Troop Breach kits and Barbwire

MOS:96B2P

I knew that only demo charges could be used against OpFor vehicles and not breach kits.  However I just tried to get troops (not engineers) with a breach kit to breach a barbwire fortification and they would not.  Not sure if this (breach kit vs barbwire) was always the case in CMBS and I just forgot or there was a change at some point.  But I thought I would mention it for the common good/knowledge.  

21 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I knew that only demo charges could be used against OpFor vehicles and not breach kits.  However I just tried to get troops (not engineers) with a breach kit to breach a barbwire fortification and they would not.  Not sure if this (breach kit vs barbwire) was always the case in CMBS and I just forgot or there was a change at some point.  But I thought I would mention it for the common good/knowledge.  

Is the blast command unavailable or when you attempt to breach the barbed wire the blast command turns into a quick move?

12 minutes ago, Stefano Z said:

Is the blast command unavailable or when you attempt to breach the barbed wire the blast command turns into a quick move?

No.  Good idea though.  I am aware of the bug you are talking about.  In this case the Blast command shows as a Blast command but the troops just never execute.  Engineers with demos will but not troops with breach kits.  

I believe that is correct. Those breach kits are small and only able to punch a small hole in a wall not move enough wire far enough to make whole. I think in game it is shown as a whole wall is destroyed which makes it feel like it should be able to handle wire but it is only an abstraction.

21 hours ago, IanL said:

I believe that is correct. Those breach kits are small and only able to punch a small hole in a wall not move enough wire far enough to make whole. I think in game it is shown as a whole wall is destroyed which makes it feel like it should be able to handle wire but it is only an abstraction.

Okay, so it is then.  I think this behavior is okay because we have work arounds (send engineers or have an armor vehicle crush the barbwire).  Of course players and scenario designers should be aware of this behavior.  The UI will allow the troops with a breach kit to place the Blast command making the player think everything is okay.   Then hit the red button and watch as the team with the breach kit crawls in circles etc but no BOOM!  (At least not the boom the attack plan depended on)  :D :lol: 

I sometimes wonder how difficult the learning curve for this game is for people who don't read the forum..................       

2 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Okay, so it is then.  I think this behavior is okay because we have work arounds (send engineers or have an armor vehicle crush the barbwire)

What will engineers do? I just tested it and they didn't do anything. And as far as I can tell only tracked vehicles (makes sense) will run the wire over, so that's something to keep in mind.

Mord.

3 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I sometimes wonder how difficult the learning curve for this game is for people who don't read the forum..................     

There is this handy dandy thing called the manual. :) 

Demo charges are only carried by engineers, while breach kits can be carried by some rifle or recon units. The difference between them is that demo charges can also be used in combat against enemy vehicles and infantry at close range, while breach kits only function against walls and building sides.

26 minutes ago, Mord said:

What will engineers do? I just tested it and they didn't do anything. And as far as I can tell only tracked vehicles (makes sense) will run the wire over, so that's something to keep in mind.

Not seeing any issues here with engineers clearing barbed wire.

There's not. I wasn't paying attention to the explosives they were carrying (thought they had breach type charges), they blow holes in wire (just did it). Which is cool. All this time I have been playing CMX2 and it never even occurred to me to try it. Then again I have been out of the loop for the last two years and have forgotten some of the cool little details.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Just want to check I'm following this correctly.....'Engineer' units with 'Demolitions Charges' (as opposed to units with 'Breach Charges') can move through barbed wire using a 'Blast' order?  Or do you area target the wire?  :unsure:

If it's the former I wonder if it's possible to get AI units to do so on an assault order? 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I found that an AI assault move initiated from tiles adjacent to a linear obstacle appears to trigger units equipped with charges to use them on it, I thought I'd made a test file for CM:BS, but apparently not.....The CM:SF version is here:  [CMSF] BlastTest.btt

The command is slightly less reliable in CM:SF in my experience, but they will succeed eventually (play as red IIRC don't shoot the blue dudes or be seen).....It uses a very simple series of AI scripts as you will see.  ;)

I'm wondering if this can be implemented against wire as it is not a 'map object' in quite the same way as a high wall?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead