Playing Combat Mission on 55" HD tv

Hey gents, I was wondering if any of you can help.  My monitor died so I hooked up to my 55" Vizio.  I can play most of my games but none of the Combat Mission games(normandy, Red Thunder, Final Blitz)  I get an error that says does not support that resolution.  I tried to launch in smaller resolution but nothing seems to be working.

Kind Regards 

Logan

Is your resolution in the CM games set to 'Desktop' ? Typically the CM games should run at most of the available desktop resolutions that you may be running at. I assume your 55" Vizio TV/Monitor is running at 1920 x 1080 (HD resolution). If you've set the CM games to run at something else, then the monitor may not support those other resolutions.

As a last resort you could potentially edit the 'display size.txt' file (within each CM game's main directory). Replace the "0 0 0" with something like "1920 1080 60" and save it (as a simple text file with no 'carriage return / enter' at the end). There will be a single space between each number.

"As a last resort you could potentially edit the 'display size.txt' file (within each CM game's main directory). Replace the "0 0 0" with something like "1920 1080 60" and save it (as a simple text file with no 'carriage return / enter' at the end). There will be a single space between each number."

As someone who does that all the time to get the dimensions of the game correct onscreen, am not convinced that one needs the "60".  IIRC leaving it at 0 lets the monitor run at a default refresh rate.

8 hours ago, Bloody Bill said:

Thanks Mord.  This has worked.  My wife will not get the tv back now.

Excellent, glad it worked. It's one of those things that is so cryptic it is surprising that it was ever figured out.

Just explain to her that the responsibilities of war are much more important than TV shows. That should work...

Mord.

I've been able to play CM on a full sized TV using Steam Link without any issues. For those that don't know what Steam Link is, it allows you to stream games from your computer to your TV. You can plug a controller or mouse/keyboard into it and play computer games on your TV like its a console. Combat Mission worked just fine when I tried it.

15 hours ago, Holien said:

Ears picked up....

@Cpt what do you use to control the game on the TV? Mouse and keyboard sat on your lap?

A wireless mouse/keyboard on a coffee table. 

Mind you, I don't normally play CM on the TV, and if I did I would likely need a more proper set-up (such as a desk or something for the mouse/keyboard)

I bought one of these type tables a couple years back. It's perfect for gaming in a lounge chair, on a sofa, or even in bed. There's plenty of room for a keyboard and mouse with some extra space if you need it. It works great and has a very small footprint.

450.jpg

Mord.

Thanks for the responses, I guess it would need those as no easy way to navigate without. Was hoping there was a magical controller, but should have really thought it through.

Roald Dahl made himself a great laptop desktop for writing on while in his favourite chair. I will maybe take that as inspiration, as Mords option is a bit too much like those in hospital.

article-2037166-02B64BB30000044D-845_468

4 hours ago, Mord said:

I bought one of these type tables a couple years back. It's perfect for gaming in a lounge chair, on a sofa, or even in bed. There's plenty of room for a keyboard and mouse with some extra space if you need it. It works great and has a very small footprint.

450.jpg

Mord.

And it makes things so much easier on your spouse for serving you breakfast in bed!  :rolleyes: