BMPT-72s soon to be in service with the Russian military

Just saw this and thought you guys might be interested. 

So it seems (according to Southfront) that the Russian military might soon acquire an undisclosed number of BMPT-72s (configuration unknown), due to the T-15 series being delayed (reading between the lines) and a desire to test the concept (tank support vehicle) in practice.

Maybe this justifies the inclusion of the BMPT-72 in the next add-on for CM:BS? It sure would be a cool addition and give new tactical opportunities for us players (the BMPs are tin cans, the BMPT-72 is not).

What do you think?

Edited by AtheistDane

1 hour ago, AtheistDane said:

Maybe this justifies the inclusion of the BMPT-72 in the next add-on for CM:BS? It sure would be a cool addition and give new tactical opportunities for us players (the BMPs are tin cans, the BMPT-72 is not).

Assuming it is not merely propagandistic vaporware that evaporates under the bright light of unfolding events, which is a perennial problem of games set in a recent or current period of time.

Michael

AtheistDane,

That was a great video which presented what I perceived as a straightforward account of the facts, presented information of which I was completely unaware (BMPTs not in Russian service but in that of allies), the reason it existed, why it was dead before and now was on again, not to mention a detailed examination of the formidable armament. Thought the pointing out of the cost delta in shifting from pricey thermals to much less pricey LLTV was spot on. Wonder what one of the full-up ones would run in serial production, especially in comparison to the tanks it's supposed to support? Further, though it may be of necessity forced to substitute for the T-15 HIFV, I don't recall any mention of being able to carry soldiers, so it's really not equivalent at all, if what I believe to be the case is correct.

Michael Emrys,

You raise a valid point.

Regards,

John Kettler

its stated role as a saturation-fire ATGM threat suppressor sounds difficult indeed. We've seen the jihadist vids, most times the target doesn't know its being targeted until after the missile hits. I'm not entirely sure about externally mounted missiles during close-in street fighting but at least the vehicle in Syria looks like it has some minimal armor protection for the missiles.

I recall Stryker MGS was teetering on the edge of being declared 'combat ineffective' and withdrawn a few years ago. Canadian LAV III TUA is being converted to infantry carrying APCs. Sometimes 'clever idea' combat vehicles don't work as anticipated.

On 7/15/2017 at 5:22 AM, Michael Emrys said:

Assuming it is not merely propagandistic vaporware that evaporates under the bright light of unfolding events, which is a perennial problem of games set in a recent or current period of time.

It's neither a vaporware nor a full-scale acceptance. UVZ was able to peddle a test batch to the Army.

On 7/15/2017 at 6:58 AM, John Kettler said:

That was a great video which presented what I perceived as a straightforward account of the facts, presented information of which I was completely unaware (BMPTs not in Russian service but in that of allies), the reason it existed, why it was dead before and now was on again...

The reasons are: a) commercial; B) concept testing for heavy IFV. Theoretical assessment hasn't changed an inch - dubious applicability of this particular piece for its price. Out of two guns only one can shoot at a time - i.e. BMPTD is no more than an up-armored BMP-2. AGS-30 with very limited traverse, range and accuracy yet requiring two full crew members looks like a strange choice (to be corrected in the next version).

Edited by IMHO
Update

3 hours ago, IMHO said:

Out of two guns only one can shoot at a time - i.e. BMPTD is no more than an up-armored BMP-2

Interesting! Any explanation why? Are they set up to handle different types of targets, i.e....left gun is fed only AP rounds to handle vehicle targets...while right gun has only HE type rounds for personnel & soft targets?

3 hours ago, cbennett88 said:

Interesting! Any explanation why? Are they set up to handle different types of targets, i.e....left gun is fed only AP rounds to handle vehicle targets...while right gun has only HE type rounds for personnel & soft targets?

1. Guns are the same. I don't know whether each is dual-fed or not. You should understand that BMPT has been a mere prototype developed with no requirements or tactical role from the Army.

2. It's interesting how a gradual realisation of how much a vaporware T-14/T-15 platform is at the moment gives birth to new projects.

1 hour ago, IMHO said:

1. Guns are the same. I don't know whether each is dual-fed or not. You should understand that BMPT has been a mere prototype developed with no requirements or tactical role from the Army.

2. It's interesting how a gradual realisation of how much a vaporware T-14/T-15 platform is at the moment gives birth to new projects.

1. According to this website (http://www.military-today.com/tanks/bmpt_72.htm) they are dual feed. 

2. T-14/T-15 are not vaporware, the T-14 is already in low-rate production with 100 to be built. As to the T-15, I think I read somewhere that it is having transmission problems, so its low-rate production has been delayed until 2019/2020.

It is sad to watch the anti-Russian attitude that prevails these forums (it seems the lying liberal MSM is doing its job), all new vehicles are going to having problems - technical or economical - just look at the US' track-record in this regard. 

Edited by AtheistDane

It is sad to watch the anti-Russian attitude that prevails these forums (it seems the lying liberal MSM is doing its job), all new vehicles are going to having problems - technical or economical - just look at the US' track-record in this regard. 

Wow, that was a bit over the top there. There is no prevailing anti Russian sentiment on there forums. There is a well earned skepticism of the performance of new kit and the description of its production. You also have a pretty strong contingent of people who are very much aware of teething pains. 

LOL the liberal media? Where the heck did that come from. Not only is that a massive myth it is not even relavant here.

Edited by IanL

Well you know what they say, truth has a reality bias and reality has a liberal bias ))))

Sorry the observed truth doesn't bolster your feelings. The Russians have been consistently optimistic about their arms development, even more so than most. Skepticism is both healthy and justified. Find new forums if you don't like it, lmao.

Edited by Rinaldi

2 hours ago, AtheistDane said:

T-14/T-15 are not vaporware, the T-14 is already in low-rate production with 100 to be built.

I'm sure 100 of those will be produced sooner or later. So has it passed state trials by now? In your opinion have ALL systems planned for the vehicle complete FULL state trial before the vehicle will be called operational? :)

PS Me anti-Russian... That's a new milestone of my forum life :)