Utilizing snipers in the game?

JohnO

Before I head out to the store to get me some beer for this upcoming holiday.

I noticed that there wasn't any or very little discussion on snipers.

I'm working on a scenario labeled "TF 1-66 (Wet Gap Crossing) and was thinking to include a sniper platoon with the Task Force which is two companies, one is Mech heavy, the other is Tank heavy with an attach Stryker company. I understand that using snipers in a defensive posture is the best, but what about when it is an offensive operation.

One thing I was thinking on doing, was having some of the snipers attach to the forward Scouts.

My suggestion would be to allow for a lengthy recon phase of the battle, perhaps the first 30 minutes or so. The player would only have his recon assets on the field, with the heavier stuff coming in later as reinforcements. The snipers could act as additional recon and spotters for artillery and such. You could have them infiltrate as far forward to establish good overwatch positions, where they can then spot enemy units, call for fires and maybe even be in a position to engage a target of opportunity, depending on what weapon systems you give them.

SOP for snipers on the offense (in the game) is a good question. 

Do you use em as recon units with longer range weapons?  Use em to overwatch guard recon units armed with SMG's?  Use em to protect FO's?   Are snipers more useful as hidden spotters or as units that shoot stealthily?

Good points all of them, don't want to give away to much information, because this scenario will most likely be played as a H2H type scenario. Have to open up ATP 3-90.5 Combined Arms Battalion Feb 2016 and read about offense type operations.

JohnO,

CMBS has two basic varieties of sniper teams: t

The first is armed with rifle caliber weapons, the second with the mighty Barrett M107 .50 BMG. The first is the easier to move about undetected, but it can only effectively engage personnel, whereas the other, by virtue of SLAP (which penetrates better than most WW II ATGs) is a lethal threat to soft-skins, light armor (even frontally) and crew served weapons, such as ATGM launchers, though am not sure how this is handled in the game, having never shot at one. What I can say is that video exists from Syrian in which a Barrett destroys a Kornet launcher with only the launch tube and a small portion of the tripod visible. The M107 ought to be usable to destroy key components such as the CITV on tanks, but I am unaware any such capability exists. Given the capabilities of the M107 equipped sniper team, I would be strongly inclined to have at least one such team overwatching the scouts. Let the scouts be light, mobile and hard to spot, while having snipers of whatever stripe in support.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

3 hours ago, John Kettler said:

The M107 ought to be usable to destroy key components such as the CITV on tanks, but I am unaware any such capability exists.

I'm going to check this out in both CM:SF & CM:BS.....In the former they can readily shoot holes in BTR-60s, I can tell you that for a fact.  B)

I use them as overwatch on probable enemy dismount locations, since they are better at spotting infantry, IME. Other than that, on the attack, they are sort of redundant in a lot of cases, since there are not really collateral concerns to the same degree as in CMSF.

56 minutes ago, Apocal said:

I use them as overwatch on probable enemy dismount locations,

I like high-quality mortar-spotters for that particular job.....But I'm a bit of a b*****d like that!  :ph34r:

PS - It's the Barrett M-82 in CM:SF, but the effects seem much the same.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead