after 1.32 update the game won't start?

open a ticket, there is likely little anyone here is going to help you with.  I have followed the BF instructions re installing CMSF on several machines and never had an issue.  I am and have been on windows 10 a while now so I doubt that specifically is your issue.  Good news is it does work and I am sure BF can get you up and running.

Windows 10 Fall update user here also submitted ticket, and they can't get it working for me either, the new windows build CE Fall update has messed up ShockForce. I can't run it either or Afghanistan, full uninstall and reinstall, No workie, complete uninstall of virus; and defender you can no longer uninstall, as it's built into the new Fall updated version. 

everything they suggested I tried, it's now in Battlefronts court,  fix it or I get a refund.

Edited by Wolfseven

8 minutes ago, Wolfseven said:

Windows 10 Fall update user here also submitted ticket, and they can't get it working for me either, the new windows build CE Fall update has messed up ShockForce. I can't run it either or Afghanistan, full uninstall and reinstall, No workie, complete uninstall of virus; and defender you can no longer uninstall, as it's built into the new Fall updated version. 

everything they suggested I tried, it's now in Battlefronts court,  fix it or I get a refund.

Is that smerhing specific to CE?

5 minutes ago, sburke said:

Is that [something] fixed it for ya, specific to CE?

I don't know as I don't work at BF, and only they can tell you how many people are using this new edition. and whether it's affecting only those two titles.

I beta test several games, and yea windows CE Fall update messed up a lot of games. I'm assuming BF, had access to the new CE fall update information Windows 10 microsoft announced to 3rd party vendors, on the changes to the digital system and BF probably either ignored the changes, or forgot? I have no idea. but since the latest versions of BF titles work, I'm going to say they new about the changes and ignored their older products i.e. Shockforce 1, and Afghanistan.

Edited by Wolfseven

17 hours ago, Wolfseven said:

I beta test several games, and yea windows CE Fall update messed up a lot of games. 

Yeah not just games. There are several vendors of various sizes that have issues.

17 hours ago, Wolfseven said:

I'massuming BF, had access to the new CE fall update information Windows 10 microsoft announced to 3rd party vendors, on the changes to the digital system and BF probably either ignored the changes, or forgot? I have no idea. but since the latest versions of BF titles work, I'm going to say they new about the changes and ignored their older products i.e. Shockforce 1, and Afghanistan.

Woah now. I work at a larger company (but still small) than BFC and not only did we not know / notice anything about important changes in the latest windows update there was no communication that said yoy devs you need to pay attention to x or y. They could have sent something like that but if they did it was not attention grabbing.

We were lucky and seem to not be effected. We also have a hand full of people who get the bleading edge builds. To lay the blame on BFC so strongly is not fair, IMHO.

6 hours ago, IanL said:

Yeah not just games. There are several vendors of various sizes that have issues.

Woah now. I work at a larger company (but still small) than BFC and not only did we not know / notice anything about important changes in the latest windows update there was no communication that said yoy devs you need to pay attention to x or y. They could have sent something like that but if they did it was not attention grabbing.

We were lucky and seem to not be effected. We also have a hand full of people who get the bleading edge builds. To lay the blame on BFC so strongly is not fair, IMHO.

Well I'm basing this off of Microsoft's statement on the reason for the lack of support, from the vendors. I read in their statement 12 months ago they sent out warning they were doing this. Now how ever I know they tell vendors what changes they are making ask them (vendors) to submit their drivers and exe, to make sure they work. or report what's not working. For instance I know AMD, NVIDIA have to communicate directly with Microsoft's windows division. Sound, video codecs, etc.ect. I'm not blaming BFC, but well those 2 games are now broken on my machine and refuse to run. I still think it's something to do with Defender being hard coded into the Windows 10 CE but as Microsoft support told me, its on BFC's end.

I just installed the entire CMSF series on a AMD Ryzen system running Windows 10 v. 1709 and the Avast (free) anti-virus. Avast interfered at times (especially with the patches), but after each module install, activating said module the game ran fine. This includes the 1.32 patch. In my case there was no need to make any changes to the DEP settings. That may not always be true for everyone and it could vary depending on the CPU and motherboard you have.

Where was the 1.32 patch downloaded from ? I suggest selecting the 'Battlefront server' for the download (which will actually come from Battlefront's Sharefile account).

For now, reinstall the 1.31 patch and make sure that ALL of the appropriate boxes are checked during the patch install (i.e. - checkmarks for each module that you have and the base game). See if CMSF runs now. Hopefully it does. Disable any anti-virus you have (temporarily) and run the recently downloaded 1.32 patch by right-clicking it and selecting 'Run as administrator' from the popup menu. Again, make sure that all of the appropriate boxes are checked in the patch installation. With that finished attempt to run CMSF and see if it gives you the same error (with your anti-virus/security software disabled). You will want to launch the game again with the right-click and 'Run as administrator' selection again. Hopefully this works (and the game has been patched to 1.32 as seen at the bottom middle of the main menu screen). If it does, go ahead and exit the game and then re-enable your anti-virus/security software and add an exception for the Battlefront directory that is typically in your 'Program Files (x86)' directory (assuming you're running the 64-bit version of Windows).

Edited by Schrullenhaft

• 2 months later...

Well, I realize this thread and the other one have been specific to Windows OS, but I had the same issue on my Mac Pro. I have the CMSF Bundle (CMSF, Marines, British, and NATO) installed on my Mac. It worked fine in OS 10.12.x until I moved it from its original HD location to a new SSD. After I did that, I got an error message on attempted startup saying to contact the developer. I put in a ticket, and Steve worked with me for a couple of weeks trying to correct the issue, including deleting and downloading again, and running a terminal program that BF support wrote. We failed. Steve finally said that he felt it was related to the old licensing coding and the new Mac OS, and that we would have to wait for the new engine. I haven't been able to play it for almost a year now. It has NOT been due to any lack of effort by Steve or BF though. Sometimes crap just happens. Still waiting patiently though, and just reinstalled my PC version of CMSF and Marines on my Windows 7 side, patched it, and am using that. The game was not made with a 4K monitor in mind though, so it's not playing well with the text.

Edited by Vet 0369

7 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

Well, I realize this thread and the other one have been specific to Windows OS, but I had the same issue on my Mac Pro. I have the CMSF Bundle (CMSF, Marines, British, and NATO) installed on my Mac. It worked fine in OS 10.12.x until I moved it from its original HD location to a new SSD. After I did that, I got an error message on attempted startup saying to contact the developer. I put in a ticket, and Steve worked with me for a couple of weeks trying to correct the issue, including deleting and downloading again, and running a terminal program that BF support wrote. We failed. Steve finally said that he felt it was related to the old licensing coding and the new Mac OS, and that we would have to wait for the new engine. I haven't been able to play it for almost a year now. 

Man that sucks.  The good news is CMSF2 is coming and should resolve your issues and be a better game all around.  I'd hate computers except that without them I'd have no computer games.....

7 minutes ago, sburke said:

Man that sucks.  The good news is CMSF2 is coming and should resolve your issues and be a better game all around.  I'd hate computers except that without them I'd have no computer games.....

Well, I still have ALL of my original Avalon Hill Advanced Squad Leader modules except for the last three from the new company, so I would still be able to scratch that itch😀