Lend-Lease stuff coming soon?

55 minutes ago, 76mm said:

I just read an interesting Russian book about Kursk which had several interesting pix of Lend-Lease M3s at Kursk...didn't realize that the Russians had so many of them, wonder if they'll make it into the game at some point?

For the coming module I'm hoping for the Sherman series and the M2 halftrack series. The rest is somewhat less interesting to me.

That's the fella.  :rolleyes:

Considering the Soviets had the T-34 in service for a couple of years by the time they got M3s, their attitude towards them isn't a huge surprise, I mean just look at them:

Soviet_M3_Lee_tanks_of_the_6th_Guards_Ar

It was the two lead vehicles and the last vehicle in this picture (15, 16 & 17) that I was supposed to build, I have the kits (Mirage Hobby 1/72) and they already have the proper markings.....My assumption is this is the 2nd platoon of a company, the third tank in the picture (11) is probably the Co. HQ (1st platoon would have tanks 12, 13 & 14, 3rd platoon would have 18, 19 & 20).  The unit is the 193rd Independent Tank Regiment, so my guess is that the turret markings indicate B Co. of the 1st Battalion (the tanks of A Co. would be numbered 1-10 and C Co. 21-30).

Some info & nice pics here:  http://www.theshermantank.com/lee-and-grant-tanks/soviet-shermans-the-soviet-union-used-and-liked-the-sherman/

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

One pattern I've seen in CM titles is hobbyist-players are enthused about a certain vehicle entering the game, then comes the time to use them in battles and its like "Eeeeew , these suck!" Okay, maybe not quite that extreme but 'exotic' vehicles do not often become a gameplay favorite. Poor little Hetzer did not exactly shine in combat. ^_^

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

One pattern I've seen in CM titles is hobbyist-players are enthused about a certain vehicle entering the game, then comes the time to use them in battles and its like "Eeeeew , these suck!"

At least with regard to the M3s, I can't say that I've seen anyone "enthused" about seeing them in the game--at best I expressed a mild curiosity if they'd make it in...they'd certainly be about the last AFV I'd choose in a game.

The Russians got a whole 52 M10s. See Ordnance--General Supplies Part I LIne 13 on Page 9 from the master LL list.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/LL-Ship/LL-Ship-3A.html

This translated Russian high level letter on the US LL AFV situation should be of interest.

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2013/11/11/soviet-opinion-on-lend-lease-us-tanks/

This rattled my cage, but amazing things are possible, evidently, with small Russian soldiers!

(Fair Use)

Anonymous on November 11, 2013 at 12:16 pm said:

In other report soviets had placed 14 infantrymen into M3 Lee and recomended it as makeshift APC.

• ad516503a11cd5ca435acc9bb6523536?s=39Anonymouson November 11, 2013 at 7:55 pm said:

Pleas give a link, that sounds interessting

• ad516503a11cd5ca435acc9bb6523536?s=39Anonymouson November 12, 2013 at 2:26 am said:

Post & document is in russian ofc, so someone need to translate it. My english is too bad for it.
      http://litl-bro.livejournal.com/6464.html

Google-translated relevant part:

“Internal dimensions of the tank M-3 medium allow to place inside the tank, in addition to the crew, 10 people armed with PPShs. When placing and transportation of the specified number of gunmen firing from all arms of the tank is possible. As a result, we consider it possible to recommend the tank M-3 medium as a means to transport infantry “

• f966a7d6ea3769d3764b3d1b8b5da242?s=39&d=

Since the Russians called the M3 Lee the "coffin for seven brothers," it would seem that in the full crew plus PPSh41 squad configuration, "and the neighbors" should be added.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, Shorker said:

After all that is produced (CMFI, CMRT,CMSF2), which I am anxiously awaiting, of course :), would it be within the scope of the possibility that we shall get a title from the early war events, like a "CMRF" (Combat Mission: Raid on France) 1940?

You are not alone. There are many of us who want to see a BF covering early stages of the war such as Poland , France, Barbarossa,... But unfortunately and given the pace of releases, at best, I wouldn't bet to see these tittles before 4-5 years.

Covering the whole war was the original idea - to duplicate what the original CM1 games gave us in one game.  It makes commercial sense to split the games up into different eras.  However, at the current rate of production it does seem doubtful that we'll get to 1939 invasion of Poland within some of our lifetimes.  :(    And with talk of a CM3 engine, who knows...   However, I kinda hope that BF has changed priorities re WW2 and made CMSF2 the priority.  That would seem to be the most likely to garner sales while the topic is so current.

Even though the WW2 titles are more technically advanced I got burned out on the European terrains and weather.  Have been going back to CMSF and even CMA for a lovely change of scenery (as well as blues skies and sunshine). 

Edited by Erwin

Last week I was watching a Korean TV drama (I do like Korean TV). The male lead was a wealthy CEO of a game design firm. I had to chuckle to see they gave him an entire high-rise office tower full of employees in prime downtown Seoul real estate. Sweet gig! By comparison, BFC's CEO (is he the CEO?) chops down trees in his back lot in rural Maine for winter firewood. No downtown Seoul office towers.

BFC is what you might call a 'boutique' gaming company. No vast staff, no multiple production departments, no sprawling office park accommodations, no churning out millions worth of Playstation titles. Each succeeding title, module and pack comes in its own time at its own pace. Sometimes they come quickly without problems, sometimes they don't. Yes, CMRT to war's end module with lend-lease equipment is in the queue, as is CMFI to war's end, plus CMSF2 mega-upgrade and other stuff. But there's no rushing any of it.

35 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Last week I was watching a Korean TV drama (I do like Korean TV). The male lead was a wealthy CEO of a game design firm. I had to chuckle to see they gave him an entire high-rise office tower full of employees in prime downtown Seoul real estate. Sweet gig! By comparison, BFC's CEO (is he the CEO?) chops down trees in his back lot in rural Maine for winter firewood. No downtown Seoul office towers.

BFC is what you might call a 'boutique' gaming company. No vast staff, no multiple production departments, no sprawling office park accommodations, no churning out millions worth of Playstation titles. Each succeeding title, module and pack comes in its own time at its own pace. Sometimes they come quickly without problems, sometimes they don't. Yes, CMRT to war's end module with lend-lease equipment is in the queue, as is CMFI to war's end, plus CMSF2 mega-upgrade and other stuff. But there's no rushing any of it.

Sometimes.... that does not happen since long time ago. CMx2 serie was released in 2011, we had two base games and three modules when 2013 was ending. After this moment, we are lucky if a base game or module is release along the year. Currently we have only a update, nothing more for the moment and, being frankly, I doubt that we see any more along this year (I wish to be wrong). I do not doubt that BF is far from being a huge company, with unlimited human or economic resources, but the fall in the production rate doesn't suggest to me that we can play blitzkrieg period in a reasonable timeframe. In fact, I don't believe that my boys take Remagen before 2020.

I love new stuff as much as the next gamer... Let's not forget that there is still plenty of content to play - with 6-7 PBEM games on the go, I play all the newer titles at least once a day for a couple of hours each day***. I see no end to my enjoyment in sight. Each and every game has scenarios I have not played yet.

*** Sorry to any opponents who might be reading this and chocked on their coffee at that remark - my recent delays were caused by being slammed at work with after hours and my boss calling me on my personal cell. Not complaining since it does not happen often but it sure messes with the schedule.

21 hours ago, MikeyD said:

On top of which, wargaming has always been the poor stepchild of the entertainment industry. Going back half a century to the early days of cardboard games, Avalon Hill—which was probably the leader in the industry, publishing and selling the most games—was housed in offices that might almost be described as "primitive", but compared to SPI, the other industry leader, might almost be described as palatial.

I don't know just how much money is to be had in computer gaming, but generally I doubt that it is a huge market, and historical wargaming is a small subset of that market (fantasy wargaming seems to enjoy greater sales for instance). And judging by the rate at which companies come and go, I suspect that raising enough cash to stay in business and keep turning out a quality product is not easy.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit disappointed that nobody was wondering which Korean TV series (nominally) involved a game design company. The superhero series "Strong Woman Do Bong Soon" from earlier this year. Another (inferior) TV series that went deeper into game design (and company espionage) was "Lucky Romance" from 2016.

Here's an example of why you shouldn't mess with software designers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQj_wxq-EVA

• 5 months later...
On 8/11/2017 at 1:16 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's the fella.  :rolleyes:

Considering the Soviets had the T-34 in service for a couple of years by the time they got M3s, their attitude towards them isn't a huge surprise, I mean just look at them:

Soviet_M3_Lee_tanks_of_the_6th_Guards_Ar

Did these come with wireless sets? In early war, Soviet tanks had a lack of wireless sets and that the Germans learned to exploit that. Meanwhile American radios were generally fairly advanced. I can imagine that for for situations that required tactical finesse, these lovely M3s would have been more valuable than a T-34.

I think people often overlook the power of radios.

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I believe they did.....Your point about radios is very valid, but not something that really shows up in the current CM:RT game, it's more a thing for the earlier years (not by much though).

Except for T-70s! Whose idea was it to build a light tank for recon without a radio?! Especially with a one-man turret. I do appreciste the tactical challenge they pose, of whether to open up for spotting and to facilitate C2, or to close up for safety and ability to fire. It seems like a realistic dilemma. 

Edited by General Liederkranz