M60 MBT Modifications Opinions

Oleksandr

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Looks like we're about to find out if upgraded M60s are any good, Turkish Sabras have been deployed to Afrin.....Better hope the Kurds don't have Kornet (or Javelin).  ;)

It would be really really interesting. Turkey paraded Leo-A4s on Afrin borders as well. YPG has many TOWs and an unknown number of Javelins. But they're mostly in the North-East of Rojava not in Afrin. Against the backdrop of the US applying enormous pressure not to let YPG use US-made weapons against Turkey and Assad trying to extract its price for letting further reinforcements through SAA-controlled territories...

Edited by IMHO

20 hours ago, IMHO said:

It would be really really interesting. Turkey paraded Leo-A4s on Afrin borders as well. YPG has many TOWs and an unknown number of Javelins. But they're mostly in the North-East of Rojava not in Afrin. Against the backdrop of the US applying enormous pressure not to let YPG use US-made weapons against Turkey and Assad trying to extract its price for letting further reinforcements through SAA-controlled territories...

Is there any indication that Javelins were supplied to the YPG or any other Syrian rebel force? I'm not surprised by TOWs but even that I don't recall reading about.

1_4793_2.jpg

Cb6EhVGWAAAiWsy.jpg

http://ekurd.net/syrian-kurds-use-anti-tank-missile-2016-02-24

But it's not known whether they were actually "officially supplied". They might have been "donated" by Western SOF due to pressing operational needs or even taken from ISIS (who took them from Iraqi Army).

PS There's a consistent rumor that the US provided MANPADs to Kurds as well. It's still just a rumor but I haven't seen a proper denial from the US so far. But may be I missed something.

Edited by IMHO

9 hours ago, IanL said:

Is there any indication that Javelins were supplied to the YPG or any other Syrian rebel force? I'm not surprised by TOWs but even that I don't recall reading about.

Yup, there's plenty as others have shown.

Inevitably when you dump weapons into a volatile environment, they will be dispersed, regardless of your intentions:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/isis-javelin-2017-8?r=US&IR=T

• 2 weeks later...

" I'm not surprised by TOWs but even that I don't recall reading about."

The TOW we're seeing might not actually be TOW, it could be Toophan, the Iranian reverse engineered TOW. I cannot distinguish one from the other from photos, myself. Also, I've read awhile ago that Lebanese army TOW missile systems have been falling into militia group hands.

On 26/01/2018 at 1:58 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Yup, there's plenty as others have shown.

Inevitably when you dump weapons into a volatile environment, they will be dispersed, regardless of your intentions:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/isis-javelin-2017-8?r=US&IR=T

" As we've noted before, the Pentagon is **** at monitoring weapons transfers: 

There's an understatement... 

It ain't just the Pentagon, do you seriously think that Russia wants headchoppers using Kornets & Iglas?  Nevertheless it happens.  I'm certain the Pentagon never envisaged the Kurds using Javelin against the Turks, but once that genie is out of its bottle..... :(

Anybody throwing weapons into Syria (or Yemen) right now is just making a rod for their own (& everyone elses) back in the future.....I do wish people could get their head around the fact that I don't take a partisan position, I speak as I see, don't much care who I offend.

PS - I view the situation in Ukraine slightly differently, supplying that mob with Javelin is the quickest way to transfer the technology to Russia that I can possibly imagine.  :lol:

29 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I recently came across a photo of an ISIS weapons cache that included M72 LAW rocket launchers that had been manufactured in Turkey for the Turkish army. It sounds like someone has been playing both sides against the middle.

Not to worry, they're practically useless anyway ;)

On 2/8/2018 at 6:49 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - I view the situation in Ukraine slightly differently, supplying that mob with Javelin is the quickest way to transfer the technology to Russia that I can possibly imagine.

1. It'll be useless within the Russian doctrine. Way more expensive and less versatile than Kornet.
  2. Javelin is more or less the news of yesteryear. SPIKE's FLIR - uncooled and allegedly having higher resolution and sensitivity than Javelin's.

Spike is not so much 'top attack', as steep attack. It may come in at an angle shallow enough for APS to respond to it.

I read somewhere (long ago) that Spike was the US weapons lab competitor to Javelin. But the Pentagon wanted Javelin despite it being grossly more expensive. So the US simply handed Spike over the Israel to continue development. I don't have a clue if that story's true or not. :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, black_prince said:

<SNIP>  including Turkey as part of a NATO module <SNIP>  

+1  Now this is an interesting idea. I sometimes forget Turkey is NATO.  But since they are NATO and so close to the conflict it is plausible an appearance by them would fit into the story line.  M60 tanks would be cool.  I wonder if Turkey still has M113 APCs?  That would also be cool.