V4.0 Hull Down question

Well, it just so happened I had the perfect situation for the use of the command last night, very similar to the fine example given.

I was playing CMBS and had a Bradley I wanted to move up to a hull down position so that I could fire on a house that I figured was a perfect location for defenders watching that ave. of approach.

So I did just what you instructed, even set my movement point past the ridge just to make sure I would not stop it from getting to a spot far enough.

gave the target as the house, which was single story high and lets see what happens.

My unit moves up and stop way short of being able to put fire on that location.

but what I did find was it was hull downed to that position. (at least that is what the unit tells me when I click on it and try to target that house)

so by your example, I would have to select a target point in front of the house by a few hexes.  (but if I do that, I will not know if I am going to get hull down or partial hull down.)

But I gave the command another try and had the same results (two fails)

Where as, I can just select the point I believe is going to give me a good hulldown position that I like, target the area I want to see, it tells me what my hulldown status will be and I can check it to any other location I might have concerns about. I hit the command and know for sure where my unit will go, and know what it is going to see after it gets there.

Sorry, but I am still in the camp that the command is not that good and that there is a better method.

18 hours ago, MikeyD said:

<Snip>  targeting was adjusted up off the ground to vehicle height. <Snip>  The tank is now in proper hulldown position but sacrifices good LOS on the 2-3 feet beneath the imagined target vehicle center. that they're aiming for.  One consequence of hulldown is you loose the extra eyeballs of the hull crew  <Snip> 

Thanks for posting this.  It helps to understand the game mechanics when you're trying to get a desired result.

I wonder if this would cause the vehicle to stop to early if you're trying to get hulldown to something lower than a vehicle, like infantry? 

1 hour ago, slysniper said:

Well, it just so happened I had the perfect situation for the use of the command last night, very similar to the fine example given.

I was playing CMBS and had a Bradley I wanted to move up to a hull down position so that I could fire on a house that I figured was a perfect location for defenders watching that ave. of approach.

<snip>

Sorry, but I am still in the camp that the command is not that good and that there is a better method.

Well that does suck. I have to admit I have not tried the command with a target of a building. I'll have to try that and see what I get.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Well that does suck. I have to admit I have not tried the command with a target of a building. I'll have to try that and see what I get.

Yeah it could be specific to the whole issue of targeting a building if you can't see the ground tile. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2017 at 11:28 AM, IanL said:

In this example I would have set the end way point just on my side of the ridge. Basically at a point just on my side of the ridge with a clear LOS to the target. It is a subtle difference and one that usually will not matter - because the hull down position is found before getting over the ridge. But I do it just in case. Keeping the way point on my side of the ridge if things go wrong the worst that can happen is my tank ends up in a partial hull down position as opposed to being totally over the ridge line.

Appreciate the explanation! And yes, it makes perfect sense to have the waypoint on the reverse slope of the ridge rather than on the forward side.