MOUT and urban counterinsurgency (and CM)

On 1/27/2019 at 1:51 AM, mjkerner said:

I have been following modern conflicts for years...started this mod as soon as SF2 came out. It's been sidetracked for several others, but i fully intend to finish it.

(Sorry, not the best pic.)

Great stuff MJK. 

The Japanese face mods mostly don't suit Malay races,  so I tried a few mashups with mixed results....

On 4/23/2017 at 11:23 AM, LongLeftFlank said:

As is my wont to do, I took a night off from Iraq and tried modding up some Asiatic / mestizo looking faces by mashing up the old CMBN Japan face mods with Mord's Faces of Syria CMSF mod.

As you can see, my core competency is mapping, not modding. They mostly end up look more Horn of Africa than Malay Archipelago -- the CMSF wireframe is very lantern-jawed, not a natural fit for Asiatic features.  The noses are also a mess; they look like zombies with sunburn.  I may just pull some proper Malay faces off the web.  Nothing too fancy, just fit for purpose.

ASGpremod2.jpg

The jungle terrain (mix of overgrown palm grove and wild forest) looks better than expected. I suspect there's still too much LOS though.

ASGpremod3.jpg

I did like this shot though.  I wouldn't care to meet the bloke in the foreground, living or undead.  These guys are supposed to be Abu Sayyaf, so lots to do on their clothing too.

ASGpremod.jpg

And where do Spies pick up A4s and M16s? (ASG uses almost exclusively the same weapons as the AFP, not Bloc/Norinco arms). Like good zombies, they police up the bodies of some US soldiers and Marines I unkindly colocated with a VBIED at start to ensure they play no further role in the proceedings.  Every now and then one actually survives though.....

ASGpremodloot.jpg

Great stuff, LLF!  I missed the face thread, I guess, but if I'm not mistaken, I did use your japanese faces. I'm making new ones for the Filipinos, but I go back and forth with the African faces I'm also working on. I really enjoy the articles and links, and information and ideas you, Sgt. Squarehead,  MOS and the others have provided above.

This thread keeps wandering OT (not overly concerned about that), so this digital reconstruction of ancient Knossos is pretty cool....

Got me wondering about how one might map a playable urban battlespace in a labyrinthine premodern "Old Town" area: e.g. Mosul Old City, Algiers, any number of hill towns or favelas in Italy, Syria,  Afghanistan.

Start with steep hillsides and see how you go, at a guess. Outdoor stairways would be an interesting mod. One could probably do quite a bit of clever stuff with bridges as well....

Leave the AFVs at home entirely, due to the unreal gun elevations and narrow alleyways. 

Edited by LongLeftFlank

4 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

This thread keeps wandering OT (not overly concerned about that), so this digital reconstruction of ancient Knossos is pretty cool....

Got me wondering about how one might map a playable urban battlespace in a labyrinthine premodern "Old Town" area: e.g. Mosul Old City, Algiers, any number of hill towns or favelas in Italy, Syria,  Afghanistan.

Start with steep hillsides and see how you go, at a guess. Outdoor stairways would be an interesting mod. One could probably do quite a bit of clever stuff with bridges as well....

Leave the AFVs at home entirely, due to the unreal gun elevations and narrow alleyways. 

Your problem with steep slopes is always going to be doors to buildings on such slopes and AI pathfinding. Not saying it is impossible but you would probably have to compromise a lot if you're trying to map a real life location and I think it would be difficult to pull off both aesthetically and game play wise.

Happy to be proved wrong though.

Re Mosul map:  You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

Here, give this a spin while you go mad:  

As for the rest, the notion of polymath elite operators directing local forces is not the least bit new, as you know (see Rogers Rangers and their French equivalents, plus the enterprising agents of the various proto-colonial merchant Companies). It is of course the correct answer from a purely military COIN "find em and grind em"  perspective, not to mention economical.

But America's Best also wind up neck deep in day to day police brutality, extortion, arbitrary murder, sectarian and tribal vendettas, torture and other kinds of third world business as usual, including but not limited to: narcotics, chattel slavery, salary skimming, no-bid contracts, tax evasion and good old fashioned political corruption at all levels and touching most forms of commerce (ref. tribal vendettas).

Changing political winds, unhappy accidents and a wired world will thus periodically expose them to, among other things: the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (a law written so broadly as to make pretty much any American deriving foreign source income convictable at will), possibly RICO as well, and of course the IRS, business being global. Plus the various mainly European human rights courts; and who knows what the Asians may come up with.

Pandora, please pick up the white courtesy box....

Edited by LongLeftFlank

I love the Ramones (seen them more times than any other band)!  :D

31681.jpg

One of those heads is mine!  :P

1 hour ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Re Mosul map:  You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

No.  :mellow:

1 - You've already done it, I'm still talking about it.

2 - 1km x 1km of that lunacy would be the absolute maximum I would attempt.....And I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it, I've still got a golf course (& Bishr) to finish!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Ramones: As what red blooded human does not?

My 2012 Baba Amr map, derived from a section of Ramadi, might make a more suitable starting point. But to narrow many streets to alleys, model medieval and modern tenements, etc., we'd really need the non-modular building types,  including the shed and heavy (cathedral) buildings which BFC was unable to include in CMSF2.

Some distinctly middle eastern buildings would definitely be a benefit.....There was a thread in the CM:FB area that discovered some of the games can be persuaded to activate dormant building types (windmills in this instance):

Wonder if something similar could work for us here.....There are a couple of vaguely suitable Mosques & Minarets in CM:BS.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@LongLeftFlank  More on Marawi and lessons leaned (for US SoF, I think.....It's a bit waffly TBH.  :unsure:😞

That's a nice way of putting it.  It should be a very interesting read but it seems the author is in some type of competition to see how many modern catch words & phrases he can pack into every sentence.  Maybe it was time for his Officer Evaluation Report and he his trying to impress his rater with how articulate he is.  After awhile I started to laugh and just read it for comedy sake.  There are entire paragraphs of impressive, flowery, prose that might have one sentence of substance.   Below is one example.  

This network encouraged vertical and lateral coordination and information-sharing, which produced disciplined initiative, improved the situational awareness of every member of the team and allowed JIIM stakeholders to federate information and collaborate efforts. 

Well...........I got to go collaborate the efforts of my young ones (stakeholders) and federate information (in a transparent way) to encourage vertical and lateral information-sharing (for disciplined initiative) so we get the day's chores done around here with an increased situational awareness. :D  :lol:

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Chr1st on a bike ... you're not wrong. Combatintman's version of the article ...

During the Battle of Marawi, US SOTF 511 assisted local forces in defeating the enemy.

During the battle, we talked to a lot of people in-country. We established and leveraged liaison links with local and regional partners. We employed reachback support from the US and other US commands. Our intelligence reporting was written for release to local forces in order to improve information flows and reinforce transparency and trust.

As a result bad guys got killed and it didn't cost us much money or any casualties.

Methinks:

• The guy is an idiot.
  • Getting paid by the word.
  • Or has been told that articles must be a minimum length.

Actually now you boil the verbal diarrhoea to the key information, he's not exactly discovered next gen warfare here has he?