Could anyone convert QB maps from BN or FI to BS?

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

There may be an issue with the map '421 meet large city (damage)'.....The game crashes when I try to load it.

That must have been my oversight. Some maps just don't work. Market Garden maps with Windmills and the unique bridges are an obvious example.

I suppose someone could delete the bridges and special buildings in BN, and then add the modern bridges and buildings in BS, but that person isn't me! Many of the Italian villages look "off" with modern buildings. If someone is a scenario maker maybe they could go through and update some of the maps, if they wanted to.

027Attk Large Town (steep hills).btt  Just finished playing the map with a Minor Defeat (mostly cuz I was a knucklehead and did not have my units FIRMLY on one objective)....  I was at least hoping for a draw.

Totally different play experience.  The terrain and lethality of modern weapons really make these maps a challenge.  LOS is everything, because I had several instances where I couldn't use Javelins or mortars because I was too close to the enemy by the time I spotted him.  Drones are very useful here, but are also limited by LOS and terrain.

And of course the more aggressive AI...I think those Russian bastards were launching a counterattack when time ran out...and of course I shoulda set more time.  Lesson learned as well.

Wow, I can't wait to have a straight infantry battle on some of that mountainous terrain...see who is really king of the hill.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to say thanks for this awesome tool; I've already "mutated" a bunch of CMFI maps to CMRT.

I also wanted to point out to other players that the tool does not seem to work if the map name has spaces in it--at least for me it generates an error in this case.  But just change the name to eliminate the spaces and-voila-works great!

While we're playing with maps, two other questions:

1)  Has anyone converted from CMBS to CMRT?  How do the maps turn out, especially buildings, etc.? (I don't have CMBS but might buy it if I can get a load of new Russia-esque maps).

2)  While we're playing with maps, has anyone figured out how to "spin" maps to re-orient them (change which end of map is north, etc.)?

Edited by 76mm

On 7/30/2017 at 6:30 PM, DougPhresh said:

Doug,

DB links are down :(

On 7/30/2017 at 10:06 PM, DougPhresh said:

Vanilla CMBN maps just flat-out don't work as much as I've tried. I think the issue might be hedgerows, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I have not been able to get any CMBN maps to work in CMRT (although I don't have MG)...has anyone gotten this to work?

Also, can anyone confirm that there is not a similar problem converting CMBS maps to CMRT?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Bringing this back from the dead for two reasons: 1) I had forgotten how to do this and Rome to Victory and Shock Force 2 have some outstanding maps and 2) I was hoping to find my own dropbox files only to see that the links were dead here as well.

Does anyone know the hex code for SF2? Those maps would be great in Black Sea and vice versa.

Edited by DougPhresh

I'd be a bit cautious about trying to port CM:SF, CM:A or CM:SF2 maps to the other titles.....They have a few scenery types that are unique.  It may only require some corrections (terrain trenches/ditches would need to be replaced etc.), but it might also crash your game (some of the ported CM:FI maps seem to be unstable in CM:BS).

PS - That being said, if you do manage to port 'em.....Could I grab a copy (in either/both formats)?  ;)

PPS - The instability mentioned above may just be down to units being left on the maps.....Not all of the QB maps are empty of units.  These are replaced by whatever you select in a QB so you won't ever see them unless you check the map in the editor.  If these overlooked units are left in place when you make the conversion I suspect it may cause 'issues'.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 3 weeks later...

I remember porting an CM:FI scenario to CM:FB. It was Venafro - Back into Hell and a very small map with limited variation in buildings. It would crash in FB repeatedly and I couldn't nail down which map item was the cause. After alot of testing it turned out to be the stove pipe chimneys which I thought were flavor objects and wouldn't cause a crash, but after I removed them all it converted and ran in FB fine.

As for map conversions for BS, I have a few I've done. I generally take scenarios from other games, convert them, then loadup new formations and attach the existing AI scripts with both games open to try and get a similar formation. This doesn't always work out as planned, e.g. I converted Monster Mash from Red Thunder and swapped out the IS-2s for T-90s and the Panthers for M1A2's, but while a massed AI tank assault might work for the russians in a WW2 scenario, against the Abrams it doesn't. It just doesn't.

On 8/27/2017 at 12:16 PM, 76mm said:

Yeah, I have not been able to get any CMBN maps to work in CMRT (although I don't have MG)...has anyone gotten this to work?

Also, can anyone confirm that there is not a similar problem converting CMBS maps to CMRT?

Bocage is unique to CMBN and may be the cause of your problems.