Just now, IICptMillerII said:

In your video, are the mortars on or off map? I'm assuming they are on map based on the fact that the targeted infantry did not break and flee from the barrage.

Nothing seen in the video is part of the discussion, it's only about what was said, which was:

"Mortars are most commonly used, to destroy or suppress fortified enemy positions, and are very effective against dug-in entrenched infantry, and other fortified positions such as wooden bunkers, and light buildings."

^ That was the statement Bulletpoint objected to, which he should have quoted properly from the very beginning.

In my test scenario, there is a 60mm and three 81mm Mortars, and three 75mm Pack Howitzers on the map, but the fire is being called in by a forward observer, they are NOT directly targeting the positions. Regardless, Steve has already stated that fixing things in a patch is the number one priority right now. As far as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue.

If you want to duplicate things, just load a map, plop some trenches and some opposing troops on one side, buy some guns with an F.O. on the other side, and let 'er rip.
A quick battle can get you set up in a few minutes.

9 minutes ago, SLIM said:

In my test scenario, there is a 60mm and three 81mm Mortars, and three 75mm Pack Howitzers on the map, but the fire is being called in by a forward observer, they are NOT directly targeting the positions.

Ahh ok so it was on map artillery. This explains why you didn't see the targeted infantry flee from their trenches. If they were off map then the targeted infantry would have fled. I understand that the FO was calling in an indirect fire mission with the assets. The bug is only triggered if the artillery assets are off map. At least that is what all the testing done thus far indicates. 

11 minutes ago, SLIM said:

Regardless, Steve has already stated that fixing things in a patch is the number one priority right now.

I heard! Very glad to know that its now a known issue and will be addressed with the first patch. Hopefully that patch comes sooner rather than later. 

3 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

If they were off map then the targeted infantry would have fled. I understand that the FO was calling in an indirect fire mission with the assets. The bug is only triggered if the artillery assets are off map. At least that is what all the testing done thus far indicates.

It's a good thing I didn't test with off-map assets then, otherwise my testing would have been invalidated, no? ;)

Let's consider this issue closed.

Edited by SLIM

My feedback on your street fighting video:

The Army learned in WWII to avoid streets at all costs. Instead of moving through/down/along streets, they found that moving through buildings was much safer and more secure. In fact, they did this to the point where they only moved from building to building, and instead of using roads, they simply blew holes through adjacent buildings. This was called 'mouse holing.' A lot of this was learned the hard way through city fighting, specifically around the French town of Brest. It was further reinforced while fighting through Aachen later in the war. 

In the scenario in your videos, I would have moved through the buildings, avoiding the street as much as possible. Especially considering the enemy machine gun is in a position to pour enfilading fire down the street. Even with adequate smoke cover I would still opt to go from building to building.

If you want a source where you can read more about US Army tactics in urban warfare in WWII, then I highly recommend Closing with the Enemy by Michael Doubler.

1 hour ago, IICptMillerII said:

Ahh ok so it was on map artillery. This explains why you didn't see the targeted infantry flee from their trenches. If they were off map then the targeted infantry would have fled. I understand that the FO was calling in an indirect fire mission with the assets. The bug is only triggered if the artillery assets are off map. At least that is what all the testing done thus far indicates. 

I heard! Very glad to know that its now a known issue and will be addressed with the first patch. Hopefully that patch comes sooner rather than later. 

The testing I did indicated on map would do it as well.  I did use an FO to call it so it was not direct fire by the mortar team,  It was indirect fire by an on board asset.

I would caution against what is known and what is the fix.  I helped submit some of the info in tickets.  Whether there is agreement as to what the behavior is or should be I don't honestly know other than to say that current behavior is .. well less then desirable. 

1 minute ago, sburke said:

The testing I did indicated on map would do it as well.  I did use an FO to call it so it was not direct fire by the mortar team,  It was indirect fire by an on board asset.

I would caution against what is known and what is the fix.  I helped submit some of the info in tickets.  Whether there is agreement as to what the behavior is or should be I don't honestly know other than to say that current behavior is .. well less then desirable. 

Ahh ok thanks for the info regarding on vs off map artillery.

18 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

In the scenario in your videos, I would have moved through the buildings, avoiding the street as much as possible. Especially considering the enemy machine gun is in a position to pour enfilading fire down the street. Even with adequate smoke cover I would still opt to go from building to building.

I would too, I just wanted to show it was possible. Remember, these Appendix videos aren't meant to be the lesson videos, but simply to show something that pops into my head at any given moment. I saw the street setup, and thought, "Would it be possible to advance straight down a street like that, and if so, how?" I was also a bit drunk at the time.

That's all I was going for, but given that @Combatintman has already read me the riot act for being so unorganized, I'm going to have to make a proper video showing the fundamentals of MOUT, right after I get through "The Infantry Battalion" and "Mechanized Infantry".

591ce055803fa_TTPStatus.png.7843d2aedcb129b7be14ee69134f9b6f.png

So video Number 06, or Number 09 will be "Fundamentals of MOUT".

Here's the rest of the Appendix for the forum rats:

Part three is the second version, with cuts proposed by @MOS:96B2P. I went on a bit of a rant, and he pointed out it really didn't do anything aside from stretch the runtime unnecessarily.

All 4 parts combined is the full 1 hour 20 minutes (minus edits) ramble about "How to move down a street".

18 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

The Army learned in WWII to avoid streets at all costs. Instead of moving through/down/along streets, they found that moving through buildings was much safer and more secure. In fact, they did this to the point where they only moved from building to building, and instead of using roads, they simply blew holes through adjacent buildings. This was called 'mouse holing.' A lot of this was learned the hard way through city fighting, specifically around the French town of Brest. It was further reinforced while fighting through Aachen later in the war.

What if you don't have any demo charges? ;)

23 minutes ago, SLIM said:

What if you don't have any demo charges? ;)

In reality there are other ways to knock down walls. Sledge hammers, vehicles, sheer brute force, improvised battering rams, etc. In game, you can usually get away with moving from house to house even if you don't have demo charges. You just have to be a bit more careful, and may have to cross one or two more LDA's. Plus, I would argue that when you have them, demo charges are in a much greater supply than the handful of non-replenish-able smoke grenades that come with the standard loadout. 

3 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

Plus, I would argue that when you have them, demo charges are in a much greater supply than the handful of non-replenish-able smoke grenades that come with the standard loadout. 

Absolutely, but while not all infantry have demo charges, almost all infantry have a smoke grenade.

As I say in a later part, your bog-standard infantry platoon has at least 4 smoke grenades available.

Especially the British, who have a Platoon-Level 2pdr Mortar, with two types of smoke rounds available, WP and normal Smoke.

Edited by SLIM

2 hours ago, SLIM said:

Absolutely, but while not all infantry have demo charges, almost all infantry have a smoke grenade.

As I say in a later part, your bog-standard infantry platoon has at least 4 smoke grenades available.

Especially the British, who have a Platoon-Level 2pdr Mortar, with two types of smoke rounds available, WP and normal Smoke.

At the risk of being accused of reading you the riot act, I am compelled to point out that it is a 2" mortar ;)

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:47 AM, jonPhillips said:

Great series of videos – both entertaining and informative. Many thanks for making and sharing them.

Thank you.
Work on the next lecture video is slowly trickling in. Not as fast as I'd like, but it's not at a dead stop either, so I can't complain.

On 15. 11. 2017. at 11:39 PM, SLIM said:

Thank you.
Work on the next lecture video is slowly trickling in. Not as fast as I'd like, but it's not at a dead stop either, so I can't complain.

lookin forward to it. I am lurking around forums and occasionally play a battle (waiting for next CMI expansion), but I really appreciate your videos. Was disappointing when you cut out the part when you got pissed off that "crossing the alley" video. also loved how it got wrong when soldiers went around the corner for no reason :D KUTGW

I watched the Street Appendixes? Appendici? Appendicies? last night, and I gotta say, the voice acting was AMAZING!

I do have one criticism though, and it drove me nuts the whole time I watched. Why didn't you have the guys run around the back of the first building on the right, up to the second building and enter through the back, instead of trying to run them up the street then cross over to that second building? Other than that, cool video, AND awesome voice acting! Did I mention that already?

BTW, who kept knocking on the door?

Mord.

Edited by Mord

3 hours ago, Mord said:

<snipped>

Why didn't you have the guys run around the back of the first building on the right, up to the second building and enter through the back, instead of trying to run them up the street then cross over to that second building?

<snipped>

Mord.

@Mord,

I think @SLIM wants to show how to successfully street fight / urban assaults up and along a street corridor when its the only avenue of approach available.  He mentions that just the street and its adjacent building are "in bounds" for his demonstration purposes.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken. 

Ah, I must've missed that part but I do remember him saying something about boundaries in the third video when the Italians broke and were fleeing into the woods. In my defense I was laying in bed, half asleep, mesmerized and lullaby-ed by the Oscar worthy tour de force that was the voice performance. SLIM should probably turn the in-game sound off in the next video, so the Emmy award winning voice acting doesn't overshadow his tutorial. It's not fair to him or his viewers when a Tony award winning star is bigger than the content actually being presented.

For all the Brits reading this, replace everything with a BAFTA, a mention of knighthood, and the Royal Albert Hall.

Mord.

16 hours ago, Badger73 said:

@Mord,

I think @SLIM wants to show how to successfully street fight / urban assaults up and along a street corridor when its the only avenue of approach available.  He mentions that just the street and its adjacent building are "in bounds" for his demonstration purposes.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken. 

Correct.
The boundaries of the exercise were the street, and any doors facing the street.

21 hours ago, mbarbaric said:

lookin forward to it. I am lurking around forums and occasionally play a battle (waiting for next CMI expansion), but I really appreciate your videos.

I remember you from my subscriber list, or something.
I too, am very much looking forward to the CMFI module, I'm saving it to do my "Ye Olde Grande Tank Lecture" on, given it takes CMFI from 1943 to 1945.

54 minutes ago, SLIM said:

I have two voices: "Monotone Script Reading" and, "I've just had a few drinks, so f*ck it! We'll do it live!"

Hence the reason it wasn't Oscar worthy, Emmy AND Tony winning! The "voice acting" from the "in-game sound". C'mon man, work with me here!

Hint: Whenever your men shout an order, it sounds like I something I would say.

Mord.

Edited by Mord