CMA Unofficial Screenshot Thread

11 hours ago, Erwin said:

My monitor shows great images for daytime, but I cannot see any details in those very dark night pics.  

night pics are pics of non modded game. So there are basically - no details to see. 

But one cool thing to see is this one: 

vvIi9pR.png

So the story behind this screenshot is this - tribal militia mg team was on a second floor and soviet vdv squad was engaging it. Then for 1 or 2 turns that MG team survivor decided to run away but when he walked out one of vdv squad members shot him with a GP lol. It was so funny - he was like walking out and then bang - no bullets no nothing - just a single nade lol 

• 3 weeks later...

A couple more postcards from 'The Valley':

QntNrhp.jpg

Not a fortress, honest!  ;)

pDSRbvw.jpg

Peace be upon them.  :ph34r:

Very close to finished now, just the area south of the highway and a few assorted bald patches to fill in (see foreground in first picture).....Then about a million more flavour objects to add.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

If only this gem could've gotten the 4.0 treatment! I really hate to see it left in the dust. But sadly I'll probably never play it again. CMA, the red-headed step child of the Combat Mission family, always a bridesmaid...

Mord.

For players who are CMA fans there is no other option so could still have a long life (as has CM1).   You can't match the experience of playing with 1980s era gear and tech with any other title.

Playing CMA is a great antidote when one gets burned out on the other modern titles.

Edited by Erwin

52 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'll miss you guys, I guess.  :unsure:

It is what it is. Just keep making scenarios for CMA, if that's what you dig doing, there are plenty of people who will appreciate it. I appreciate the fact you're keeping the old girl alive. I just can't deal with the sub-par game engine after all these years of upgrading. As well as the textures and models. CMA is the CMBO of the new engine, that's all. It had it's time for me but is gone. I was just making a statement (in a fit of nostalgia) earlier about wishing it could be dragged into the present like SF2, not belittling your efforts. More power to you.

LOL. Not like we all won't be running our pieholes about SF2 and BS etc.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

7 minutes ago, Mord said:

I was just making a statement (in a fit of nostalgia) earlier about wishing it could be dragged into the present like SF2, not belittling your efforts. More power to you.

No worries fella, quirky games are me.....I'm exactly the same with my kits; I could build the Hasegawa or Tamiya stuff that's already in my stash, straight out of the box, no fuss, no hassle.  But no, I will always go for the Italeri, Airfix or other elderly option, then drive myself mental trying to bring it up to snuff.  ;)

On the subject of which.....I have sway-braces to fettle.  :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Erwin said:

You can't match the experience of playing with 1980s era gear and tech with any other title.

This too.....It's much more evenly matched than many of the other titles and these are insurgents we can play without feeling like a ****.  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

No doubt.....If there was a game likely to take the title of 'Squarehead's Favourite' away from CM:A it would be the new title, but I just don't think it will.....Working my way around the quirks of this one is very satisfying, it hits a 'sweet spot'.  ;)

Unlike CM:SF there aren't any big engine issues, the Uncons are well organised with a proper C2 structure and thus they can make an excellent focus for a campaign, unit preservation takes on a whole new level of difficulty when it's the other guys with the helicopter gunships and massed artillery on call (I think this may be why the AI controlled FO/FAC Teams seem a bit myopic compared to their CM:SF bretheren, it's a balancing thing for Blue vs AI scenarios.  It can easily be overcome with a few AI orders if you really do want the Blue player to suffer and the Hind gunship strikes in particular seem much more precise than the CM:SF equivalent).

Need to get this map finished so I can write a few things on it, see if I can do something to change your mind on the future of CM:A.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 2 weeks later...

And now, for some kind of comic relief, here it is. After the sudden death of my old HD I've at the moment only CMA on the new one so I've decided to play all the campaigns I have and then the standalone missions. During the second stock campaign I didn't fully realized that one of my core units had had a constant flow of losses that ended with what you can see in pic 1. At the beginning of this scenario I was supposed having an infantry platoon and some support.

CMA1.thumb.jpg.5f1542cf90ccf03c66ac50bded0c28b3.jpg

And then, 15 minuts later, with the arrive of substantial reinforcements...2082562175_CMAfghanistan2.jpg.78edc97b15f01c4eafbd8fb518fda672.jpg

Luckily, I managed to complete the mission with only a minor defeat.😊

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Four views of the valley, the map itself is within spitting distance of finished.....Just one more foliage band along the river, an orchard, some fields near the big compound and some (lots) more flavour objects to go:

Ujwigvt.jpg

GE7uFM3.jpg

S7twdcy.jpg

PPf8srs.jpg

PS - Aaaaarrrrggghh!  Just spotted a mistake on the big compound.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I really want to get it finished as it's the second Master Map for 'Abdul Gul's War' (decided I can live with my modified Herat city map, I could modify it more, but it's not too bad as it stands and you don't see it all at once anyway).  ;)

Abdul Gul's country retreat (right foreground):

HG9gAqF.jpg

It's a bit of a fortress as you can see, it's also the hardest compound to get to on the map, you have to go through 'Jihad Central' down there in the valley to the left to get to it by road.  It also controls access to the mines further along the ridge, so it will undoubtedly become the focus of the Communists attentions before too long.  :unsure:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead