The Long Road Home

sburke

For anyone watching this series (and I highly recommend it) I have been doing some searching for additional material to understand the engagement

The Series

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/the-long-road-home/videos/in-the-valley-of-death/

Other material - There is some of the usual like Wikipedia, but am not getting much new from that.  This one has a good map showing the routes as discussed in the show, locations of various actions etc.  It is written from the perspective of C troop 2nd Bn 37th Armored so presents something that is discussed in the show, but so far not represented.

http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/AIWFC/COIN/repository/Sadr_City-Armor-Moore(Nov-Dec04).pdf

That sucks, it is a regular broadcast channel here.  the ebook is available on Amazon for $12, but the Nat'l Geo program is really well done.  They have taken a few liberties with the story, but so far the feel of the situation is very accurate both for the troops involved and their families back home.  Many of those families were involved in the production.

29 minutes ago, SLIM said:

Looks like they farmed a bunch of kit and actors from Generation Kill.
I'll check it out.

The set for it is supposedly one of if not the largest movie sets around.   The Main Street is about 300 yards IIRC. They had vets who participated in the fight review it and they commented that it was accurate down to the graffiti.  They did a really fantastic job of involving the vets to make sure they were telling their story. 

9 hours ago, akd said:
On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:49 AM, Sandokan said:

"This content is not available in your location". Meh. I'm missing a lot of interesting stuff.

iTunes?

Oh, I thought it worked with apple gizmos only. Going to check this, thanks for the advice.

Edited by Sandokan
Spelling!