to check again what they had. It doesn't seem like they get any new on-map units, but it may be that they get new off-board artillery.

If the game then tries to load this new asset, but there's a problem with the data files, this might cause the crash.

The problems might be caused by mods, or by OOB changes since the scottish Coridor campaign was made.

Try disabling all your mods and see if the crash still happens. 

If it does, try uninstalling the whole game completely, and then reinstalling it from the 4.0 master installer.

On 18/02/2018 at 11:57 AM, MOS:96B2P said:

Go to the bottom right of Schrullenhaft's post and hold your mouse cursor over the heart. An upvote will appear. Click on it. :)

Cheers, right in front of me. :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

@Hardradi

I'm still on v. 3.12 and I don't have the vehicle pack. The scenario works on my end.

Since your crash happens at exactly 5 minutes, I don't think it's a hardware problem. I could imagine it's because the Germans get some reinforcement at that time. It's the earliest possible reinforcement arrival time.

To test this, I loaded the scenario a couple of times and ran it for 4 minutes, then checking what the Germans had. Then I ran it again for 6 minutes and ceased fire to check again what they had. It doesn't seem like they get any new on-map units, but it may be that they get new off-board artillery.

If the game then tries to load this new asset, but there's a problem with the data files, this might cause the crash.

The problems might be caused by mods, or by OOB changes since the scottish Coridor campaign was made.

Try disabling all your mods and see if the crash still happens. 

If it does, try uninstalling the whole game completely, and then reinstalling it from the 4.0 master installer.

Thanks Bulletpoint. I am pretty sure I tried removing all mods when it first happened (many months ago) but I will try again and report back if it works.