How to properly use artillery, CAS, and snipers

ilhan89bln

3 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

In WW1 thermobaric artillery rounds where not in use.

I know, that was the point of bringing it up as an example.

5 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

In WW1 thermobaric artillery rounds where not in use. Don't dumb your self down, just because you don't see the benefits of thermobaric rounds. The shorter killrange have i allready wrote about. If there where only negative effects in using thermobaric ammunition. Why would the king of artillery, the Russians, be in sush love with It? 

I do see the advantages of it, I just don't think it is as effective as you state it is.

14 hours ago, Erwin said:

Snipers should be placed carefully in good covered locations with good LOS...

This can be the tricky, frustrating part. A lot of times, I find it near impossible to get them to a spot where they can observe without being seen/shot at in return. Sometimes a scenario gives me a sniper and he turns out to be nearly useless. This is more likely to happen in a scenario where I am attacking/advancing. On defense snipers are easier to place as stay behind nuisances to the enemy.

Michael

14 hours ago, ilhan89bln said:

Unfortunately the number of TRPs is limited by the engine.

That sounded strange to me too. TRPs are ungodly cheap for what they do. I have to discipline myself to keep from taking too many and putting them on every likely spot the enemy might choose to occupy. On defense that can be fairly realistic, as if you have occupied a position for a while, you will have had time to register lots of locations. On attack it is a different matter. With a set piece attack (Assault in CM terms), you would also have time to register lots of locations. But with a hasty attack or a meeting engagement, there may be no time at all.

Michael

On 9/2/2017 at 3:25 PM, IanL said:

Wow that that is quite a claim. I admit to not knowing much about therobaric munitions but that sounds to good to be true. I thought it was more effective in confined spaces and less effective in the open. 

For my education could you point me to a good source to explain how it works. 

There was a thread about how badly RPOs are nerfed in the game

On 2017-09-02 at 6:34 PM, Apocal said:

I know, that was the point of bringing it up as an example.

I do see the advantages of it, I just don't think it is as effective as you state it is.

Now I have to say though. Its not me really, stating it as that effective ( Yes,  here it is ). But when reading books by Russians ( and Sovjets) who was in Afghanistan, and Cheshnya. And they described the big problems they encounterd, when soldiers died. Because their own artillery had to low effect in certain terrain. And when they started to use thermobaric amunition, in rocky terain in Afghanistan. And in Cheshnya in urban terrain. Things changed to the better for them. 

Soviet, and later Russia. Has always been the invasion force of Sweden, since after ww2. So by reading, not only Western books. You can learn a lot, by reading books from soldiers of the presumed enemy to.