Campaign editing

10 hours ago, Steinfisch said:

@Admin: May I publish a tool to edit the campaign files (battletime for scenarios...) or would it violate the license agreement?

Steinfisch

What does the tool do?

Unless you're using it to open, modify, then re-pack campaigns and publish/sell them as your own, I don't see how it could violate the license agreement. As IanL already linked to, there is a campaign unpack tool that's been around in various versions since CMBN, and that is perfectly fine. My guess would be that you're good to go. 

On 11/19/2017 at 11:27 AM, Steinfisch said:

Yes I know 'CMx2 ScAnCaDe'. It provides a very fine overview but it cannot reassemble the campaign after editing, it uses java with its security problems, and it's rather slow because its unpacking all files in all campaigns.

Is your tool able to repack the campaign? Do you have a working prototype?

30 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

Is your tool able to repack the campaign? Do you have a working prototype?

Yes, it is. I is in pre alpha stadium and I send it to you via mail if battlefront agrees. The scenarios cant being edited by my tool because some informations are redundant and contained in an decoded form. So you load the campaign with my tool, let the program opened while you edit the scenarios with the CM Editor. The scenarios all in a folder 'CMUUTemporary'. After finishing the scenario editing you close my tool and it will ask you if you want to save the campaign.

At the moment you can view the other campaign properties but not change. In the next days I will complete editing depending of your wishes. Unfortunately I can only program some minutes in the evening at the moment.

(Maybe I find a way to send via this forum)

On 11/18/2017 at 10:43 PM, Steinfisch said:

@Admin: May I publish a tool to edit the campaign files (battletime for scenarios...) or would it violate the license agreement?

Steinfisch

Yes. No. Simple. Enjoy and have fun with the editor. Just give credit to the original designer if you upload your edited creations. 

Kevin

2 hours ago, Steinfisch said:

Yes, it is. I is in pre alpha stadium and I send it to you via mail if battlefront agrees. The scenarios cant being edited by my tool because some informations are redundant and contained in an decoded form. So you load the campaign with my tool, let the program opened while you edit the scenarios with the CM Editor. The scenarios all in a folder 'CMUUTemporary'. After finishing the scenario editing you close my tool and it will ask you if you want to save the campaign.

At the moment you can view the other campaign properties but not change. In the next days I will complete editing depending of your wishes. Unfortunately I can only program some minutes in the evening at the moment.

(Maybe I find a way to send via this forum)

Sounds very interesting! I would very much like to test it out for you if you are looking for testers. You can send it via PM here on the forum. 

34 minutes ago, Broadsword56 said:

Can you please explain what the files are, what they do, and how to use them?

Combat Mission Universal Utility Help

You use this tool at your own responsibility. To prevent irreversible lost of data save all game files befor use!

With the help of CMUU you can modify the campaign files, change the scenario sequence, add and delete scenarios (battles) and change some scenario preferences. Further features will be installed later.

The scenario files (.btt) cannto be edited by the tool at the moment because there are some encoded data blocks. Thats why CMUU unpacks all scenario files (.btt) in a subfolder of the campaign folder called 'CM' after start. You can edit theese files using the editor included in the CM executable. After ending this editing process you should return to CMUU and 'Save' the campaign. Edit the campaign properties using the right property window.

You can select a single .btt file outside CMUU and Copy it to the clipboard. Then you can paste it into CMUU. You can open multiple campaign files at the same time and copy/paste it between the campaigns.

It's also possible to create a campaign script from the currently loaded campaign. To do this use the toolbar button 'Make Campaign Script'.

To load scenario .btt files doesn't make sense at the moment for the reasons mentioned above.

Best regards

Steinfisch

Mail to mumumba@gmx.de

CMM uses CMx2 ScAnCaDe sources by Mad Mike

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Just used this tool to unpack all the campaigns that I own - I've come in through Steam and have all the games and DLCs available so far and will get ay others as they come out. I'm looking forward to Engine 5 to improve performance (no pressure). My laptop is struggling even with everything else switched off and priority pushed to High: Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15ITL6 with 11th Gen Intel 2.40GHz and 16 GB RAM

I know it's cheating to look at the AI opponent dispositions, but I think it will help me learn tactics. Simple things like how to go through the gap in the hedgerow in 'Raff goes Inland's' Overwatch objective. Initially I didn't use smoke or scouts, so I'm just trying different options on that specific move.

I notice that one Campaign in 'Shock Force 2', 'Highland Games', throws an exception and doesn't unpack. I'm not complaining, just commenting:

CMx2 ScAnCaDe v2.0
05/01/2024 20:29:52

sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.position(Unknown Source)

Parser.ParsingUtilities.getfourByteArrayfromFileChannel(ParsingUtilities.java:122)

Parser.CampaignReader.readSingleCampaign(CampaignReader.java:520)

Parser.CampaignReader.readCampaignsfromCurrentDirectory(CampaignReader.java:754)

Main_Application.CMx2_ScAn_CaDe_Main.main(CMx2_ScAn_CaDe_Main.java:97)

• 3 weeks later...

Is the above mentioned universal utility lost forever? Latest versions (I guess) had this thread: 

None of the links work anymore.

I believe it had capability of getting/writing the campaign script of existing campaigns and/or repacking modified campaigns. If anyone has the tool I would appreciate it!

Thanks!