What is going on?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20.9.2017 at 9:33 PM, MikeyD said:

I recall Steve once mentioning that that vast majority of purchasers are single player vs the AI, by a very wide margin. And the vast majority of purchasers have never posted to the chat board.

Seldom guest here, lurking if there is something meaningful to spend my money on. Still nothing. CM seems to be quite dead.

I don't believe there are many customers left. I just checked and the two other BFC forums, Blitz and FGM are very quiet too. Not many games reported to the ladders too.

I am wondering, how many players are left, from the loud realtime crowd? It seems only WEGO players are left and keep the ship from sinking.

Where are the players that raved about vehicle packs and modules, that filled up the ladders and the community?

It is better to be king in the village, than 100th in the (realtime) city. I am wondering where would CM stand today if Battlefront stood by it's tradition to perfect WEGO.

How big would the community be today, if there was PBEM with multi-multiplayer, full battle replay, higher grid resolution, a spotting system that could use every second as spotting interval because calculation time is no limiting factor for PBEM, if the map grid would be finer, if objects could be oriented in 16 directions? How would the game look with 16 directions and motion capturing?

Instead of a focused development process, where they were the leader in the market, they decided to do something IMO the game - because of it's realism - is not suited for - at the cost that development for the core functions was no longer possible.

And now I learn, that the second programmer has really left?

One programmer to develop four base games for PC AND Mac?! IMO that's insane. No wonder that the development is zero and the community seems to shrink from visit to visit.

Edited by CarlWAW

15 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Hello to all my forum buddies:

Still on my 2017 break from CM but now headed to work for FEMA and will be deployed to hurricane damaged areas.

I wish I had popped on here and would have been shocked to see some new modules I had fantasized about! :(

Oh well, I hope the CM salary guys are all well and can balance their real life to soon shekel out some CM material to us in the audience.

I think some of the mods I was involved in are still out there to be enjoyed?

Best wishes to everybody.

~Phil

You have been missed, Phil.   Hope things settle down and you can get back here soon.

9 hours ago, CarlWAW said:

I don't believe there are many customers left. I just checked and the two other BFC forums, Blitz and FGM are very quiet too. Not many games reported to the ladders too.

12 games reported in the last 7 days at The Blitz. Let me guess: you didn't look before writing that.

On 9/29/2017 at 6:18 PM, CarlWAW said:

I am wondering, how many players are left, from the loud realtime crowd? It seems only WEGO players are left and keep the ship from sinking.

I'm still here. There were a few others, but yeah, they mostly shift to other games about six or nine months after a release, as they play through all the content.

On 9/29/2017 at 6:18 PM, CarlWAW said:

How big would the community be today, if there was PBEM with multi-multiplayer, full battle replay, higher grid resolution, a spotting system that could use every second as spotting interval because calculation time is no limiting factor for PBEM, if the map grid would be finer, if objects could be oriented in 16 directions? How would the game look with 16 directions and motion capturing?

Probably not much bigger, because the complicated (and occasionally frustrating) issues with a more complex spotting routine lead to a lot of player frustrations, but especially in WeGo when I can't simply back down a vehicle that hasn't spotted something it should see quite clearly (e.g. a Tiger emerging perpendicular to the tank from a woodline, less than 100m away with TC unbuttoned). The fine map-grid wouldn't be an advantage either, since the TacAI is pretty bad of taking advantage of 8x8 right now, so most players (myself included) break down squads into teams to prevent the game from doing silly things with the troops and limit the damage from units "wiggling" out of cover/concealment for no apparent reason.

I come and lurk once and a while, always fingers crossed something has changed. I was/am a big supporter but the series does appear to be near the end. I get it, no reason to explain why it's not, but really it is. Bummer and really wish they had an investment and resources to re-launch this thing, crowd sourced or otherwise to prove me wrong. Loved the series going back to CMBO but I don't see how the future works in the current state. I know people will come on and say I don't understand game development, etc.. that's ok, let's see how things play out. I hope something changes and I can go back to telling everyone how awesome this game series is.

Edited by AstroCat

5 hours ago, AstroCat said:

I come and lurk once and a while, always fingers crossed something has changed. I was/am a big supporter but the series does appear to be near the end. I get it, no reason to explain why it's not, but really it is. Bummer and really wish they had an investment and resources to re-launch this thing, crowd sourced or otherwise to prove me wrong. Loved the series going back to CMBO but I don't see how the future works in the current state. I know people will come on and say I don't understand game development, etc.. that's ok, let's see how things play out. I hope something changes and I can go back to telling everyone how awesome this game series is.

LOL you doomsayers are really a hoot.  You have no actual data to back up your doom and gloom pronouncements and yet announce them as fact. Be nice to have a graph over time showing how these perspectives spike over time whenever there is a lag of seeing something spanking brand new from BF.  Good lord it is really just two guys folks, your expectations have always been extremely unrealistic and instead of appreciating what these two guys deliver year after year you keep trying to pretend they are some big game firm that has all the dedicated programming and art depts. to indulge your fantasies of the ultimate game.  It isn't gonna happen (and likely if it did you'd STILL be dissatisfied)  BF is not under any threat of going under, the product is still strong and you guys frankly (and no offense intended) have no idea what the hell it is you keep harping about.  Cheer up!  Have a little faith.  It is still Steve and Charles.  They haven't sold off the company to some outfit that doesn't share the vision, they haven't made any comments about a dire situation affecting the health of the company.  Yeah there have been some changes, but that isn't new.  BF has been around almost 20 years.  Change is a fact of life, to expect BF to keep chugging along with no changes over time is just not realistic.

What the hell does relaunch even mean?   Crowdsource?  You do realize BF is still here and financially stable right? 

On the other hand if they had followed the advice of CarlWAW above we wouldn't have to worry about it.  BF would have gone bankrupt.  Damn good thing Steve and Charles are in charge eh?

31 minutes ago, Jumpete said:

Or RT module ;)

Good point!!! So in the last three posts we were all reminded BFC is working on a CMFI module, a CMRT module and completely re-doing CMSF to bring it up to present engine 4 standards (CMSF2).  What a busy place!!!!!!!!     

PS - Over at the FGM I don't think a day goes by where I don't see someone submitting a ladder result.  And when the FGM announce openings for Combat Mission tournament etc. they fill up fast.    

Edited by MOS:96B2P

12 hours ago, sburke said:

LOL you doomsayers are really a hoot.  You have no actual data to back up your doom and gloom pronouncements and yet announce them as fact. Be nice to have a graph over time showing how these perspectives spike over time whenever there is a lag of seeing something spanking brand new from BF.  Good lord it is really just two guys folks, your expectations have always been extremely unrealistic and instead of appreciating what these two guys deliver year after year you keep trying to pretend they are some big game firm that has all the dedicated programming and art depts. to indulge your fantasies of the ultimate game.  It isn't gonna happen (and likely if it did you'd STILL be dissatisfied)  BF is not under any threat of going under, the product is still strong and you guys frankly (and no offense intended) have no idea what the hell it is you keep harping about.  Cheer up!  Have a little faith.  It is still Steve and Charles.  They haven't sold off the company to some outfit that doesn't share the vision, they haven't made any comments about a dire situation affecting the health of the company.  Yeah there have been some changes, but that isn't new.  BF has been around almost 20 years.  Change is a fact of life, to expect BF to keep chugging along with no changes over time is just not realistic.

What the hell does relaunch even mean?   Crowdsource?  You do realize BF is still here and financially stable right? 

On the other hand if they had followed the advice of CarlWAW above we wouldn't have to worry about it.  BF would have gone bankrupt.  Damn good thing Steve and Charles are in charge eh?

+1

Edited by Aragorn2002

On 9/2/2017 at 7:28 PM, Holman said:

Every release contains a HUGE number of vehicles and units, and every additional module does the same.  In the CMBN line, for instance, I can't think of a single significant vehicle we don't now have for the time period covered.

I've been checking the website once a week every week since June hoping something new comes out so I can buy it. Would prefer and expansion on RT with some SU-100s or extend the campaign into 43 and 45 but would honestly take anything at this point including africa or early war stuff. Anything at all for me to spend my money on. Bueller?

@Mannschaft

There are a few projects planned as far as we know.

Fortress Italy - Rome to Victory module : set to extend the game's timeline to the end of the war, new content is unknown aside from various additional nationalities (colonial troops) for the Commonwealth. Should be released sooner rather than later.

Red Thunder - late war module : the only thing we've been told is "IS-2's in the snow". The original plan was for a late 2017/early 2018 release.

Shock Force 2 : a re-master of Shock Force which is supposed to bring the content from the game and its modules to the CMx2 4.0 (or newer) standard. No dates given.

I'm a purely real-time player (but play Wego from time to time) and if this mode wasn't there I wouldn't be enjoying the game so much (it makes it more "believable").

But I have the same concerns. Battlefront decided to split their focus into so many separate "games" (half of which could've easily be modules *cough*cmfb*cough) that if you own only few of them you have to wait for years for the new content. Like I have CMBS and it took more than two years for a battle pack to arrive and looking at Battlefront plans will take another three for a marine/vdv module to happen (as hinted in "lore") which is beyond ridiculous. Yeah I know - small team, not enough resources - but it should've been considered when making decisions. What I mean is that I, as a huge fan of how Battlefront represents modern combat, personally feel like a game got abandoned. And I like Battlepack1 a lot but, man, two years and no new factions/content?

5 hours ago, kraze said:

But I have the same concerns. Battlefront decided to split their focus into so many separate "games" (half of which could've easily be modules *cough*cmfb*cough) that if you own only few of them you have to wait for years for the new content. 

Like I have CMBS and it took more than two years for a battle pack to arrive and looking at Battlefront plans will take another three for a marine/vdv module to happen (as hinted in "lore") which is beyond ridiculous. Yeah I know - small team, not enough resources - but it should've been considered when making decisions. What I mean is that I, as a huge fan of how Battlefront represents modern combat, personally feel like a game got abandoned. And I like Battlepack1 a lot but, man, two years and no new factions/content?

not sure how you can conclude it would be easy when BF explicitly states that it would not.

I appreciate your impatience, but that does not reflect BF "abandoning" CMBS.  Hell look at how long it took between the first release of CMSF and CMBN coming out.  Everyone is in your position regardless of which game family they prefer.  Eastern Front folks waited a long time for Red Thunder.  Those of us who really like Shock force have waited 6 years from the release of CMBN before we even heard BF would actually consider updating it to the current engine so if you want to start on the "abandoned" bandwagon, get in line.  We CMSF fans were here first.  :D 

Edited by sburke