Will there be a 5.0 game engine?

"...get high fidelity 4x4 kms maps that would make @Erwin cry with joy with a snap of our fingers..."

Thank you for remembering me...   :unsure:    However, I wuz hoping that CM2 would catch up with CM1 and provide 8Km x 4Km maps like wot CM1 had at the start of the 21st century.

In terms of providing more info than BF currently provides, they are wise not to.  Just look at the whinging and handwringing that goes on when something is announced and then gets delayed.  The remorselessly repeated "Are we there yet?" posts probably drive BF nuts.

Edited by Erwin

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Erwin said:

In terms of providing more info than BF currently provides, they are wise not to.  Just look at the whinging and handwringing that goes on when something is announced and then gets delayed.  The remorselessly repeated "Are we there yet?" posts probably drive BF nuts.

Honestly...I'm not so sure.

Yes ! they will probably see a number of posts complaning about a projected release date not being met but i don't know if it is all that much better to have the phrase

"Battlefront ! any news about CMFI ?",  " Battlefront ! any news about CMRT ?", "Battlefront ! any news about CMSF2 ?" posted over and over...

Perhaps it would be better to make an annoncement and describe the current state of things to put those questions to rest for a while atleast.

They have done it before...Posted some pretty indepth future-plans threads...

I think they got pretty well recieved...

The problem is, even those discussions ended up not really being very accurate.  Its been years since BFC hit anything close to a timeline.  I think they either have to go very detailed or stick with the "not saying much" approach.  Either start a developer's blog with detailed progress reports or close down tighter than it is now.  

One way to solve this is to deliver faster.  But not sure that is feasible, with the second programmer now gone.  When do we think we will see a end of war west front, at least one module in CMBS, late war Russian front, early war Russian front, the rebuild of CMSF?  We might be talking five years to get through even half that.  That would make the game engine 15-years old.  I would think a new engine would then be needed by then and that would set everything back.

So the answer is just keep plodding along with few solid commitments.  Getting more detailed on release commitments will not stop the questions and won't make delivery any faster.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

Thank you for remembering me...   :unsure:    However, I wuz hoping that CM2 would catch up with CM1 and provide 8Km x 4Km maps like wot CM1 had at the start of the 21st century.

Can you name even one CM1 scenario that size? Even close?

The largest possible QB map in CM1 was just under 9 km² and I doubt there were more than a handful of scenarios larger than that ever made. There are CM2 scenarios larger than that. I'm playing one right now. 

Just some mixed thoughts. 1. Someone mentioned a Chuchill AVRE  bridgelayer. A long time ago I suggested a Valentine bridgelayer, the British had one. At least they did in

Panzer Leader (Another old Avalon Hill board game). Just a hunch on my part but I think BFC would prefer to continue to make better versions of the game CM3x, 5.0 etc.

as opposed to expanding to more theaters and timeframes. After all they are BATTLEFRONT not FRONTS :D right? Anyway, "I think we can leave strategy to those with egg on their hats".

53 minutes ago, J Bennett said:

A long time ago I suggested a Valentine bridgelayer, the British had one.

That's right. Wiki has this to say about it:

"An armoured bridgelaying vehicle; a turretless Mk II fitted with 10 m (34 ft) long by 2.90 m (9 ft 6 in) wide Class 30 (capable of bearing 30 long tons (34 short tons)) scissors bridge. Several dozen were produced, some of them supplied to the USSR. Used in action in Italy, Burma and North-west Europe."

Michael

Valentine engineer vehicles were more common in the far-east IIRC, in NWE the Churchill did most of the grunt-work:

Churchill-AVRE-with-Small-Box-Girder-Bri

bridgelayer2.jpg

ARk+Mk+1.jpg

The last one is the Churchill Ark, the whole tank is a bridge, it was designed to overcome sea walls after the fiasco (sort of) at Dieppe.....IIRC one was recently dug up during road repairs in France or possibly Holland, it had been holding the road up for seventy years!  :o

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On May 30, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

IIRC one was recently dug up during road repairs in France or possibly Holland, it had been holding the road up for seventy years!

It was in Normandy. There was an article about it in After the Battle 15 or 20 years ago, as I recall.

Michael

On May 30, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Valentine engineer vehicles were more common in the far-east IIRC, in NWE the Churchill did most of the grunt-work:

IDK, that may be so, but I recall reading a long time ago that Valentine Scissors Bridges were used in the Netherlands, I think during the battle for Bergen op Zoom.

Michael

On 05/30/2017 at 8:05 PM, Thewood1 said:

The problem is, even those discussions ended up not really being very accurate.  Its been years since BFC hit anything close to a timeline.  I think they either have to go very detailed or stick with the "not saying much" approach.  Either start a developer's blog with detailed progress reports or close down tighter than it is now.  

One way to solve this is to deliver faster.  But not sure that is feasible, with the second programmer now gone.  When do we think we will see a end of war west front, at least one module in CMBS, late war Russian front, early war Russian front, the rebuild of CMSF?  We might be talking five years to get through even half that.  That would make the game engine 15-years old.  I would think a new engine would then be needed by then and that would set everything back.

So the answer is just keep plodding along with few solid commitments.  Getting more detailed on release commitments will not stop the questions and won't make delivery any faster.

When did their second programmer leave? I missed this completely. Do you happen to still remember where this was announced?

2 hours ago, stikkypixie said:

When did their second programmer leave?

Last autumn maybe? Or around Yuletime? It wasn't so much announced as leaked out quietly. I don't recall any details as to why he left. I for one greatly miss him. He seemed like a really good dude and a good programmer.

Michael

2 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Last autumn maybe? Or around Yuletime? It wasn't so much announced as leaked out quietly. I don't recall any details as to why he left. I for one greatly miss him. He seemed like a really good dude and a good programmer.

Michael

From what I read he started a new job at a large non-gamedev company

On 06/01/2017 at 8:20 PM, Michael Emrys said:

Michael

Thanks for the answer. Wishing him all the best in his new job!