What Computer Games Get "Wrong" about War

1 minute ago, JoMc67 said:

Hey, Combat Mission is still at least 50% more realistic then most other similar games on the Market...

Yes, exactly, that is why I am perplex he hasn't come across with it yet. He could have used it as a tool to create his informative videos. 

1 minute ago, Hister said:

Yes, exactly, that is why I am perplex he hasn't come across with it yet. He could have used it as a tool to create his informative videos. 

I Think you should inform him about this on his Youtube Video...See what comes of it.

4 minutes ago, Hister said:

I did under the same link I provided. I go by the name Nejc and Trusnovec is my surname. :D Let's cross our fingers he sees it. 

I mean it's good that you did, but he already based his info on the standard Strategy (Hearts of Iron), Tactical (Close Combat), and RT Games meant for the mass Market, and not a niche game like CM.

Edited by JoMc67

1 minute ago, JoMc67 said:

I mean it's good that you did, but he already based his info on the standard Strategy (Hearts of Iron) & Tactical Games (Close Combat) or other similar mass market games, and not a niche game like CM.

That's why he will be pleasantly surprised when he will spot this game because this will widen his visual capabilities repertoire. 

7 minutes ago, Mord said:

That's funny, I actually watched that video a few weeks ago and my first thoughts were how CM covered a lot of his points.

Mord.

I only bumped into his channel a few days ago. Yes, many of his points he makes in the video are ticked by CM. And he also asks that if someone knows of the game that delivers many of those points he should be notified about it. This video is not recent so I'm not sure if he monitors comments from his previous videos much especially since he has so much content available and above 100k views per video... 

He is practically my neighbor - not sure if he lives in Austria or in Germany now but he is Austrian. He is also a school-case example of how German and Austrian mind works - it's very analytical and methodical as are his videos. :D

Edited by Hister

I only discovered him a few weeks back while looking for homemade history documentaries (which seem to be a nice little genre on Youtube). I think I didn't reply because this guy had:

Mildly Amusing (11 months ago):

"One game series that does "fog of war" quite well is Combat Mission. Basically, in the higher difficulties, you must always maintain the chain of command between your units, so the squad leaders stay in contact with the platoon HQ, platoon to company, and so on. This can be line of sight for hand signals, speaking/shouting range, radio contact etc. If the chain is broken, you will lose command and even sight on the smaller part of the chain until you re-establish contact.

The chain of command also works for spotting enemy units, so if your front line scout spots an enemy tank, the game first has to simulate that information being passed back up through the chain of command for the rest of your units to be able to see it as well, and that information often gets distorted the further it has to travel. Eg, scout sees a light armoured car, passes info back to his platoon, by the time 2nd platoon hears about this they think its a heavy tank that is 300m away from the actual position, and they would continue to think that until either better links in the chain are established (eg radio contact instead of vague hand signals) or they move up and get line of sight of the enemy themselves."

Though there is plenty more that can be added on other aspects of CM, which you briefly touched on.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

No, a guy named "Mildly Amusing" wrote it 11 months ago, as a response to the video. I remember now, I figured if the Military History guy hadn't replied after 11 months, it wasn't worth bothering. It doesn't look like he replies to anything. But maybe you can get him to.

Mord.

Yeah, once those dudes get really big, it's impossible for them to read, let alone answer comments. The dude has over 2000 comments on that vid alone, so I don't blame him. But if everyone spams him maybe it'll get through.

Mord.

12 hours ago, Mord said:

"One game series that does "fog of war" quite well is Combat Mission. Basically, in the higher difficulties, you must always maintain the chain of command between your units, so the squad leaders stay in contact with the platoon HQ, platoon to company, and so on. This can be line of sight for hand signals, speaking/shouting range, radio contact etc. If the chain is broken, you will lose command and even sight on the smaller part of the chain until you re-establish contact.

The chain of command also works for spotting enemy units, so if your front line scout spots an enemy tank, the game first has to simulate that information being passed back up through the chain of command for the rest of your units to be able to see it as well, and that information often gets distorted the further it has to travel. Eg, scout sees a light armoured car, passes info back to his platoon, by the time 2nd platoon hears about this they think its a heavy tank that is 300m away from the actual position, and they would continue to think that until either better links in the chain are established (eg radio contact instead of vague hand signals) or they move up and get line of sight of the enemy themselves."

Is this how it worked in CM1? Never got to play it unfortunately.

The only thing I remember in CM1 was units misidentifying vehicles, which would come up as a completely gray blocky generic tank etc. with a question mark on them. Far as I remember once something was spotted everyone on your side knew where it was, regardless of where they were on the map, which made the survivability of AT guns about all of three seconds.

Mord.

Hello! I have been watching Military History Visualized for quite awhile. (Possible 2-3 years I believe). I have watched every single one of his videos ever since I've subscribed to him and I remember there was this video him playing and discussing the Steel Division game. I commented on there as well as a couple others in which we mentioned Combat Mission and other games such as Graviteam Tactics.

I remember seeing a reply to one of the comments and he does know about them I believe. He mentioned that the reason why he hasn't covered them yet is because he has limited time to play games for himself and to analyze them.

I'm sure from remembering his comment that if we could get a lot of people to comment on one of his videos to ask if he would cover Combat Mission OR if someone perhaps is a Patreon of his, he will probably answer a question if you have it. Anyways, just my two cents. He's got great content and always makes us history lovers appreciate his work. Really wish he would give his opinion on CM and it's accuracies... 

Edited by Eremitae

Military History Visualized responded to my message at his website. Here is the email I received today.

====================================================================================

Military History Visualized <militaryhistoryvisualized@gmail.com>
Reply | 18-Nov-2017 9:07 AM
Hi,
thank you for your kind words and suggestions. Sadly, I don't
really have time to play most games anymore, I played the demo
of the first combat mission game back in the early 2000s.
Cheers,
MHV

1 hour ago, Badger73 said:

Military History Visualized responded to my message at his website. Here is the email I received today.

====================================================================================

Military History Visualized <militaryhistoryvisualized@gmail.com>
Reply | 18-Nov-2017 9:07 AM
Hi,
thank you for your kind words and suggestions. Sadly, I don't
really have time to play most games anymore, I played the demo
of the first combat mission game back in the early 2000s.
Cheers,
MHV

OK then., bummer. His loss (and ours too). Thank you.  

Send him a link to a good play through. Trying the CMBO/BB/AK demo is quite a different experience than playing BN or FI. This guy MUST be MADE to UNDERSTAND!

Mord.

Edited by Mord