can not play these game any more?

CM Afghanistan, and shock force I get error launching 

(0x0000142) application was unable to start when did this start happening?

is the new windows 10 CE?

all the other new version 4.0 work no issues. 

tried to reinstall still same error.

Edited by Wolfseven

Try right clicking the exe shortcut, select properties, select compatibility, then check "run this program in compatibility mode", and try some of the selections. I recommend, either Win 7-8 or XP (service pack 3).

Mord.

Edited by Mord

3 hours ago, Wolfseven said:

CM Afghanistan, and shock force I get error launching 

(0x0000142) application was unable to start when did this start happening?

is the new windows 10 CE?

all the other new version 4.0 work no issues. 

tried to reinstall still same error.

I run both in windows 10 so it may be a little finer than that.  You have any software updates recently particularly to security programs?  CMA and CMSF have different licensing set ups so it would not be totally surprising to see only those get affected.

Yeah, that's true. Didn't think of that. When I used to use Norton I had to exclude all CM related files (from scans, which included shortcuts, and all folders) to keep it from screwing me whenever it felt like it.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

yes I already tried the compatibility before I came in here to ask about it. no AVAST isn't blocking it. defender is off. 

it's something with the stupid windows 10 CE Fall update.

windows error reporting states it's a .dll error in the exe file. states its registry digitally has expired?

Edited by Wolfseven

Windows 10 Home v1709 OS build 16299.98

don't know why if you're on the same system I'm on it works for your but not me I'll have to try the regedit delete option this is a pain i'm going to lose all my missions.

there was a security update on thursday https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051963/windows-10-update-kb4051963

maybe this stuffed it,.

1 minute ago, Wolfseven said:

Windows 10 Home v1709 OS build 16299.98

don't know why if you're on the same system I'm on it works for your but not me I'll have to try the regedit delete option this is a pain i'm going to lose all my missions.

there was a security update on thursday https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051963/windows-10-update-kb4051963

maybe this stuffed it,.

copy your save files off somewhere else.  Even if you did a complete fresh build of a PC you should not lose your missions.

8 hours ago, Combatintman said:

And ... as most of these threads end up saying - if none of that works, open a support ticket with Battlefront.

• Combat Mission: Shock Force Tech Support

ok I thought coming in here and asking for help would help. But as you just pointed out it doesn't and I had already as you say put in a support ticket. 

are you a moderator or beta tester or employee of the CM series? I didn't think so, you had nothing to add to this conversation.

13 minutes ago, Wolfseven said:
  • Combat Mission: Shock Force Tech Support

ok I thought coming in here and asking for help would help. But as you just pointed out it doesn't and I had already as you say put in a support ticket. 

are you a moderator or beta tester or employee of the CM series? I didn't think so, you had nothing to add to this conversation.

As it happens I am a Beta tester and you did not say that you had opened a ticket so I think it was a fair comment. Anyway, whatever, I hope you get it fixed.

Look for the 'Runservice.exe' file in your Windows directory. It is also listed in the 'Services' control panel (within the Administrative Tools') and look for the 'LicCtrlService' and see if it is running. This is the eLicense service that has to be running for CMSF and CMA to work. I don't think Avast messes around with this file, but you can potentially add an exception within Avast to make sure that it doesn't. Runservice.exe will only be present after a successful activation of the game (any eLicense protected game). If this file and its registry settings (to have it launch as a 'service') are not present, then you need to activate the game again. However the games should recognize that they are not activated (the 'Runservice.exe' is not present and the game is not registering with it as being activated) and prompt you to activate again if this were the case (under normal circumstances).

Also, you may need to add the DEP settings for the game executables and the Runservice.exe exectuable. eLicense 0xc0000005 error. Though this gives a different error code, it MIGHT be related to what you're experiencing.

Finally, are you right-clicking to launch and selecting 'Run as administrator' from the popup menu ? This may be necessary after the Fall Creator's Update (though not everyone may need to do it). There is also a checkbox within the 'Properties' > 'Compatibility' tab at the bottom that will allow you to launch the game without having to right-click it each time.

Unlike CMBN and later games (that use a different copy-protection system) CMSF and CMA have not had any updates to the eLicense service (its the same version as when the games were originally released to my knowledge). Interestingly the new copy-protection software needed to be updated to be compatible with Windows 10. eLicense on the other hand didn't need this update to my knowledge. I don't think that the latest (v. 1709) version of Windows 10 would interfere with the eLicense service, but possibly it has.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

As far as we know there is no inherent conflict between eLicense and Windows 10.  Since we have a ton of people using Strategic Command games, most of which use eLicense, it's pretty certain there's no Windows 10 specific issues in and of itself.  Some sort of combo factor between Windows 10 and something else?  Sure, always a possibility.

As Schrully stated, the original iteration of Gameshield protection, used for CMBN v1.xx and SCWW1 through v1.06 (IIRC), did have a problem with Windows 10.  As I remember it some Windows library changed radically and that broke it.  But everything since then works fine with Windows 10.

Steve

A person anecdote.
I have CMSF1 on my peripheral HD. It plays no problem on my old computer but refuses to start on my new. Not a copy of the game the very same exe on the very same hard drive.
The application error I get is (0xc00000005). If you look up that code it appears to be a grab bag of random Windows-related exe failures

0xc00000005 error messages often appear as a result of cluttered Windows registry or faulty entries of non-existent programs which are usually due to improper software uninstalls. Other common reasons may include incorrect user input, missing files that were accidentally deleted from the registry and cause system malfunctions. Keeping track of when and where your error has occured is a critical piece of information for troubleshooting the problem.

• 1 month later...

So for these programs you have already modified the 'Properties' > 'Compatibility' tab for a Compatibility setting of Windows 7 (or something along those lines) AND checked the 'Run as Administrator' box in this tab ? Have you also checked to make sure that the 'Runservice.exe' file is in the Windows directory and that Avast is set to not interfere with it (it normally doesn't, but just in case) ? Also make sure that the 'Runservice.exe' is set to run within the 'Services' control panel (right-click on the Start Menu and select 'Computer Management', then 'Services and Applications' and finally 'Services'). You need to look for the 'LicCtrl Service' and see that it is 'Started'. If necessary stop and restart the service.

eLicense has two DLL files associated with it, 'elicen40.dll' and 'msvcr71.dll'. The latter DLL file is something created by Microsoft. The 'msvcr71.dll' file will be in the Windows directory along with the 'runservice.exe' file. The 'elicen40.dll' file will be in the root of the CMSF and CMA game directories. I don't know if either of these files get called up AFTER the games have been activated other than to unlicense and reactivate the games. You can possibly attempt to unlicense the games and see if the dialog box comes up. If it does, then I would assume that eLicense in general is working (or at least the DLLs are present and functional in a certain manner). Unlike the copy-protection system with the later CM games, you can unlicense and reactivate without worrying about an activation count of any sort (other than remembering where you have the games installed and activated - on different computers or partitions).

I see that you have some sort of McAfee security software in your browser. Perhaps disabling that temporarily (and possibly other security software) might allow the download to proceed.

Was the 'Runservice.exe' file in your 'C:\Windows' directory ? The 'msvcr71.dll' file also needs to be in the 'C:\Windows' directory (I don't think it will do anything being in the game's main directory). If the 'Runservice.exe' file is not in the Windows directory, then the 'LicCtrl Service' will not run because that file is what the service is. Without this being able to run, then the games that are eLicense copy-protected will not run (CMSF and CMA).