Soviet tank off road capability.

Hilts

Got a situation where I have some T34/85s and some JS2 tanks. I just noticed that the T34 off road capability is only 3 yellow bars whereas the JS2 has 4 green bars! Can this be right? I always thought the T34 was legendary for being one of the best off road tanks in existence at the time and would have thought  that the heavy JS 2 was much more likely to bog.

There's no telling what exactly the 'bars' are detailing.
T34 and IS-2 are pretty close on ground pressure with just one pound difference. T34 was 10.5 psi and IS-2 was 11.5 (VVSS Sherman was 13.7psi). IS2 has the more powerful engine at 600 hp, T34 was 500 hp but still bested the IS2 by 6 horsepower-per-ton at 18.9. T34 tracks were 500mm wide, IS-2 tracks were 650 wide.

Perhaps Charles is biased against the bell-crank Christie flat track suspension, prefers torsion bas suspension with return rollers. :mellow:

18 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Perhaps Charles is biased against the bell-crank Christie flat track suspension, prefers torsion bas suspension with return rollers. :mellow:

Maybe that's it because 3 yellow bars is only one bar better than a Soviet truck although according to the manual the T34/76 and the T34 flame tank both have 5 green bars!  I have a feeling though that are going to be some angry folks on here when we start playing in the mud and the snow and all their T34/85s have bogged down.

1 hour ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

T-34/85’s off-road capacity was not so great compare to T-34/76.  The new turret changed the center of gravity, it also made some part the suspension system reach the overweight limit.

Well that'll be it then. Thanks for the info.

Been consulting 'The Bible', so far the most pertinent info I've found is a ground pressure for the T-34/76 of 0.62kg/cm2 with 550mm tracks or 0.7kg/cm2 with 500mm tracks.  This increased to 0.85kg/cm2 with the T-34/85 with 500mm tracks.

To put these figures in perspective the M4 Sherman is quoted at 1.1kg/cm2, the Pz.IV E-F at 0.88-0.91kg/cm2.

An interesting related quote:

For a tank type such as the T-34, the maximised ground pressure values that were reached in 1941 were simply overkill and it was possible to easily sacrifice them partially for the sake of a thicker armour, better armament and other unnecessary design features

Not sure the last bit made it through translation unscathed, but it seems to me that only the earliest production T-34/76s (m.1940 & m.1941) should have all the green bars.....Things should start to go downhill (relatively speaking) with (IIRC) the T-34/76 M.1942, then take another dive with the T-34/85.  ;)  

PS - Still looking into the situation with the suspension, the tank's weight certainly took a jump. 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 2 weeks later...

many factors go into a AFV's off road capability, i.e. ground pressure, suspension design, MMP rating, durability of components, etc. The game does not rely on any one factor.

the Bar rating is only a rough indication of off-road capability.

I had run some bogging tests of the T34-85 (3 bar) vs Tiger I (4 bar) some times back and in game performance of both was very similar:

So I ran some more tests. 4 km long map, mud, cool temp, damp ground, overcast. 10 AFV each run, 5 run.

1st test: T34-85 (1944 late)

-17 made it to the end

-33 immobilized

-total distance travelled: 122,707 meters

-average per tank: 2,454.14 meters

2nd test: Tiger I late

-17 ok

-33 immo

-total distance travelled: 125,394 meters

-avg per tank: 2,507.88 meters

So results are basically the same.