CMSF Demo crashing

Hello,

Stumbled onto this fine game through a YT channel i frequent and i thought i give it a go.
While i do enjoy the game it crashes on me frequently and i do not know how to fix it.
Before taking the next step i would like to know what can be done to remedy this?

PC Specs:

HisEvilness PC Specs
Motherboard ASUS Prime B350-Plus
Processor Ryzen 5 1600
Memory (part number) CMK16GX4M2B300C15W
Graphics Card #1 GTX 960 4GB
Monitor ProLite E2474HDS
Storage #1 OZC Agility 3
Storage #2 WD Blue
CPU Cooler Cooler Master 212 EVO
Case Antec Dark Fleet 30
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Headset Turtle Beach Px24
OS Win 10 Pro 64
Network Router ASUS RT-N18U

my suggestion is to try one of the other version demos first.  CMSF is a really old family, not updated recently and the demo probably hasn't been touched in years prior. (I play the full game regularly).  Here is the link to the black sea demo - see if you can run that first before fighting this too hard.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=340&Itemid=584

Hello, i normally start if there is a series at the first one and work my way up the series.
If for some reason the game handles poorly i can run a virtual box to mimic older version of windows and run it that way.

Gonna download the game as you advised but i would like to start on the earlier version, as you can see i run a overclocked PC.
While normally i would like stunning graphics for a RTS game with good mechanics i can do without.

well there really isn't any sequence when in comes to CM.  CMSF being the oldest and not updated will also make you learn things that you will need to adjust playing other titles.  There is supposed to be a plan to upgrade or r-release with current engine but no prospective timeline.

Given that it is still one of my favorites.

If you're running the CPU overclocked, you may want to 'step it back' to stock clock speeds and see if that has any effect on the frequency of crashing. The CM series is single-threaded, so the game itself won't benefit from the 6 cores of the Ryzen 5 1600 (though the multiple cores should have nothing to do with the crashing that you're experiencing).

The CM series uses OpenGL as its graphics API, rather than DirectX which is much more common. I'm not aware of any current driver bugs with the Nvidia drivers, but it is possible that OpenGL routines may be more susceptible to overclocking issues. If you are overclocking your GPU (core or memory), you may want to bring it back to stock and see if that makes any difference.

Try to shut down and apps and utilities that may be running in the background. If necessary, temporarily disable your security software and/or add exceptions within it. Usually security software will prevent programs from initially running, rather than interfere later on.

I don't see much software for the TurtleBeach headphones you are running. If you're running some sort of 3rd party audio software you may want to temporarily disable that too.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

9 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

If you're running the CPU overclocked, you may want to 'step it back' to stock clock speeds and see if that has any effect on the frequency of crashing. The CM series is single-threaded, so the game itself won't benefit from the 6 cores of the Ryzen 5 1600 (though the multiple cores should have nothing to do with the crashing that you're experiencing).

The CM series uses OpenGL as its graphics API, rather than DirectX which is much more common. I'm not aware of any current driver bugs with the Nvidia drivers, but it is possible that OpenGL routines may be more susceptible to overclocking issues. If you are overclocking your GPU (core or memory), you may want to bring it back to stock and see if that makes any difference.

Try to shut down and apps and utilities that may be running in the background. If necessary, temporarily disable your security software and/or add exceptions within it. Usually security software will prevent programs from initially running, rather than interfere later on.

I don't see much software for the TurtleBeach headphones you are running. If you're running some sort of 3rd party audio software you may want to temporarily disable that too.

I've made sure the OC is stable, running burn in tests on that OC and CPU/GPU and RAM.
And most games are single core still you would be surprised, if a game does not utilize the resource like this one it would not top out CPU/GPU or RAM.
As i am playing i have use monitor software since the first obvious culprit would be a unstable OC that is not the case.

Norton recognizes both demo's as well so writes exception rules are in place, audio wise i use the chip on the motherboard.
The only thing i can come up with as it stands it some Ryzen driver issue since it is a new CPU, BIOS updates for stability are still being worked on.

I tested the CMSF 1.30 Demo with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (v. 1703) just to see if there were OS issues or something else going on. I was able to load it and played one scenario without issues (i5-2500k, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770, Asrock Z68 m/b, Avast free A/V, Nvidia 376.33 driver or something like that from Dec. 2016 - it may have been offered through Microsoft with Windows 10 and updates).

With the Ryzens and the AMD chipsets I know that there are issues with the memory timing and other details mostly related to memory that may be addressed with BIOS updates. I'm not sure what sort of issues there may be with the CPU drivers for Windows 10 and the Ryzens. A recent update to the drivers (17.10 chipset drivers) tries to push the CPU-based power management over the Windows-based one. In fact, if you haven't already done so, you may want to mess around with the power management settings and go for a 'high-performance' setting if it is available and see if that makes a difference.