Should MBT's be faster?

I would not expect tanks to travel at full speed on the battlefield. If you want them to travel at speed you need to issue the appropriate orders. In reality there are gong to be constraints such as fuel consumption (what happens if you drive your ca at maximum speed all the time? :-) ) and tactical concerns (if you move at full speed you won't be using the ground very effectively and accurate shooing becomes much better.

Usually I move my tanks at "Normal" speed.and "Slow" when I want to fire accurately on the move. "Fast" and "Quick" movement is probably best used when you wan to cover a short distance quickly

Artkin,

The T-90AM is much faster than the Abrams. In Red vs Red, it was great for run and gun at either Quick or Fast, naturally with other tanks in overwatch. You really appreciate the speed and power of armor when you've got a bunch of them boring in on the enemy. They close range in great bounds, slashing into enemy positions, Unfortunately, they don't have infantry, which can make for potentially fatal excitement. I lost several to infantry right when I thought a VL was mine.

Regards,

John Kettler

1 hour ago, John Kettler said:

Artkin,

The T-90AM is much faster than the Abrams. In Red vs Red, it was great for run and gun at either Quick or Fast, naturally with other tanks in overwatch. You really appreciate the speed and power of armor when you've got a bunch of them boring in on the enemy. They close range in great bounds, slashing into enemy positions, Unfortunately, they don't have infantry, which can make for potentially fatal excitement. I lost several to infantry right when I thought a VL was mine.

Regards,

John Kettler

You would not normally run your tank at sustained full speed though - for the same reson you would not do this with your car! :-)

LUCASWILLEN05,

Absolutely true, but sometimes, you just have to do things like that, especially if an opportunity presents itself and you're already under time pressure. There was also the matter of a lack of cover, generating a need for high speed dashes to such as there was. Rest assured that in the same game, in very close terrain I did the tank equivalent a bunch of times of walking on tippy toes as I stalked my prey while trying not to get eaten! Still, it's absolutely exhilarating to charge into battle. Would imagine it's a total rush, at least on good ground, to do it for real and in force.

Regards,

John Kettler  

2 hours ago, John Kettler said:

LUCASWILLEN05,

Absolutely true, but sometimes, you just have to do things like that, especially if an opportunity presents itself and you're already under time pressure. There was also the matter of a lack of cover, generating a need for high speed dashes to such as there was. Rest assured that in the same game, in very close terrain I did the tank equivalent a bunch of times of walking on tippy toes as I stalked my prey while trying not to get eaten! Still, it's absolutely exhilarating to charge into battle. Would imagine it's a total rush, at least on good ground, to do it for real and in force.

Regards,

John Kettler  

Short periods of high speed are, as you say, another matter. You might have to get across that open ground rapidly. We already have the fast and quick orders to do this  and tanks do move fast enough when you use these orders. I do not think we need any changes there :-)

LUCASWILLEN05,

As I noted elsewhere, I thought the Abrams in the game was too slow (not even Fast impressed me), but one of the guys provided video showing exactly that relatively slow speed. There was another which showed one in speedier mode but on a paved road. In the QB I referenced, though, my T-90 AMs weren't on the road, but going cross country, yet there were still much faster than the Abrams. For me, it's a dramatically different armored warfare experience operating the T-90AM after first getting familiar with the Abrams.

Regards,

John Kettler

I always imagined, or felt the game as a whole operated at a factor 75% to realtime for all vehicles, if that makes any sense. I would rather have that actually, than 100% real time since there is much to process anyways. Maybe I'm off on that, just my perception.