Digitally colorized top female GPW Russian sniper pics

On 2017-04-28 at 3:39 PM, StieliAlpha said:

Don't know, if I shall envy you, or pitty you for a hard childhood. ?

Great pic's, indeed. Some, or a collage of them, would make nice RT splash screens.

Like this perhaps?

Skrmklipp_zpsrsozxaxs.jpg

Mock up, not the finished product. Yet...

4 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Yes, something like this was my idea. 

I wondered, if I should ask you directly, but then thought you would pick it up any way. ?

You know me better than I know myself :P

Just to prove your point I'm going to do a full version sometime soon.

Also, I'm on the lookout for a great photo for FI so if anyone has suggestions there might be a menu screen for that as well.

Edited by rocketman

Regarding the female sniper Lyudmila Pavlichenko. I always keep myself a little reserved for the high claims that these sniper claimed. This applies to all sides of the war. Lyudmila has been given credit for 309 kills including 36 sniper in less than six months. I ask myself how to confirm that these claims are actually correct. These figures were published during the war, long before the possibility of comparison with German / Romanian data was available. Theoretically there is a chance that after an attack you can took in the terrain where the shootings took place and match the damage with the bullet type, etc. But in defense, like Odessa and Sevastopol, these chances are non-existent. Has a witness been required for each killing shot? How do you know that the 36 were "sniper"? But using these numbers is not strange in itself, its propaganda value must have meant a lot. After the huge defeat in 1941 and 1942, the Soviet Union was in great need of heroines whose accomplishments could inspire other Soviet citizen to volunteer to attend the army.

High claims apply not only to snipers. These are found in several other branches of the armed forces, of which shot down airplanes and destroyed tanks are perhaps the most discussed. Michael Wittmann, Erich Hartmann, Ivan Kozhedub and others have over the past decades all been under review and cross-referenced with the opposition side's data, where it is sometimes seen that there is a rather strong difference between claims and confirmed numbers.

28 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

Regarding the female sniper Lyudmila Pavlichenko. I always keep myself a little reserved for the high claims that these sniper claimed. This applies to all sides of the war. Lyudmila has been given credit for 309 kills including 36 sniper in less than six months. I ask myself how to confirm that these claims are actually correct. These figures were published during the war, long before the possibility of comparison with German / Romanian data was available. Theoretically there is a chance that after an attack you can took in the terrain where the shootings took place and match the damage with the bullet type, etc. But in defense, like Odessa and Sevastopol, these chances are non-existent. Has a witness been required for each killing shot? How do you know that the 36 were "sniper"? But using these numbers is not strange in itself, its propaganda value must have meant a lot. After the huge defeat in 1941 and 1942, the Soviet Union was in great need of heroines whose accomplishments could inspire other Soviet citizen to volunteer to attend the army.

High claims apply not only to snipers. These are found in several other branches of the armed forces, of which shot down airplanes and destroyed tanks are perhaps the most discussed. Michael Wittmann, Erich Hartmann, Ivan Kozhedub and others have over the past decades all been under review and cross-referenced with the opposition side's data, where it is sometimes seen that there is a rather strong difference between claims and confirmed numbers.

You are probably right. Considering what a little propaganda can do nowadays, why should it have been differently back then?

Refereing to an ongoing sniper discussion in the "General Discussion" forum: I never liked "Enemy at the gates", because I never could believe in this sniper duel.

On 1.5.2017 at 3:54 PM, rocketman said:

You know me better than I know myself :P

Just to prove your point I'm going to do a full version sometime soon.

Also, I'm on the lookout for a great photo for FI so if anyone has suggestions there might be a menu screen for that as well.

And he did it perfectly, says the proud first downloader.

Thanks again!