Putting the game down, too buggy to enjoy. Sorry Oppo's. *vid*

Gamma

This game in it's current state is flawed beyond being playable in my books. I have quite a few games going and this particular situation keeps popping up in all my games. Setting my units up and then having them just RUN away from well gained positions ... WHAT'S THE POINT? 

This one takes the cake. 

WHAT>?

Edited by Gamma

heh I sympathize but I can't really see the whole story from the vid.  It does look like the unit was starting to suffer suppression.  Whether that is enough to have them vacate the position is another question.  Good news is that is being looked at so if you are going to put the game down, just make it temporary.  Keep an eye on updates.

Great vid. It looks like the backblast caused them to flee...and then die. Here's what happened. The backblast produced noxious, blinding, smoke. They had to flee or they'd die. Or, at least, that's what it felt like, what with their ears bleeding and them coughing and all. Vlad led them out to the first piece of daylight he saw. Too bad it was the front door. Bad Vlad, bad.

;)

I get your frustration. BFC had top knob twisters twisting knobs to adjust this. It's known.

It's not an AT-4, but here's a similar RL video:

http://www.military.com/video/operations-and-strategy/antitank-weapons/where-not-to-fire-a-rocket-launcher/1949145105001

There was also this thread:

There was a thread discussing the TacAI not staying put under bombardment, which may have been triggered in your case as well:

@Gamma this is the AI bug, we sympathize. There's a temporary work around. If you want a unit to stand its ground unless it literally panics (re.: no longer is capable of taking orders) use the "pause" command. If its paused indefinitely, it holds its place indefinitely. That's the only solution until they patch.

Unfortunately it still makes attacking AI trivial. I haven't played a SP game since 4.0 came out...

I went through and read the whole CptMiller thread last week. This bug has been around since April, APRIL. I'm trying to get back into playing CM after being forced to pay for a Patch that ruins the game. I'm sorry if I'm coming off crass but how are people playing this game?

The pause command is a terrible work around. Besides not doing important functions like reload, they wont move at all if they actually take incoming HE.

@machor My troops were Crack. I get the back blast effect but what exactly does buying crack troops with high moral get me? I may as well just start buying mass Green armies and a ****load of Artillery and start some really weird PBEMs.

39 minutes ago, Machor said:

I was gritting my teeth waiting for the inevitable. Interesting that the dude up front got completely laid out instantly.

Don't back blasts in general liquefy your organs?

Mord.

Edited by Mord

to be brutally frank all the games (excepting CMSF) are at 4.0 and I still see plenty of threads of people still enjoying it. (for example see Ciembienne thread under CMBN) so the contention that it is completely unplayable is a subjective opinion.  If it feels unplayable to you then it is unplayable to you.  The issue is being looked at as has been noted.  While April to now likely seems excessive to you, it isn't.  It is not like BF can just say, huh you don't like that?  Here it is fixed.  Correcting AI behavior that may be an unintended consequence of other changes means understanding those changes, understanding how it affects other behaviors, figuring out how to correct and then test, verify if it is right , recycle if it doesn't etc.

I can only suggest to be patient, it is a high priority as Steve has noted himself.

57 minutes ago, Gamma said:

I'm trying to get back into playing CM after being forced to pay for a Patch that ruins the game.

I was with you until this part...over dramatic. Other than that I think sburke answered it fairly succinctly.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

45 minutes ago, Gamma said:

The pause command is a terrible work around. 

I never said it was perfect. That's why it's called a work around. As for reloading; nah, sorry you're bulldusting or speaking too generally. I've just finished filming a series of PBEMs in 4.0 and reloading works perfectly fine for anyone in a battle position. The only time they don't reload is when there's a series of movement waypoints - but that's how Pause always worked. 

Your complaints are legitimate, and well known. Beating a dead horse in the shrillest way possible is just tiring. 

Edited by Rinaldi

4 minutes ago, Gamma said:

Using the wrong word, what I was looking for was re-man. 

no worries and before this gets any more excitable, we all have our rage quit moments.  If we didn't really like the game we wouldn't get emotional about it.  Just hang in there.  It is being looked at.

3 hours ago, Gamma said:

This one takes the cake.

I have to admit, I laughed when I saw the video. It strikes me as a Monty Python moment. An ATGM team fires its ATGM, and is so terrified by the backblast they literally run away. "Brave, brave sir Robin..."

As others have already said, this issue is known, and it is going to be fixed. You have to understand that BFC is backlogged right now. Bug squashing is not a simple thing to do. It takes a lot of time, even if the results of the bug (in this case, infantry fleeing when they should not) is known. 

I'm glad that @Machor has already linked my thread on the issue, and that you have taken the time to read through it. Aside from the pause workaround, I would recommend rolling back to v3 for now. I've done that with all my CM games (excluding CMBN as it is very large and has multiple licenses I have to worry about) and I can tell you the singleplayer experience is much better. 

Again, I get your frustrations, but screaming at the sky (or other forum members) isn't going to change anything. Try rolling your version back to 3.0 and enjoy that until the patch is released. You'll enjoy yourself a lot more. 

cowards, just plain cowards. (That is what your men are.)

Just take the advice and go back to version 3 as has been recommended if you cannot handle it.

I have been playing h2h in version 4 since it has come out, at this point I do not even think about it anymore.

But I really cannot understand what triggers  or not triggers it at times. I am playing a battle right now that I have had a bunch of shot up troops from different units hold up in a building which has taken all sorts of fire and some of the units have stuck it out as die hards, true heroic stand. Then as shown in your example, sometimes units will flee way to easy.

Only the programmer can tell you why , but they don't. and as for the how long it takes to get something fixed. I am with you, they take way too long. I figure at this point it will only be done when the new releases come out. No patch.  

But I have no control of that so I just have to wait, I would take my business else where if I could, but really they are the only ones in town. So I patiently wait since nothing else can be done about it.

Edited by slysniper

15 hours ago, Mord said:

I was gritting my teeth waiting for the inevitable. Interesting that the dude up front got completely laid out instantly.

Don't back blasts in general liquefy your organs?

Mord.

I'm waiting for the guy to say "Oh S&#$ my wife's gonna kill me for firing this in the living room!"

5 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

No one forced you to buy the upgrade. You only have yourself to blame. There have been plenty of threads discussing the bugs inherent to v4 since it was released a year ago. Enough with the over dramatic victimhood. 

stop already man, he bought it because his pbem partner was at 4.0.  He already said he is just griping because of that.  It's okay no need to drag him onto hot coals and apply the pincers.   Hopefully soon this will be corrected and we can all find something else to stir our angst.  Besides we have to be nice to him.  If I have to apply to move to Canada I want friends who will vouch for me there.  :D

2 hours ago, sburke said:

stop already man, he bought it because his pbem partner was at 4.0.  He already said he is just griping because of that.  It's okay no need to drag him onto hot coals and apply the pincers.   Hopefully soon this will be corrected and we can all find something else to stir our angst.  Besides we have to be nice to him.  If I have to apply to move to Canada I want friends who will vouch for me there.  :D

Is Vietnam kicking off again .... ;)

7 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

No one forced you to buy the upgrade. You only have yourself to blame. There have been plenty of threads discussing the bugs inherent to v4 since it was released a year ago. Enough with the over dramatic victimhood. 

Oh, and I see now, the Capt. was a Drill Sargent at first...That explains away his attitude towards him :P