BMP-3 on the firing range

Ivanov

On 12/9/2017 at 6:05 AM, The Steppenwulf said:

I'd like to see some even simpler features such as engine audio file cut out when tanks are on hide command - reflecting lower sound signature!

Would a tank have a lower tank signature?  I don’t expect they would turn off the engine so yes it would just be idling, but how quiet is an idling tank?  Think we need a professional to chime in. 

2 hours ago, sburke said:

Would a tank have a lower tank signature?  I don’t expect they would turn off the engine so yes it would just be idling, but how quiet is an idling tank?  Think we need a professional to chime in. 

Tanks used in defensive situations (e.g. hull down, ambush positions) are almost certain to cut their engines. Gas is not unlimited. Back up electrical supply (APU) allows the vehicle's system to operate for reasonable periods of time without recharge. 

It's not just sound that can give a tank away, it's also the infrared heat signature provided from a hot running engine. A cold engine being much harder to spot. The question of how long to cool for the benefit to arise, are perhaps reasons why it probably isn't modelled. Nevertheless consider a player wishing to maintain armour in ambush from the start of the scenario and the engine therefore off. Clearly this should confer a "hide advantage" in this particular circumstance - from distant as well as close visual "spotters".

A benefit from zero sound signature probably only confer advantage against fairly local infantry on foot, since a force's own vehicles or aircraft own engine sounds will drown out enemy vehicles engine sound anyhow. It's these differentials that may explain why (I suspect) it hasn't been modelled but clearly there are some parameters where it could be applicable and simulated in the current CM engine as a new feature.  

Edited by The Steppenwulf

Leopard 2 is a notoriously loud tank. The Swiss received so many civilian complaints about the engine roar reverberating off the hillsides that they retro-fitted a huge muffler system onto the back end. German tank crewe switched from traditional berets to caps with ear flaps because of the oppressive interior noise. Abrams' low sound signature gets bragged about so much that we're all tired of hearing about it ;).

Oh, and I believe the Army pulled the plug on Boston Dynamics robot mule program due to sound signature issues. It was rather like infantry going on patrol accompanied by a riding lawnmower.

Edited by MikeyD

20 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Abrams' low sound signature gets bragged about so much that we're all tired of hearing about it

Conversely its heat signature is terrible due to the fact that it's a gas turbine engine and they run twice as hot as diesel. I would conjecture that Eastern Block vehicles, being diesel, have a lower heat signature in this regard, though there are other factors such as ambient temperature that are at play in all these matters. 

1. No, I wasn't able to find the numbers again within reasonable time :( What I remember are the reasons...
  2. 2A42 dispersion is higher than M242 as the former is gas rather than chain operated.
  3. 2A72 in BMP-3 mount moved away from gas opeation to long recoil thus trading decrease in peak recoil force and weight reduction for signinficant increase in dispersion.
  4.  2A72 in BTR-82A mount stepped away from the original BMP-3 mount where 2A72 is strapped to 2A70. So barrel sway increased significantly increased dispersion even further. An attempt to alleviate the problem was made by further reducing the ROF. I've never seen the numbers on how successful it was.

What I found by quick googling is http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a262492.pdf stating M242 single-shot AP-I practical dispersion at 0.40+ mrads. HEI is stated to be way higher. Factory values for AP-I I saw back then were way lower.

Edited by IMHO