Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Tactics for Newbies

Folks, most of my gaming life has been spent on the operational and strategic levels. Further, my strength is PTO not ETO. With that in mind, I hope you won’t mind me asking about some basic (and probably stupid smile.gif) tactical issues. I am running v1.05.

First off, I just got the game on Friday. I decided it would be best to get my feet wet in some small meeting engagements. To that end, I’ve been playing 600 point meeting engagements, random enemy troop quality, random time of day and weather, medium map, all else at default (except for terrain).

My typical purchased force would be (November ’44);

reg. rifle platoon X 2

vet. MMG team X 2

vet. Bazooka team X 2

reg. arty FO (80mm I think) X 1

reg. ‘Easy-eight’ Sherman. X 1 (or experiment with various light vehicles)

Interestingly, I seem to be able to purchase a better quality force if playing the Axis. While the force mix would be similar, I can afford to make at least one of the rifle platoons a veteran group, for example.

I think I have found the key to victory vs. the AI in meeting engagements. Run. smile.gif I virtually always beat the enemy to the objective. Then, as the enemy begins to appear, I take a good guess as to the approach routes, and whack him with the arty. Is there anything so beautiful in life as a well-executed arty strike?

However, I have yet to see the enemy respond in kind. Now, I happen to think the AI is pretty darn good from what I’ve seen so far. Further, any AI I’ve ever played against, good or bad, always defends better than it attacks. Since my running virtually turns what should be a meeting engagement in to an AI attack (and yes, I realize I won’t get away with lot of this stuff vs. humans) I’d say that accounts for a good deal of my success. However, with all my cheap tactics smile.gif notwithstanding, sooner or later the battle is joined in earnest. Many times I have defended a position that seems perfect for an artillery attack by the enemy. I cringe... waiting. It never comes. Now, I’ve probably played perhaps 20 of these battles. I have actually seen enemy spotters. What’s up? Dumb luck?

Speaking of arty FOs, how do I cease-fire without performing another action like moving? I did RTFM, BTW, but if it’s a RTFM issue, feel free to say so.

With regards to weather, I have yet to see snow in November!

Except for transport capability, are halftracks completely useless? The AI seems to use them rather aggressively, and to no good end. A wreck waiting to happen. The only time one was a pain happened because my tank was knocked out early, and my bazooka teams simply had too many targets and ran out of ammo. They don’t even back off when, in my estimation, they should have surely heard my tank nearby! Or, perhaps they didn’t hear my tank over their own engine noise.... hmmm. What is the historical role for these platforms aside from transport; flank/rear guard duty?

Sorry to have rambled, and thanks for your patience. Excuse my newbieness. Next up, attack missions! Stay tuned for a new slew of dumbass questions! smile.gif

Well, I'm certainly no expert at this game but I'll take a crack at answering some of your questions. If I'm wrong on anything I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Interestingly, I seem to be able to purchase a better quality force if playing the Axis. While the force mix would be similar, I can afford to make at least one of the rifle platoons a veteran group, for example.

Keep in mind not all rifle platoons are created equal. That's why they have different price values. As an example: a german rifle squad has 9 men and an American squad has 12. Also, different types of infantry squads carry different weapons so their effectiveness will vary there too.

Many times I have defended a position that seems perfect for an artillery attack by the enemy. I cringe... waiting. It never comes. Now, I’ve probably played perhaps 20 of these battles. I have actually seen enemy spotters. What’s up? Dumb luck?

Well, as you pointed out the AI will never be as good as a human opponent. That being said, the AI does used its artillery. Some times it can be very devestating with it too. As to the whole AI meeting engagement thing, yeah, it doesn't play those well. I started playing the attack and assualt quick battles with the AI more often now or give the AI a good bonus in the setup options.

Speaking of arty FOs, how do I cease-fire without performing another action like moving?

This is an easy one if I understand your question correctly. While your FO is selected just press the "X" key. Let me recommend that you check the hotkey list. While playing unselect any units and you'll see a place at the bottom of your screen to click that will show you the hotkey list.

Except for transport capability, are halftracks completely useless?

No, not completely, heh heh. Actually they are usefull if used properly. Just remember these things are in no way a tank. They can even be taken out with a HMG. If you keep them away from the big weapons though, they can server as a decent mobile machinegun/light gun platform.

The most important thing is to NOT play it like a C&C style RTS game. The AI will kick your ass if you do. You have to use real world tactics. This means running from cover to cover, over-watch covering fire (leap frogging) use flanking manuevers when possible.

Just a note though...

Instead of Sherman Easy-Eights, buy Sherman Jumbos if you can. They can take frontal shots from Panthers all day long.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>As to the whole AI meeting engagement thing, yeah, it doesn't play those well. I started playing the attack and assualt quick battles with the AI more often now or give the AI a good bonus in the setup options.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I played my first attack and assault scenarios last night. Far more challenging indeed. Especially when that pillbox on the hill knocks out your tank on the first shot. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Let me recommend that you check the hotkey list.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A very gentlemanly way to tell me to RTFM again. Thanks. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If you keep them away from the big weapons though, they can server as a decent mobile machinegun/light gun platform.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That’s what I thought, or at least suspected. Seemingly the AI is a tad too aggressive with these units.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The most important thing is to NOT play it like a C&C style RTS game. The AI will kick your ass if you do. You have to use real world tactics. This means running from cover to cover, over-watch covering fire (leap frogging) use flanking manuevers when possible.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fear not. Though my strength may not be tactical level or ETO, I am a traditional gamer with some experience with the likes of Squad Leader and Ambush.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Just a note though... Instead of Sherman Easy-Eights, buy Sherman Jumbos if you can. They can take frontal shots from Panthers all day long.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear you. Unfortunately, at 600 points (where I’d like to keep it for the time being), Jumbos are just a tad over my spending limit.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Someone's going to say it, so it might as well be me...

Jump into PBEM as soon as you can. No matter how much you play the AI, it won't give you any taste of what a person on the other end will do to you. Once you have the interface figured out (ie, it sounds like *now*) it's probably time to start trolling for games.

And, as a bonus smile.gif, I'll throw in an opinion to one of your questions. Halftracks, as you noticed, are doomed in the slightest presence of any armor or Bazooka/PIAT/PS/PF. However, they(especially the US M3A1) are quite good at suppressing infantry. They make a nice mobile MG platform to provide cover fire for an infantry assault or for flank security on defense. Just be sure to keep a healthy distance between the halftrack and the infantry being suppressed. smile.gif

engy

------------------

"He who makes war without many mistakes has not made war very long."

Napoleon Bonaparte

Guest Mikey D

In reply to "what use are halftracks?", Basically it's the machineguns and the mobility. Try walking your poor overworked .50 cal machinegunner halfway across the map to a choice spot. An M3A1 with .50 cal pulpit mount scoots across the countryside in no time.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scrogdog:

I think I have found the key to victory vs. the AI in meeting engagements. Run. smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The AI sucks at MEs. If you must play these use the +/- force thing in the QB setup to give the AI a points advantage. Actually, that's good advice for any game against the AI.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have defended a position that seems perfect for an artillery attack by the enemy. I cringe... waiting. It never comes. Now, I’ve probably played perhaps 20 of these battles. I have actually seen enemy spotters. What’s up? Dumb luck?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm... Are you doing auto purchase? Maybe the AI is just not buying FOs for some reason. I always purchase the AIs stuff for him and give him all the arty he can afford. Believe me you, arty is the one area where the AI is almost as good as a typical human player. Give it a bunch of 120mm and you will feel the burn smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Except for transport capability, are halftracks completely useless?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

German halftracks lack the firepower and ammo to do much, but American M3A1 and M5A1 are excellent cheap infantry support vehicles. They can even take out light German armor with their .50 cals.

------------------

You mean my Java coded Real Time Bar Fight Simulator Madmatt Mission: Beyond BiteMe ISN'T going to be published?!?

Madmatt

Yes, all enemy troops are auto-purchased. I like not knowing what I’m up against, hence auto-purchase, and random time of day/weather/troop quality. In any case, I got my first taste of effective enemy arty. Never mind. smile.gif

I have also been giving the AI a +1 quality advantage. I’d rather do that than give extra purchasing points because of the random troop quality thing. I already have trouble with the sheer amount of forces I face if I happen to be battling conscripts. They may be conscripts, but it still takes a bullet to kill ‘em, just like elite troops. I’m always low on ammo!

I have another question regarding LOS/LOF from buildings. How are building apertures like doors and windows handled? I have been taking great pains to position troops defending in buildings with care thinking that fields of fire would be affected by the actual physical position of, say, a window. But visual evidence suggests that this is not the case. Case in point: last night I had a MMG positioned in a building on the upper floor. The building was at an intersection of two roads and the windows positioned in such a way that the MG team certainly had an excellent view down both roads. All of a sudden, some infantry began moving toward the building over open ground between the two roads. The MMG opens up and the fire is apparently coming right through the corner of the building! Now, this might be perfectly ‘real’. Perhaps I do not understand how MG in such a situation works in real life. Seemingly, in order to swivel the MG to bear on targets at this kind of weird angle, the front feet of the tripod would have to allow the barrel of the MG to hang out the window! Even if that were possible, we wouldn’t want to do that, would we?

I get the feeling that the answer will be, “it’s an abstraction, so shaddup.” smile.gif

It’s no big deal, just curious.