Cease Fire and Surrender

Looked through the manual and searched the forums to no avail. Seems to me like an under-discussed matter; but some important questions have arisen for me in this area of the game:-

1) Surely cease fire is a feature for two player games? If a player selects cease fire in a single player game, does the AI "ignore" the request - i.e. there is no effect?

2) In cases when a cease fire is agreed, I assume the result is an automatic draw - regardless of the division of VP to each side at that point? Or can a player still win or lose as a consequence of agreeing to a cease fire? 

3) If a cease fire offer is not accepted, how long before the offer expires, if at all? 

4) If a player chooses to surrender, does the game result in total defeat automatically? Or does the game calculate the VP situation at the point of surrender and give the result existing at that point in the game (which would seem illogical)? Or (most likely) does the game calculate the VP and then tag on a penalty to that (for surrendering) to represent scale of defeat (so there is a range of defeats possible with a surrender)? 

5) Considering possibilities in 3) above, is it possible for a player to choose to surrender and still gain a draw? 

Im rusty but pretty sure:

9 minutes ago, The Steppenwulf said:

2) a player can still win or lose as a consequence of agreeing to a cease fire

4) If a player chooses to surrender, does the game result in total defeat automatically? yes

5) Considering possibilities in 3) above, is it possible for a player to choose to surrender and still gain a draw? no

29 minutes ago, The Steppenwulf said:

Looked through the manual and searched the forums to no avail. Seems to me like an under-discussed matter; but some important questions have arisen for me in this area of the game:-

1) Surely cease fire is a feature for two player games? If a player selects cease fire in a single player game, does the AI "ignore" the request - i.e. there is no effect?

2) In cases when a cease fire is agreed, I assume the result is an automatic draw - regardless of the division of VP to each side at that point? Or can a player still win or lose as a consequence of agreeing to a cease fire? 

3) If a cease fire offer is not accepted, how long before the offer expires, if at all? 

4) If a player chooses to surrender, does the game result in total defeat automatically? Or does the game calculate the VP situation at the point of surrender and give the result existing at that point in the game (which would seem illogical)? Or (most likely) does the game calculate the VP and then tag on a penalty to that (for surrendering) to represent scale of defeat (so there is a range of defeats possible with a surrender)? 

5) Considering possibilities in 3) above, is it possible for a player to choose to surrender and still gain a draw? 

1) The AI always accepts a cease fire.

2) No, the victory conditions still apply. Whoever better fulfills them, wins.

3) I don't believe it expires. The only way to rescind it is to hit cease fire again, at least in real time multi-player. I've never done it PBEM.

4) If they surrender, they automatically lose, yes.

5) No.

44 minutes ago, The Steppenwulf said:

No cease fire works in any game. The AI will automatically accept. A human opponent will not be notified in game that cease fire has been set by you so an actual discussion is required.

Note, sometimes it takes a few turns in a PBEM game for the cease fire to be recognized. At the very least both sides have to have selected cease fire before a calculating message is displayed but for some unknown reason I have seen the game keep going for a few turns too.

No, after a cease fire the VP are calculated just as if the time had run out. It is just like ending the game early.

It does not expire but you can cancel it.

If you surrender you give your opponent all the objects and unit destroy points. Otherwise scoring is applied as normal. So, lots of victory levels are possible depending on how the scenario points are set up. Winning upon surrendering seems unlikely though.

Yep.

5 hours ago, Apocal said:

31 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

How do you cancel a cease fire?  And can a cease fire be canceled in a PBEM? 

The only way to rescind it is to hit cease fire again, at least in real time multi-player. I've never done it PBEM.

It will almost certainly work in a PBEM.

6 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

It will almost certainly work in a PBEM.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

That's it if you choose Menu | Cease Fire a gain it will ask you if you want to cancel your cease fire. Yes, it works in PBEM - but only if you cancel before it takes effect :)

Thank you both.  Cease fire seems like a more informative / better way to end a PBEM game.  Many times myself or a PBEM opponent have just hit surrender.  But then all the points go to the winner when they might have been divided up somewhat in a cease fire.  I will have to pay more attention to this.       

9 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Thank you both.  Cease fire seems like a more informative / better way to end a PBEM game.  Many times myself or a PBEM opponent have just hit surrender.  But then all the points go to the winner when they might have been divided up somewhat in a cease fire.  I will have to pay more attention to this.       

Indeed, I concur.

I'm glad I asked the question to get some enlightenment about these two functions - it's an easily overlooked feature - I certainly think that there could be an expanded explanation in the manual. Players and games would benefit if they understood their utility better.