Happy New Year's Day! 2018 look ahead

3 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

If dismounted vehicles are from the same platoon (including a supply platoon) they automatically merge into one big supply dump

Ahhh that doesn't sound right. You should have one dump per vehicle that you can then place where you like. At least that's what *I* think should happen.

15 hours ago, Erwin said:

If people actually read the posts, they would understand that we were talking about small teams of two men having to get a min of 1000 rounds.  Most, maybe all IFV's (and that is often all the vehicles you get), force you to take 1,000 rounds min for the first couple of acquires before you can then take maybe 500 rounds, when you really only want to acquire 100-200 rounds.  Those of us who play a lot come up against this issue all the time.

pe·dan·tic
pəˈdan(t)ik/
adjective

1. of or like a pedant.
    "many of the essays are long, dense, and too pedantic to hold great appeal"

ped·ant
    ˈpednt/
    noun

1. a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning.

8 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

1000 rounds for 2 men isn't totally insane either  - a bit beefy but manageable. Realistically you'd have 7-10 mags if you knew you were headed into the **** and would often carry additional rounds in stripper clips to load up empty mags. For context, 210-250 rounds per man is considered the accepted minimum. 

At any rate how frequently do you need to reload a marksman team? They're hardly what I call mag dumpers. 

This.

2 hours ago, IanL said:

You should have one dump per vehicle that you can then place where you like. At least that's what *I* think should happen.

IanL, that's what I thought also.  :)

I tested it (and used it) in CMBS for Tactical Operations Center.  I'm not sure how it's intended to be used but if the dismounted vehicles are in the same platoon they automatically combine to form one big supply dump.  Even if they are different vehicle types.  I took one Humvee, one Armored Knight and one LMTV Truck put them in the same platoon and dismounted all three.  They formed one big supply dump.  You can move that big supply dump anywhere you want but it remains one big supply dump.  If you take those same vehicles and place them in three different platoons you'll get three different supply dumps.  

Edited by MOS:96B2P

4 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:
pe·dan·tic
pəˈdan(t)ik/
adjective

1. of or like a pedant.
    "many of the essays are long, dense, and too pedantic to hold great appeal"

ped·ant
    ˈpednt/
    noun

1. a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning.

This.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/to-shoot-from-the-hip

If you say that someone shoots from the hip, you mean that they react to situations or give their opinion very quickly, without stopping to think (or bothering to read the post they are responding to).

On 4/8/2018 at 10:05 AM, MOS:96B2P said:

Long time since you've posted my friend.  Good to see you posting again. +1 

That's what happens when you join the army, get married, and adopt another dog. Still following CM religiously though. Hoping to get to play some CMSF2 in Afghanistan this year.

2 minutes ago, iMolestCats said:

That's what happens when you join the army, get married, and adopt another dog. Still following CM religiously though. Hoping to get to play some CMSF2 in Afghanistan this year.

Be safe my friend.  Stay low and move fast. :)

18 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I'm not sure how it's intended to be used but if the dismounted vehicles are in the same platoon they automatically combine to form one big supply dump.  Even if they are different vehicle types.

Hummm. I'll have to add that to my growing list of stuff to investigate.

In case anyone wants to beat me to it here is what I would look at:

1. what happens if I position the vehicles further apart before I set them as dismounted?
  2. what happens if I choose multiple platoons and pare each down to a single vehicle?
  3. does the above behave the same in other games?

3 minutes ago, IanL said:
  1. what happens if I choose multiple platoons and pare each down to a single vehicle

This is how I do it to get multiple supply dumps.  I assign one dismounted vehicle to each of say, three platoons.  Now I have three supply dumps.   If they are in the same platoon they combine into one supply dump. 

what happens if I position the vehicles further apart before I set them as dismounted.

does the above behave the same in other games?

I always set the vehicles as dismounted in the editor so they arrived on the map as supply dumps.  I just re-tested by placing three different vehicles, Humvee, Armored Knight & LMTV truck on the map in the same platoon with a status of "OK".  The longest distance between them was 800 meters.  I then went back into the editor and changed the status of the three vehicles to dismounted.  I went back into Deploy mode and they had all combined into one big supply dump at a central location (not one of the three original locations of the three vehicle).   That changed location surprised me.  Thought I lost the supplies for a minute :D

I will check this in CMFI also. 

15 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

This is how I do it to get multiple supply dumps.  I assign one dismounted vehicle to each of say, three platoons.  Now I have three supply dumps.   If they are in the same platoon they combine into one supply dump. 

Good, glad to hear there is a way.

15 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I always set the vehicles as dismounted in the editor so they arrived on the map as supply dumps.  I just re-tested by placing three different vehicles, Humvee, Armored Knight & LMTV truck on the map in the same platoon with a status of "OK".  The longest distance between them was 800 meters.  I then went back into the editor and changed the status of the three vehicles to dismounted.  I went back into Deploy mode and they had all combined into one big supply dump at a central location (not one of the three original locations of the three vehicle).   That changed location surprised me.  Thought I lost the supplies for a minute :D

I will check this in CMFI also. 

Well that *does* sound intentional. I'll be curious what you find in CMFI.

Well that *does* sound intentional. I'll be curious what you find in CMFI.

Same thing in CMFI.  I placed three different vehicles, Armored Utility Car (M20), Halftrack (M2) & Truck (2.5-ton) on the map in the same platoon with a status of "OK".  The longest distance between them was 800 meters.  I then went back into the editor and changed the status of the three vehicles to dismounted.  I went back into Deploy mode and they had all combined into one big supply dump.  This time at the location of the M2 Halftrack which was not central :huh:.  But in any case the location can be moved wherever the scenario designer wants.  To create different ammo dumps dismounted vehicles must be in different platoons it would seem.  Which works just fine ................ once you understand that. :)      

On 2018-04-11 at 12:14 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

To create different ammo dumps dismounted vehicles must be in different platoons it would seem.  Which works just fine ................ once you understand that. :)      

Thanks for looking at that. I am sure that was intentional then. The above is an important tip to know then. Thank you for finding that.

I think it would be nice to have some way to auto-distribute ammo and bazookas from trucks/halftracks during the setup phase. Manually splitting teams, clicking into and out of vehicles, and acquiring takes a while.

Edited by Bulletpoint

7 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I think it would be nice to have some way to auto-distribute ammo and bazookas from trucks/halftracks during the setup phase. Manually splitting teams, clicking into and out of vehicles, and acquiring takes a while.

I find that a lot of what I do in CM takes a while...a good, long while; and there is a lot to do. The games I play are mostly reinforced company OOBs, so not terribly large. But an average turn takes me over an hour to give orders, which is why I might play only one or two turns a day. Watching the replay takes anywhere from five minutes to half an hour more, but is more fun.

Michael

On 4/10/2018 at 7:14 AM, Rinaldi said:

1000 rounds for 2 men isn't totally insane either  - a bit beefy but manageable. Realistically you'd have 7-10 mags if you knew you were headed into the **** and would often carry additional rounds in stripper clips to load up empty mags. For context, 210-250 rounds per man is considered the accepted minimum. 

At any rate how frequently do you need to reload a marksman team? They're hardly what I call mag dumpers. 

Totally agree. When I was in the U.S.M.C,, the basic allotment (BA) of ammunition for an infantryman was 180 rounds (7.62 for our M-14s). Later, when i carried an M-16, the BA was 240 rounds. M-60 Machinegun ammo was in 200 round boxes. I don't know what the Army BA was for those weapons. If you were in a reinforced platoon, with M-60s and 60mm mortars, each rifleman also carried two boxes of belted 7.62 for the MGs and two 60mm mortar rounds. Again, no idea what soldiers carried or even what current Marine riflemen carry. Not really sure what the BA for a Scout/Sniper is, probably a BA for the service rifle and about 100 rounds for the particular sniper rifle (although I don't think i'd want to be carrying 100 rounds of .50 caliber).

All that said, I think the service rifle allocations are within reason and the specialty ammo is a bit absurd at the moment since the riflemen don't share ammo wtih the MGs.

"And when he dies and goes to Heaven St. Peter he will tell, one more Marine reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell! When St. Peter turns him down, back down to Hell he'll go. He'll kick the Devil off his throne, and run the whole damn show!" Rest in peace R. Lee Ermy.

Edited by Vet 0369
Added

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

There are no news on the website for more than 4 months. I am a very loyal BF customer for reasons everyone in this forum is aware of, but I start worrying about BF by now. Other companies do a great deal of marcom to keep their customers at stage for their next title. Are we changing from Blitzkrieg to a Sitzkrieg? Or is there some useful info hidden in this 13 page thread?

Thanks and success!

I'm beginning to worry about BFC since the last production (CMBS package scenario)  year has passed and independent production of CMBF for two years. May the Final Blitzkrieg not be the last one.

If I recall correct, BF has one, if not a number, of lucrative military contracts for sim development.  Given the deadlines and delivery commitments that usually come with software development contracts, this is largely where the team's effort is going to be focused. Can't blame them for that!

The net effect is that we have to be patient with new modules, but since other these other commercial enterprises will enrich BF, enabling longevity of the company over the long run, I'm totally ok with it. The modules will come eventually, I'm quite positive.

I've already picked up on a hint that SF2 is at test stage with a lot of issues emerging, requiring attention before moving forward with a release. Maybe I'm reading too much into what's been stated, but both of these plausible situations could explain why BF has gone quiet since last December.

Edited by The Steppenwulf

14 minutes ago, The Steppenwulf said:

If I recall correct, BF has one, if not a number, of lucrative military contracts for sim development.  Given the deadlines and delivery commitments that usually come with software development contracts, this is largely where the team's effort is going to be focused. Can't blame them for that!

The net effect is that we have to be patient with new modules, but since other these other commercial enterprises will enrich BF, enabling longevity of the company over the long run, I'm totally ok with it. The modules will come eventually, I'm quite positive.

I've already picked up on a hint that SF2 is at test stage with a lot of issues emerging, requiring attention before moving forward with a release. Maybe I'm reading too much into what's been stated, but both of these plausible situations could explain why BF has gone quiet since last December.

Hope you are right!

This is the latest piece of information being shared as far as i know...

A respons made by Benpark a few days ago after demands for more information in the CMRT forum...

"I'd rather eat a fully cooked meal than one that is raw in the middle that "looks okay from the outside".

I've got the RT module well underway- The module is being worked on nearly every day, and has been for well over a year now. But there is still more to be done in order to show people something that incorporates the cool new stuff. Otherwise you get weird, untextured bits, bugs and weird game behaviors when you weren't prepared to show something. THAT causes problems, and opens up questions that are really a waste of everyone's time, because that's not how the game will look by release. 
Getting everything slotted in, in the right way takes a loooooong time and is a huge amount of effort, to say nothing of- planning the module, making the maps (the maps!), making the campaigns, building the scenarios, testing, 2D artwork, 3D artwork, testing, testing, TESTING everything. And so on.
PR may not seem to be the main effort (the crew is too small for that now)- but the games are. That may put some people off that like updates, and I do get it- but within reason. We all like to see the new stuff, I'm the same in that respect.
Really- I would love to show off some things we have nearly done or are complete. But there are other parts that aren't slotted in or in progress, so it would screw everyone up to see them in that state- and give an inaccurate representation of a huge amount of effort. I'm sure Steve would respond "When it's ready....", which is the best, most honest answer that can be given. You can take that as frustrating, or as a truly honest answer- but it is indeed the truth, regardless.
I think I've said all I can say at the moment. Hang in there. The games are coming, and the extra time isn't being wasted. There is constant work being done, to a very high standard on every aspect of the various BFC endevors."

and

"There can be no screenshots until art is all in place. Otherwise, it will look an awful lot like RT in too many places, and most people will not get that. There is indeed information in my post- that there can't be screenshots without a certain level of art assets slotted in. This title is 3rd on the roster, I believe- so we will see screenshots of the other two titles prior, I would expect.
So, no screenshots for a while yet."

There have also been some simple coments made from other people... beta testers etc.. that work are indeed progressing on several other projects...Among other things some pictures from the CMFI module have been shown...

I guess that the issius with the V4 upgrade have to some degree hampered the development of the forthcomming modules...but every indications are that they are indeed comming...
Hopefully fairly soon...:)

On 5/1/2018 at 9:48 PM, RepsolCBR said:

Getting everything slotted in, in the right way takes a loooooong time and is a huge amount of effort, to say nothing of- planning the module, making the maps (the maps!), making the campaigns, building the scenarios, testing, 2D artwork, 3D artwork, testing, testing, TESTING everything.

How is this new approach different from the old one? ;)

Edited by Ales Dvorak