Mode where map details are revealed only when sighted

Another idea, as I jump back into the CMx2 games after a 6-month hiatus....

In reality, advancing troops usually wouldn't know the details of the upcoming terrain until they actually got there and put their eyes on it. (Depending on the level of prior intelligence, I suppose.)

So how about a game mode -- if feasible, for CMx3... and even if it only appeared at the Iron difficulty level or whatever -- where the terrain types and terrain elevation changes, the layouts of towns and buildings, the upcoming cover and concealment locations, etc., did not appear on your map until your advancing units actually spotted them?

I'm sure this is not the first time such a thing has been proposed, but still, I think this would add a whole new recon aspect to the game. But again, as a hardcore option only. I personally wouldn't want it to be something that was imposed on every player in every scenario.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Hmmm...  You mean like they just landed on a new planet and have no maps or aerial reconnaissance??

How good was their recon though? They didn't even know about the bocage.... So there are obvious information gaps. There are well-known (and some unknown) limits as to what the intel people could conclude from aerial photos and low-detail maps.

Personally this is not something i would like to see included...Optinal or not.

It would bring very little to the game imo and i'd much rather see BFC spend their precious time on many, many other things...

This is a feature for...fantasy RTS-games imo...

Thanks for the suggestion though ! :) Community ideas brought forward in these forums are always welcome i'm sure...

Maybe other wlll like this but for me....no, no, no.

1 hour ago, sttp said:

How good was their recon though? They didn't even know about the bocage.... So there are obvious information gaps. There are well-known (and some unknown) limits as to what the intel people could conclude from aerial photos and low-detail maps.

I'm pretty sure they where aware of the pressence of the bocage...They just didn't realice how difficult it would be to fight there...i belive the maps where pretty accurate...

Starcraft had that feature: you didn't get to see any of the map until your Zerglings loped through it (Kekekekeke!) All else was darkness: 'Here Be Dragons'

I vaguely recall seeing a wargame once where unseen areas showed as a period 1:25,000 topo map. But while cool, that would put a further burden on scenario designers.

12 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Starcraft had that feature: you didn't get to see any of the map until your Zerglings loped through it (Kekekekeke!) All else was darkness: 'Here Be Dragons'

I vaguely recall seeing a wargame once where unseen areas showed as a period 1:25,000 topo map. But while cool, that would put a further burden on scenario designers.

Total War does something similar to the topo map thing in the great campaign.