CMSF2

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Cristi said:

I have a question CMSF will get a patch or a new CMSF 2 will be released? I am confused can we also get QBEM PLZZ like the other CM series.

The plan Steve has talked about called it a new release. Given so much has changed even a new DRM I highly doubt that a patch would be practical.

By QBEM do you mean quick battles by email? It has also been announced that the new CMSF2 will have all the features of the CM 4.0 engine so I interpret that as being yes quick battles are supported along with play by email.

Edited by IanL
Finish post - GD hot keys

I had some of this in another thread but here are some other features that will be new to CMSF with the updated engine:

Water,

Bridges,

Weather,

Troops Surrendering

Kill stats

AA fire

Barbed Wire

Ammo caches

Now flame throwers are no longer used, but does CMRT or CMBS have Molotov cocktails? If so we might see small fires. Just have Molotov cocktails would be a new feature.

There's also many UI changes we'll see.

Am I forgetting some other major feature?

6 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Being able to move waypoints after placing them.

General performance improvements, to include better load times between turns in WeGo.

Ability to create larger maps in the editor.

Ammo counter in the UI instead of the silly bar graphs.

New animations.

Updated textures.

Hit decals on damaged/destroyed vehicles.

Penetration indicators on vehicles under fire. 

Updated suppression mechanics (One of the big updates to Normandy increased the suppression caused by squad based machine guns, such as the MG42. This will make the M249 SAW and M240B machine guns much more effective at suppression in CMSF2, among many other machine guns)

Better vehicle pathing.

There are likely more improvements, especially under the hood that I am forgetting, but in general there have been a ton of cumulative improvements to the CM engine since Shock Force was last updated. All of these improvements will be applied to CMSF2 when it comes out. It really is quite the overhaul. 

2 hours ago, Sequoia said:

I know there is the possibility of new animations but I don't know how animations work. Does just updating the engine bring them in? I'm ignorant of where graphics stop and the engine begins.

Animations are handled kind of like textures. For example, you can port the new animations from Black Sea into CMSF and CMA. There are a few minor model inconsistencies, but for the most part it works great and improves the look of the older games. So, in order to update CMSF with the newer animations, all that is really required is some skeleton model tweaking for the few models suffer from slightly out of proportion animations.

18 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

I don't have CMBS but I would have thought the Shilkas in that game did that already.

There aren't shilka's in CMBS, but AA/AAA units do engage air targets just like in the WWII titles. 

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

will follow naturally (an updated Shilka with functional AA capabilities could be ported back to CM:BS too)

CMSF2 should have the new AA/AAA features (being able to shoot at enemy aircraft). Another feature to add to the upgrade list!

19 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Had AA fire already. Does any CM game have Molotovs?

No CM2 games have molotov cocktails.

On one hand, fire mechanics are not really simulated, and they weren't really used in the games' settings (as far as I'm aware) though that may change with the next Red Thunder module which is set to bring "rag tag" German infantry formations.

This might not be what you're looking for but here is an example of a changed animation:

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=713

There's also a mod that changes the cower position. I'm not aware of any others.

Also, anyone know,  is the in behind the scene position of the medic actually changed as far as targeting goes or does it only look that way?

Ah...  I never tried moving .ani's  from game to game.  In fact I don't even know where they are located.  Where does one find em and where to put em?

"Also, anyone know,  is the in behind the scene position of the medic actually changed as far as targeting goes or does it only look that way?"

IIRC It's all eye candy, the calculations are the same.  (Otherwise, different players could have advantages.)

Edited by Erwin

The animations for Black Sea can be found in the v100a data file. All I did was explode the file, copy the "animations" folder into the "Z" folder in CMSF and loaded up CMSF. Same for CMA. I suppose if you wanted you could port the WWII animations into CMBS/CMSF/CMA, or if you wanted to get more technical you could mix and match.

On 10/26/2017 at 4:08 PM, Sequoia said:

Onboard mortars, I hope! The Limies have always had that little portable spitball chucker, but I am hoping to see mortars added to everyone, especially Uncons. BFC doesn't

usually halfass things, so fingers and butt cheeks crossed.

Mord.

15 hours ago, Sequoia said:

This might not be what you're looking for but here is an example of a changed animation:

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=713

There's also a mod that changes the cower position. I'm not aware of any others.

Also, anyone know,  is the in behind the scene position of the medic actually changed as far as targeting goes or does it only look that way?

It seems it works properly, as RockinHarry says in the comment section:

The changed stance/animation for the medic gives him the benefit of any other soldier in same stance (lying prone), beeing a smaller target for enemy spotting (attempts) and fire. No more medics that reveal the position (drawing enemy fire) of their team mates, particularly when in hide mode!

5 hours ago, Mord said:

Onboard mortars, I hope! The Limies have always had that little portable spitball chucker, but I am hoping to see mortars added to everyone, especially Uncons. BFC doesn't

usually halfass things, so fingers and butt cheeks crossed.

Mord.

Or as others say, all British infantry platoons in the CMSF setting/timeframe have a 51mm mortar. ;)

1 hour ago, Combatintman said:

Or as others say, all British infantry platoons in the CMSF setting/timeframe have a 51mm mortar. ;)

Yeah, that's what I said! Something must've got lost when I translated it from the King's English to American...

Mord.

Edited by Mord