Do extreme temperatures actually do anything? Weather in CMx2 in general.

Cold weather causes muddy ground conditions to be less problematic when it comes to bogging down/getting immobilized.

Speaking of weather - playing a scenario in blizzard conditions and must say that visibility and spotting is much better than anticipated. Almost too good speaking from experience of being in a blizzard.

10 minutes ago, rocketman said:

Speaking of weather - playing a scenario in blizzard conditions and must say that visibility and spotting is much better than anticipated. Almost too good speaking from experience of being in a blizzard.

I haven't tried this in the game, but I agree with you that in a full-blown blizzard visibility can shut down to as little as ten meters or less. You have to be extremely tough (or Finnish) to want to fight in those conditions.

Michael

1 minute ago, Michael Emrys said:

I haven't tried this in the game, but I agree with you that in a full-blown blizzard visibility can shut down to as little as ten meters or less. You have to be extremely tough (or Finnish) to want to fight in those conditions.

Michael

Hey! We Swedes are pretty fierce too :o

In CMSF, if the temperature is set to the hottest setting, it causes your men to fatigue much faster. Not entirely sure what all the various temperature settings effect, but temperature is simulated as a factor. 

57 minutes ago, rocketman said:

The blizzard setting is mostly just  a setting for the rate of snowfall, not necessarily a full blown blizzard. If you set the snow conditions to max (ground completely snowy, very cold weather, blizzard rate of snow and fast winds) you'll see line of sight impacted a lot more than if you just set the snowfall to blizzard. 

6 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

The blizzard setting is mostly just  a setting for the rate of snowfall, not necessarily a full blown blizzard. If you set the snow conditions to max (ground completely snowy, very cold weather, blizzard rate of snow and fast winds) you'll see line of sight impacted a lot more than if you just set the snowfall to blizzard. 

That seems very odd, as it is the snow in the air that blocks LOS, not what is on the ground. I blizzard can start while there still is little snow on the ground. In that case, the "blizzard" name is confusing. In the game I'm playing it si light snow on the ground, blizzard snow and high winds. No problem spotting infantry some 200 m away that hasn't opened fire. That is not a blizzard in my book.

5 hours ago, rocketman said:

That seems very odd, as it is the snow in the air that blocks LOS, not what is on the ground.

Depends on what exactly is meant by "blizzard". In the parts of the US where blizzard conditions are frequently, I gather that part of what is meant is that snow on the ground is being picked up by the wind. Apparently in Wyoming where this happens a lot, the saying is they don't have a spring thaw, the snow just wears out from all the being blown around.

Michael

Don't forget heavy winds as an extreme condition too. Smoke is useless, bazookas, shreks, fausts, on up to ATGMs in the modern war games become problematic to use. Its been a very long time since I've played in heavy winds, I want to say even conventional munitions get less accurate in heavy winds. But don't quote me on that.

"...in blizzard conditions and must say that visibility and spotting is much better than anticipated"

Visibility is better than anticipated in heavy fog too. I can't recall testing it out but I think blizzard and hvy fog might be equivalent LOS-wise... maybe. I  recall in the ooooold CMx1 game engine blizzard and heavy fog were pretty much impenetrable.

On 8/24/2017 at 11:21 PM, MikeyD said:

Don't forget heavy winds as an extreme condition too. Smoke is useless, bazookas, shreks, fausts, on up to ATGMs in the modern war games become problematic to use. Its been a very long time since I've played in heavy winds, I want to say even conventional munitions get less accurate in heavy winds. But don't quote me on that.

Conventional munitions get less accurate in heavy winds, judging from some quick-and-dirty testing.

On 8/25/2017 at 5:23 AM, Warts 'n' all said:

To my old Limey eyes it seems that snow on the roads not only slows vehicles down on straights, it also, increases the time it takes for them to get around bends.

Because they accelerate more slowly and decelerate more readily, as far as I can tell.

Now that I look closer, I'm starting to see more of the effects. But I guess my issue is that I have to really look for them to notice, instead of weather being shoved in my face like in real life.

Edited by Apocal

Has anyone mentioned that the heavier the snow ground condition gets the more roads get buried? In Hvy Snow ground condition the only working road type is highway plus 'snowpath' which are entirely separate from roads. That's why so many scenarios are patchy and light snow. Because any deeper and things get difficult.

Also, when its raining I've got into the habit of hop-scotching my armor from rocky ground to rocky ground. Because, I believe, as the game progresses the softer ground gets increasingly muddier and more prone to bogging (or worse).

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Also, when its raining I've got into the habit of hop-scotching my armor from rocky ground to rocky ground. Because, I believe, as the game progresses the softer ground gets increasingly muddier and more prone to bogging (or worse).

I have no idea whether that is actually built into the game, but it would certainly make sense. It would also be nice if a patch of ground got boggier the more vehicles pass over it, but that would be more cumbersome to program, I suspect.

Michael

On 8/28/2017 at 1:12 AM, Michael Emrys said:

It would also be nice if a patch of ground got boggier the more vehicles pass over it, but that would be more cumbersome to program, I suspect.

Michael

I have had a tank bog in ground that 2 or 3 had already passed over. Whether the ground was actually getting boggier as each tank went over it I'm not sure. But it would make sense if it were the case.