• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Rob2020 said:

As an avid player of the original trio of CM games, I have a very simple question regarding SF2: Is it cheat-proof like the old games?

If you mean the PBEM mode, well one player can cheat because he can use a 1 minute "look into the future".

Edited by Bufo

34 minutes ago, RepsolCBR said:

How would he do that ?

It's been i while since i played H2H...but iirc thats not possible...

So simple. One player watches the replay then gives orders. He cannot cheat. The other player gives orders first then watches the result immediately. If this guy is not satisfied he can just reload the save as many times as he would like. This only works in hot seat mode though, not in PBEM.

Edited by Bufo

Have you actually done this ? 

I'm 90 % sure that this is completally impossible...

As i recall...one player gives his orders...sends the file...the other player is not able to watch anything until he does HIS orders and clicks go...he watches the replay and send the filé back to the first player to allow him to wiew the replay...

Any reloading is NOT ! possible...

Edited by RepsolCBR

18 minutes ago, RepsolCBR said:

Have you actually done this ? 

I'm 90 % sure that this is completally impossible...

As i recall...one player gives his orders...sends the file...the other player is not able to watch anything until he does HIS orders and clicks go...he watches the replay and send the filé back to the first player to allow him to wiew the replay...

Any reloading is NOT ! possible...

Now I remember, this only works in hot seat mode and not in PBEM.

Edited by Bufo

I don't remember the exact flow of things right now...but cheating in the way you describe is not possible...the same rules apply to both players...ones you click go...your turn is DONE !

There is no way to reload and try again for any of the players...

If you think about it...it is probably the most obvious cheat possible...and one that BFC had to prevent...othervise no one would be playing H2H games...

Jesus F. Christ, such a simple question and yet so many conflicting answers. Do any of you actually play these games?

I'm going to ass-u-me it's not possible to replay turns before sending them to the opponent (which is why it's called "We-Go"), since I don' think the developers would be that dumb to change the one feature that has kept people playing these games for two decades.

Edited by Rob2020

23 minutes ago, Rob2020 said:

Jesus F. Christ, such a simple question and yet so many conflicting answers. Do any of you actually play these games?

LOL  Pretty much SOP for many on these forums...  After a couple of decades you get used to the phenomenon...

On 7/10/2020 at 3:14 PM, Rob2020 said:

I'm going to ass-u-me it's not possible to replay turns before sending them to the opponent (which is why it's called "We-Go"), since I don' think the developers would be that dumb to change the one feature that has kept people playing these games for two decades.

People were just trying to help ...

Assumptions are always dangerous which is possibly why you are confused but surprisingly you now want to make two without censure.

On 7/9/2020 at 2:23 PM, Rob2020 said:

As an avid player of the original trio of CM games, I have a very simple question regarding SF2: Is it cheat-proof like the old games?

They are cheat proof, yes.

For PBEM it is totally stand alone cheat proof.

For HotSeat what @Bufo said it technically possible but remember in hot seat play you are their punch your cheating opponent in real life - so to speak. To get what @Bufo suggests to work they would have to save and reload. That leaves saves lying around. And I suppose you could flip out and delete saves. How hard would it really be to become suspicious of that type of behaviour. Personally I would never have someone over to play that I didn't trust way more than just with a game.

Out of curiosity how many people play hot seat games on a regular basis. I do for testing but that is all.

41 minutes ago, IanL said:

They are cheat proof, yes.

For PBEM it is totally stand alone cheat proof.

For HotSeat what @Bufo said it technically possible but remember in hot seat play you are their punch your cheating opponent in real life - so to speak. To get what @Bufo suggests to work they would have to save and reload. That leaves saves lying around. And I suppose you could flip out and delete saves. How hard would it really be to become suspicious of that type of behaviour. Personally I would never have someone over to play that I didn't trust way more than just with a game.

Out of curiosity how many people play hot seat games on a regular basis. I do for testing but that is all.

Thanks, IanL.

I only ever played one of the old trio of games via the TCP/IP method once, many years ago, and as I vaguely remember there were no cheat issues. Otherwise I only PBEM.

34 minutes ago, Rob2020 said:

Thanks, IanL.

I only ever played one of the old trio of games via the TCP/IP method once, many years ago, and as I vaguely remember there were no cheat issues. Otherwise I only PBEM.

PBEM is pretty common. When you are ready to go vs a human opponent the FAQ has a link to a post that has several suggestions for finding opponents. My three sources are people that I have met online and IRL and play with regularly, theBlitz.org's scenario of the month (which I help run) and tournaments or campaigns at thefewGoodMen.com

• 10 months later...

Thanks Ian!

This looks like some great reading.

I once had such a list for the CMx1 games which was very comprehensive which I shared.  I want to say, I had personally contributed no knowledge, but I did identify the links and collect and organize.

But then one day, the forums were ported or reorganized and the thread addresses changed.  And it was all lost to humanity.  I am sure someday, 3,000 years from now the technology will exist to recreate my CMx1 FAQ.

Until then!

Well...  According to what I have read here, (and I did find it hard to believe) there may be mods that actually alter the odds of your guys being hit.  Assuming only one side of a PBEM is using that mod or mod(s) there would be an advantage.  IIRC, one such mod is changes the stance of troops giving buddy aid, or how they lie down or somesuch.  I had always thought that was mere eye candy.  However...   I regret I forget the details of the forum string.  Hopefully, someone else may jump in with a link.