Lend-Lease stuff coming soon?

18 hours ago, 76mm said:

Uh, OK. I don't know those games but did they involve developing whole new engines (or did Half Life 2 really use the same engine as Half Life 1?) rather then just producing some new 3D models, OOBs, and scenarios?  Should it really take 3+ years to take CMRT to the end of the war, especially when it seems a significant portion of the work would have been developed for CMFB?  

My bold - this involves a lot more work than you seem to appreciate.  Moving on then to the scenarios - you can't finish them until the OOBs are done and testing each one, plus the campaign is not a five minute job.

Could it be a result of the timeline and theatre? Was the Heer so shattered in 1944-45 on the Eastern Front that there aren't reliable doccuments? Or maybe units were so divergent from their established TO&E that the scenarios and campaigns need specific, detailed research?

Just speculating here. I think most of us remember CMFI falling behind on the engine update because of the OOB changes involved. 

18 minutes ago, DougPhresh said:

Could it be a result of the timeline and theatre? Was the Heer so shattered in 1944-45 on the Eastern Front that there aren't reliable doccuments? Or maybe units were so divergent from their established TO&E that the scenarios and campaigns need specific, detailed research?

Sure, some units and their records were basically wiped from the earth,but many were not--the already portrayed in CMRT are those most likely to have seen German units wiped out.   

In any event, I don't think this would be a good reason to delay release of the next module for years--if you can't find the exact OOB for a particular battle, choose another.  Moreover, I'm not sure what level of detail you're talking about, but who cares what kind of pistol a guy has, or exactly how many rounds? I would expect that the boys have enough experience to "connect the dots" from whatever is missing from their sources to come up with a very reasonable approximation of reality.

Two and a half years on the eastern front....never mind battle packs or vehicle packs or any of the faster to release content that was going to be the beauty of the new engine, we don't even have snow yet. c'mon too, too slow.

Just my 2 cents...

On the french CM fan-site "Appui-Feu" (founded 17 years ago!), we recently have the same discussion...  The CM Module/patch system is quite confusing for non english speakers and many players feel quite frustrated about Battlefront lack of communication.  

1 hour ago, Xavierisback said:

We are not talking about chatting but just share some vision or roadmap... 

Exactly. We only receive info once a year with the Xmas bone and some years, as the last, the info was really short and not concise. Sharing the main work lines on BF is moving wouln't be a problem for the company, they won't lose work time for write a post here every 2-3 months. It'd be appreciated for the player base, and it would increase the hype for the games, modules, etc in development. I love this games, probably I don't lie if say that all us we love Combat Mission, but reading this forum and with my own experience, I feel that the main community disagreement with BF is the lack of communication about the project. Specially in a game with so long development timeframes. For example, aand based on this thread, Red Thunder is not receiving new material since the base game release in 2014. Three years playing with a few maps (very few in my opinion), and we only know that we will receive a module ending this year or starting 2018 (my two cents that sadly it won't be till spring summer, at least) But we don't have any real idea about wich is coming. Winter?, Lend-lease? Timeframe from October'44 to May'45?... This is the point, mostly of the ideas are simply speculations here, in the forum, but not real info about the game.

3 minutes ago, CM-Kane said:

Same here.

The lack of information is very disappointing. Where are the youtube videos of ChrisNd showing new stuff? An update per month would be great, pics, videos etc...

ChrisND doesn't work for Battlefront any longer. And yes, I agree that having someone handle community management is important in an era where gamers are accustomed to routine status updates from developers.

Edited by Apocal

1 hour ago, J Bennett said:

ChrisND gone too ?

I began to notice his absence from the forums a couple of months ago and wondered what had happened to him. I had thought (hoped) that he was simply too deeply involved in some CM project and didn't have the time. I hope all is well with him.

Michael

19 hours ago, J Bennett said:

ChrisND gone too ?  Not very good news. I thought he was a mainstay.

In my opinion he wasn't very good at promoting CM. His screenshots for CMFB gave such a poor impression of the game, that I wondered whether he knew what he was doing. Mind you, the promotion of CM always has been weak and uninspired. Much to improve and gain there.

45 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

In my opinion he wasn't very good at promoting CM. His screenshots for CMFB gave such a poor impression of the game, that I wondered whether he knew what he was doing. Mind you, the promotion of CM always has been weak and uninspired. Much to improve and gain there.

Who looks at screenshots nowadays though? It's all about the streaming when it comes to marketing your product.

2 hours ago, Apocal said:

Who looks at screenshots nowadays though? It's all about the streaming when it comes to marketing your product.

That might be true for most people, but I enjoy a good screenshot tremendously. And if you decide to post some, then better make sure they are impressive.

Not sure how the news came here about Chris' departure.  That only became official last week.  So here's the official scoop...

As of last week Chris is on a leave of absence due to burn out.  Anybody who has ever worked remotely, without the daily routine interactions with Humans (or close equivalents!), knows that it's easy to do.  Especially for something like game development.  Very, very few people are wired to handle it long term.  Unfortunately, Chris is in the majority on this one :( 

Burnout is pretty normal for the games industry, even when working in an office environment.  No matter how laid back management is, the work is intense and comes with a fair amount of pressure.  The fact that we've never had anybody work for us for less than 5 years is pretty damned good.  Chris was at the 5 year mark, plus a couple of years of part time work before that.

It's uncertain if Chris can, or even should, rejoin us on a full time basis.  His heart wants to, for sure.  My hope is that eventually he can return to work with Combat Mission on a part time project basis.  As you all know, he's pretty much kick arse and will be sorely missed.  I can also confirm that he's 10 times more awesome as an employee than he is a content creator.

I'm offline for a few days, so no follow ups from me for a bit.  The above pretty much speaks for itself anyway.

Steve

25 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Not sure how the news came here about Chris' departure.  That only became official last week.  So here's the official scoop...

As of last week Chris is on a leave of absence due to burn out.  Anybody who has ever worked remotely, without the daily routine interactions with Humans (or close equivalents!), knows that it's easy to do.  Especially for something like game development.  Very, very few people are wired to handle it long term.  Unfortunately, Chris is in the majority on this one :( 

Burnout is pretty normal for the games industry, even when working in an office environment.  No matter how laid back management is, the work is intense and comes with a fair amount of pressure.  The fact that we've never had anybody work for us for less than 5 years is pretty damned good.  Chris was at the 5 year mark, plus a couple of years of part time work before that.

It's uncertain if Chris can, or even should, rejoin us on a full time basis.  His heart wants to, for sure.  My hope is that eventually he can return to work with Combat Mission on a part time project basis.  As you all know, he's pretty much kick arse and will be sorely missed.  I can also confirm that he's 10 times more awesome as an employee than he is a content creator.

I'm offline for a few days, so no follow ups from me for a bit.  The above pretty much speaks for itself anyway.

Steve

I'm sad to hear that as I suspected that might be the case when he dropped off the radar. I've been in that situation myself and know how tough it is. Both being in the midst of it, but also getting back on your feet in time. If you ever do fully. Give my best regards to Chris and that he will have a full recovery in time.

I would also like to wish ChrisND a full recovery from his "burn out" and hope that he will continue working on the CM series. 

I think his tutorial videos for Black Sea and Final Blitzkrieg were particularly effective (that's how I learned about all the CM features). 

As for trailers and screenshots, I don't imagine that was one of his work priorities. That being said, the game would greatly benefit from better advertising... there are hoards of potential mature gamers out there (I think). 

I'm pretty sure Steve outlined the release order elsewhere. I am fairly certain that the CMFI module is next up, according to the flight plan. That doesn't necessarily mean that the RT module isn't being worked on, however.

Rest assured that work has indeed been underway on the RT module (lots of work). I don't know when and how Steve wants to go into detail about any of the features and progress, but I'm sure "when it is ready" to be discussed in more particular detail, it will be.