Ken Burns Vietnam

StieliAlpha

4 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Argh, too late. Only this afternoon, I received the despatch confirmation. But I guess the 30 Euro won’t kill me.

Yeah, sorry, that wasn't schadenfreude, I was hoping you might be able to cancel in time. :(

On the other hand, if I can suggest: have a look at Vietnam: A Television History (PBS). Worth the $ and time. I have it and Ken Burn's Vietnam, and will be watching the show you ordered, later on. It's interesting to see how each approaches the same subject matter. I saw 10000 Day War when it came out so I'm also curious what I will think of it now. 

Edited by Bud Backer

I've watched the first 8 episodes with my kids, and they're riveted (both the 13-y.o. who loves history and the 10-y.o. who doesn't).

One terrific structural element is jumping forward to late 60's details that reflect themes developing earlier.  For example, discussion of French colonial dismissal of Indochina's culture will shift to an American veteran of 1967 talking about how little he understood and how much he hated the rural Vietnamese with whom he had no way to communicate. It breaks historical continuity, but it's thematically very powerful.

The interviews are very strong. I'm sure this is the first time I've seen ARVN, VC, and NVA veterans talking about their experience in ways that feel personal rather than just "military-historical." And of course the American interviews are very powerfully affecting.

18 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

Yeah, sorry, that wasn't schadenfreude, I was hoping you might be able to cancel in time. :(

On the other hand, if I can suggest: have a look at Vietnam: A Television History (PBS). Worth the $ and time. I have it and Ken Burn's Vietnam, and will be watching the show you ordered, later on. It's interesting to see how each approaches the same subject matter. I saw 10000 Day War when it came out so I'm also curious what I will think of it now. 

Not a problem, I don‘t think this investment will make me a poor man. Plus, I am somewhat „old school“ and like to own things.

Like the good old Victory Games „Vietnam“ Board Game. Not that I ever played it.

Or the new Matrix Vietnam Computer game.

Strange, that it interests me so much. Probably, because I grew up with this war constantly on TV.

1 hour ago, StieliAlpha said:

Not a problem, I don‘t think this investment will make me a poor man. Plus, I am somewhat „old school“ and like to own things.

Like the good old Victory Games „Vietnam“ Board Game. Not that I ever played it.

Or the new Matrix Vietnam Computer game.

Strange, that it interests me so much. Probably, because I grew up with this war constantly on TV.

OMFG! I have the old VG “Vietnam” board game too, and like you I admired it but never got to play it. :rolleyes:

And I have Matrix Vietnam Game too! Haha too funny.

In which case it sounds like our interests align, making me redouble my suggestion to have a look at Vietnam: A Television History.

https://shop.pbs.org/american-experience-vietnam-a-television-history-dvd-4pk/product/WG26109

Edited by Bud Backer

1 hour ago, Bud Backer said:

OMFG! I have the old VG “Vietnam” board game too, and like you I admired it but never got to play it. :rolleyes:

And I have Matrix Vietnam Game too! Haha too funny.

In which case it sounds like our interests align, making me redouble my suggestion to have a look at Vietnam: A Television History.

https://shop.pbs.org/american-experience-vietnam-a-television-history-dvd-4pk/product/WG26109

Now, that‘s a strange coincidence, indeed. I guess, there are not too many people with that mix. Let me give it another try: I still have the old Micrprose „Vietnam“ for the C64. That one was excellent in it’s time. One the few games, which I played completely through, including all “what if” scenarios.

Do you know GMT’s “Fire in the hole” from the excellent COIN series? Since I tried “Falling Sky” on the board a few times and “Twilight Struggle” on the iPad, I am very tempted....

47 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Now, that‘s a strange coincidence, indeed. I guess, there are not too many people with that mix. Let me give it another try: I still have the old Micrprose „Vietnam“ for the C64. That one was excellent in it’s time. One the few games, which I played completely through, including all “what if” scenarios.

Do you know GMT’s “Fire in the hole” from the excellent COIN series? Since I tried “Falling Sky” on the board a few times and “Twilight Struggle” on the iPad, I am very tempted....

I started with an Apple II so no Commodore stuff. I did eventually get a PC and tried "Seal Team" 

I'm gonna send you a PM. ;)

Edited by Bud Backer

• 1 month later...

I finally started to watch the „The ten days of War“ DVD‘s. Great documentary, indeed. I found it irritating, that they started with an overview of the US involvement in part 1 and then go back to the beginning of the French Indochine War, but ok...

Otherwise, of course, the quality of the pictures gives „eye cancer“. After a first try on the big TV, I switched to a small 22“ screen. That‘s more bearable.