Hello Darkness my old friend...

Okay I would like to know if I am correct on my observations that at night burning vehicles do not illuminate/reveal units around them making spotting these units easier or at a range further than weather conditions normally permit. I could not find any reference to this subject in the manual or on the forum. I tested it with clear conditions at 0300hrs and 398 meters seems to be the standard maximum distance of observation regardless of a burning vehicles area of illumination. Just want to make sure I am not missing any other parameters that I did not check while testing.  

Thanks for the quick response. How do I contact the supervisor of customer relations to leave positive feedback.:P

Anyway that is what I thought was the situation. So there is no joy in Mudville tonight.

Say did you know with the 4.0 upgrade if you play a night battle and turn the sound up really high you can just hear the Germans in the background playing the Reich's official version of "Marco Polo". One German will say "Seek" and another says "Heil". Then they throw in variations such as "I'm not Goring after you. I am after Himmler", "I Heer you..." and "I Nazi anything, it's too dark out here." :lol:

22 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

You're correct; burning vehicles don't affect visibility. It's just for show.

No, that's not correct. There is a campaign mission in FB which has low visibility due to the late time of day, but once some vehicles start burning, the visibility dramatically improves.

On 7/2/2017 at 9:01 PM, mech.gato said:

Say did you know with the 4.0 upgrade if you play a night battle and turn the sound up really high you can just hear the Germans in the background playing the Reich's official version of "Marco Polo". One German will say "Seek" and another says "Heil". Then they throw in variations such as "I'm not Goring after you. I am after Himmler", "I Heer you..." and "I Nazi anything, it's too dark out here." :lol:

"My dog has no nose!"

On 2.7.2017 at 3:01 PM, mech.gato said:

Glorious! :D

Oh man that Monty Python skit is still funny as hell. Now that raises a question. Will Battlefront work the "Deadly Joke" into the next mod? Which means someone will have to calculate how many copies were distributed per Battalion. What is the rate of iteration for the phrase so we know the JPM (joke per minuet) rate. Also the effective range of the joke. And last but not least, if a enemy soldier hears only two words is his condition now rated as minor or significantly wounded? 

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:10 AM, LukeFF said:

No, that's not correct. There is a campaign mission in FB which has low visibility due to the late time of day, but once some vehicles start burning, the visibility dramatically improves.

visibility or spotting - too my knowledge there is no dynamic lighting to improve spotting.  Sounds like something worth doing a quick check to test though - back in a jiffy

hmm my first quick test seems to indicate I am wrong.  I have 3 German units in the open at night, one next to a burning vehicle.  So far only the unit near the vehicle has been spotted.

hmm maybe not.  The guy who was spotted was crouched.  The next and first prone unit spotted is not near the vehicle. Yeah spotted all 3 teams - one individual in each.  The only prone individuals are in the teams not near the vehicle. Of the three guys in the team near the vehicle, only the crouching one has been spotted.

It is only one test but seems to indicate that for spotting purposes the flames have no impact.

Edited by sburke

Wow! Thanks for doing that extensive test. I didn't think of using infantry which can change stance. I just put a destroyed truck next to a burning one and went with that. Your test is more conclusive as it uses the smallest element in the game. Once again thank you and to everyone who responded to this post for your time and efforts.