Massive on-board mortar bug

Man, I just figured out how some players have been cheating with mortars. 

I had seen it before but could not figure out what my opponent was doing . I have found the issue.

What a massive bug. Really this is somewhat of a game breaker too.

So by giving a mortar a move command and then a fire order at the end of the move on the setup phase. I found I could fire for the rest of the game anywhere I want on the map, even after moving. No line of site or command unit needed.

Basically, no matter what I did with the mortars in the game after turn one, they acted just like they would if I was assigning them a command in the set up phase

Easy to test and verify, please get this in BF' s need to fix pile quickly.

For the moment, I will start calling them my drone warfare units.

10 hours ago, slysniper said:

Man, I just figured out how some players have been cheating with mortars. 

I had seen it before but could not figure out what my opponent was doing . I have found the issue.

What a massive bug. Really this is somewhat of a game breaker too.
 confirm, this only happens i
So by giving a mortar a move command and then a fire order at the end of the move on the setup phase. I found I could fire for the rest of the game anywhere I want on the map, even after moving. No line of site or command unit needed.

Basically, no matter what I did with the mortars in the game after turn one, they acted just like they would if I was assigning them a command in the set up phase

Easy to test and verify, please get this in BF' s need to fix pile quickly.

Amazing... Learning the quality of your opponents I would say Sly.  Just to confirm, this only happens when you give a target order at the end of a move in the setup phase?  

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

12 hours ago, slysniper said:

Brilliant.  Is this true for the other titles?   

And why not just tell BF quietly instead of announcing it.  I like cheating vs the AI cos am convinced that Ai is a dam cheating liar and it says mean things about me behind my back to its pixeltruppen.  Am sure I see them sniggering at my tactical moves sometimes, and I so much want to give that bastard AI a bloody nose!

Ok, my opponent did not actually do this, my bad. His rounds were just way off target.

But it still led me to find this error, which was me just trying to figure out if there is a way to delay pre-planned arty for just a few turns.

Needless to say, found something a little more powerful than that.

I'm may be dumb but i wasn't able to reproduce what you describe...:mellow:

But, I discovered that if you give a targer order to a mortar during the setup phase. This order remains until you cancel it and even if the mortar has moved. Then you can hit something you don't see. Is this the same bug?

1 hour ago, Xavierisback said:

nope see next post...

1 hour ago, Xavierisback said:

But, I discovered that if you give a targer order to a mortar during the setup phase. This order remains until you cancel it and even if the mortar has moved. Then you can hit something you don't see. Is this the same bug?

Different issue but, that's worth trying...

Good news and bad news.

Good news I figured it out and logged a bug.

More good news it is only LOS blocked by tall walls that seems to be the problem. So, this is not a universal game breaking issue - see additional info below.

Bad news is mortars can target over tall walls easily - not just target just on the other side like they probably should.

At first I could not reproduce the scenario @slysniper describes but when I tried it with his provided scenario I could (I started with a generic QB). His test scenario had a tall wall separating some mortar teams from troops in foxholes. When I removed the tall wall and instead created a 5m high hill in its place - no more problem. When I took the original map and replaced the tall wall with heavy wood tiles with trees 8-9 squares across (I wanted to make sure that it should block LOS) again no more problem.

17 hours ago, Xavierisback said:

I would say no, 

You are actually allowed to do what is called pre-arty assignments and have arty fall on the map on turn 1, on-board and off board. 

targeting anywhere on the map. This was built into the game to represent pre-planned arty bombardments.

But in h2h play, most players hate it and make it a rule you cannot use it.

Thus the reason I was seeing if there was a way to delay it until after turn one.

off-board arty has a setting for about 5 minutes for a delay start. On board has no way to do that, until now. With what I have shown you. you can do it, timing will be determined with how far you move them and the time it takes for them to set up. But effectively, that meets the requirements most tournament rules ask for.

2 hours ago, slysniper said:

Well, that is good news, so a bug, but not a bug that is all that likely to affect much at the moment.

Indeed.

2 hours ago, slysniper said:

I see you also sent me the modified test files, I will confirm what you have found out.

Oh yes I'm glad you noticed since I forgot to tell you I did that. Thanks for confirming.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, IanL said:

Indeed.

Oh yes I'm glad you noticed since I forgot to tell you I did that. Thanks for confirming.

Oh, I forgot to mention.

Yes, I did verify that the bug had nothing to do with the preplanned mortar aspect. But is a problem with the mortar crew able to fire past tall walls like they are not blocking the view.

Needless to say, picking tall walls as my test map line of sight block, turned out to be a good or bad decision, however you want to look at it.

So a bug was found, but at least it is not a major one as to impacting the game much until it is fixed.

9 hours ago, slysniper said:

Needless to say, picking tall walls as my test map line of sight block, turned out to be a good or bad decision, however you want to look at it.

Yep, it was both. I use walls for separating testing lanes frequently but I also use terrain too if the test involves something taller than infantry. After this I'll pay attention to this lesson and use walls more carefully.

3 hours ago, IanL said:

Yep, it was both. I use walls for separating testing lanes frequently but I also use terrain too if the test involves something taller than infantry. After this I'll pay attention to this lesson and use walls more carefully.

Seems like so far you've only tested walls vs terrain.

Are you sure it's just walls and not other place-able map elements such as buildings, trees, hedgerows?

I'm not in a position to test, just thought it might be bigger issue than you think.

Edited by Pak40

• 2 weeks later...