Monitor Upgrade

JoMac

Ok, my Dell 190s, a 19" 5:4 Resolution non-widescreen monitor (2010 time frame) with 5MS died and thinking of getting the same or slightly larger to play both CMx1 & CMx2, and some older FPS Games like Red-Orchestra and it's Mods.

I've had no problems with that Dell for all the above games (no Graphics stretching, etc), but looking for same or slightly bigger Dell (20") non-widescreen monitor...So, I also noticed a Dell 2007FP (20") 5:4 Resolution non-widescreen but with only 12MS and is 2-3 years an older model type, and thinking of maybe getting that instead of repeat monitor.

Questions:...Do you think I should stay with my Dell 190s Model or try and go for that slightly bigger (not necessarily better) monitor ?...I'm also wondering if the Dell 2007FP with it's 12MS would matter much if playing CMx2 or those older FPS Games.

Of course, if there are other similar non-widescreen Monitors that you would like to  recommend, then that would be nice too.

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

I mess around with the screen res via NVidia controls to get the proper in-game dimensions.  So, no issues...

Was thinking about getting to a 4G res monitor, but cos the text in the CM games are not scalable one wouldn't be able to read the text unless one used a lower res (which I already have to do even with my 30" monitor). 

I got this back in February. Best monitor I've ever had. The 144mhz/5ms refresh kills it. I haven't seen a texture tear since I started using it. Probably too big for you but at the price it is a great monitor, and CM, Total Wars, and Doom all look great on it.  I use it in a very small area and have no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2QN4YP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Needs a display port cable to get the full 144mgz.

Mord.

I'm thinking about upgrading from my 24 inch 1920*1200 to a 30 inch 2500*1600 - so for you who have upgraded to higher resolution, have you noticed a significant lowering of performance with the same graphics settings? I'm afraid my laptop (a good gaming one though) won't handle it, but I'm no tech wiz and can't really understand if it will be a problem or not. Or how big of a problem.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:42 PM, Mord said:

I got this back in February. Best monitor I've ever had. The 144mhz/5ms refresh kills it. I haven't seen a texture tear since I started using it. Probably too big for you but at the price it is a great monitor, and CM, Total Wars, and Doom all look great on it.  I use it in a very small area and have no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2QN4YP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Needs a display port cable to get the full 144mgz.

Mord.

From your link, this one looks very good as well:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074G5G8FT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

Was hoping for a 4:3 aspect ratio, but I guess that really doesn't matter anymore...  But, maybe save for a 4G UHD?

Edited by Erwin

@Rocketman: I'm only running at 1080p but the comp I am using the monitor on is not even a year old yet, so I can't say whether a new one for you would be harder on your processor or not.

@Erwin: I'd never heard of the company and could only find a couple reviews/info on them (outside Amazon) online, but I have been very happy with the monitor. I'd actually bought a 32 inch TV to use and took it back when I found it on Amazon. I am completely happy with the 1080P and didn't think the extra couple hundred dollars for a 1440 or 4k monitor was worth the minuscule gains in graphical fidelity. But everyone is different. I've been gaming at 1080p since 2014 and don't see myself changing any time soon.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...