AI needs to be improved

Pericles

Purchased the CMBS Battlepack. Haven't played for a while and this first mission in the US campaign is reminding me of how this game frustrates. 

If a gunner in a Stryker is shooting at a target, but then is fired upon by the enemy, he should duck back into the vehicle to stay out of harm's way. But the AI does not do this. The gunner will stay out in the open until he is killed/wounded. Anyone agree that this should be changed? 

Another thing is the attacking behavior of the enemy units. In the middle of the mission, two enemy jeeps came rushing towards my units. They ended up driving around in a small village, weaving around buildings at high speed until they were taken out. Not realistic/immersive. 

The game is being held back by these AI problems, among others. I would opt for AI improvements over new content. 

AI improvement is costly so beware of what you wish for.  Yeah I think somebody would be utterly bonkers to not want it, but AI is one of those things that just is not much in the cards and it seems every time we get a change in AI behavior for one issue it has worse unintended consequences. Just check the discussion about troops bugging out of foxholes. 

An exposed Stryker gunner indicates you're using either an M1130 command vehicle or an unbuttoned MGS using its pintle mount .50 cal.  Soldiers with high motivation (Fanatic, Extreme, etc) are more likely to stare death in the face than green troops with low morale. American officers tend to be given higher motivation and higher experience which makes them less likely to duck down when there's incoming fire. I recall a QB player once commenting that he always picks 'fanatical' troops for his battles. This may sound good but the units' survival instincts suffer as a result.

MikeyD, mostly right but you are either using some nomenclature I'm not aware of or you are missing the one that's actually being talked about, the recon m113, whatever its called.  You start the first mission of the battle pack with a recon platoon that has the big a$$ camera next to the weapon. 

sburke, I agree with what you're saying.

MikeyD, thanks for the info. Making propensity to duck back inside vehicle upon taking fire a function of motivation seems like a necessary compromise. Something I can learn to live with. 

Playing Mission 2 of US campaign now. Another thing that urks me is that the enemy's AFVs and tanks are pointing in the wrong direction (away from the attacking threat, which is me). Doesn't make sense.