Best Computer for CM?

1 minute ago, kraze said:

For CM you need the best single-core performance. Sadly.

Get i5 that ends with K (save money, don't get i7 which is exactly the same thing + hyperthreading which doesn't help with gaming), get good cooling, overclock i5 (recent ones can go up to 5 GHz per core if you are lucky) and enjoy.

actually i think i need HT, maybe not for CM. But i think i still go with 7700K.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I switched to SSD a year, definitely noticed 30-60% shortening of load times, depending on map size/complexity (smaller maps could hit 60% decrease). 

I've a 32GB 1800 ram, but not a great GFX card, NV 750 TI or something. It's fine.

Ram and SSD gave the best improvement, I've found.

But the bottleneck is the game engine itself. You can put a light weight tires, titanium frame, go fasta stripes on a go-kart bit it's still just a go-kart's put-put motor...

42 minutes ago, kinophile said:

I switched to SSD a year, definitely noticed 30-60% shortening of load times, depending on map size/complexity (smaller maps could hit 60% decrease). 

I've a 32GB 1800 ram, but not a great GFX card, NV 750 TI or something. It's fine.

Ram and SSD gave the best improvement, I've found.

But the bottleneck is the game engine itself. You can put a light weight tires, titanium frame, go fasta stripes on a go-kart bit it's still just a go-kart's put-put motor...

More info, please. What was the RAM you changed from, and to what? What is the name ov your SSD

I upgraded to an Intel I7 6700K, 16 gigs of RAM, SSD drives and Nvidia GTX 970. Load times increased dramatically and no problem with Combat Mission or other intense sims like Flight Sim with Orbix terrain, DCS world or Atilla Total War cranked up to max settings.

Throw enough money and resources at the problem and you'll usually be happy.

How much $$$ do you have to spend?

1 hour ago, db_zero said:

I upgraded to an Intel I7 6700K, 16 gigs of RAM, SSD drives and Nvidia GTX 970. Load times increased dramatically and no problem with Combat Mission or other intense sims like Flight Sim with Orbix terrain, DCS world or Atilla Total War cranked up to max settings.

Throw enough money and resources at the problem and you'll usually be happy.

How much $$$ do you have to spend?

We really do not have a budget for this. But togetter with my wife, we decided to unlock arund 2500-3000$ of our savings for this, but the cheaper the better.

19 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

We really do not have a budget for this. But togetter with my wife, we decided to unlock arund 2500-3000$ of our savings for this, but the cheaper the better.

$2-3k is going to get you a lot of computer. I have an i7 3820 with 28gb of RAM and an Nvidia GT 640 and it handles CM nicely. Having said that I just played CMFI Hot Mustard and the processing WEGO times near the end were an excruciating 5 minutes due to so many troops on each side. They are definitely going to have to do some work on multi-processor and GPU support if they want the game to progress and compete as technology advances.

For now get the best processor you can buy, while focusing on RAM, GPU and SSD with the balance of your budget - these 3 will make the biggest difference to CM in its current state.

Edited by nightops

32 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

That's more than enough. You can get a nice system with disco lights if u so desire.

Heck you may even be able to get both a nice desktop system and decent laptop for $3000

3 hours ago, Johnny Canuck said:

For single threaded CPU performance comparison, I look here:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

As cool as the 7700K is, my 4770K runs at 87% of its' speed. Am happy with that, along with 32G of RAM and an NVidia 1070 (replaced an AMD 7870 late last year).

My current cpu, is with 1322p at around 50% of the 7700k.

2-3K..wow. Loads and loads. 2K will get a great PC, easily capable of running CM as smooth as it'll let you run it. 

Samsung evo 850 SSD. Rock solid. 

1800mhz corsair DDR3 ram. I actually have 64Gb. (I edit 4K footage sometimes... Even 64GB needs proxies, but I can render cuts easily enough with 64}. 

My Mobo is getting long in the snaggle tooth, but it's totally fine for the next 3 years. 

Adding 32 Ram gave me smoother in-game flow and the SSD castrated the load times nicely. 

Edited by kinophile

3 hours ago, kinophile said:

2-3K..wow. Loads and loads. 2K will get a great PC, easily capable of running CM as smooth as it'll let you run it. 

Samsung evo 850 SSD. Rock solid. 

1800mhz corsair DDR3 ram. I actually have 64Gb. (I edit 4K footage sometimes... Even 64GB needs proxies, but I can render cuts easily enough with 64}. 

My Mobo is getting long in the snaggle tooth, but it's totally fine for the next 3 years. 

Adding 32 Ram gave me smoother in-game flow and the SSD castrated the load times nicely. 

Since it will be ddr4, i will go for 3200mhz cl16. Any faster than that, and it start to be expensive fast. And to start with, only 16Gb to hold the prize down,  i can add 16Gb more later on. And the system disc, and want to have 1TB of MLC, not TLC memory. For longer life. Since it probably will serve as the system disc for 5-7 years. I probably skipp a second SSD to put games on, that i can buy att a later time. I move over one, or two HDDs from the old one.

Mobo will be Asus Strix 270E, soundcard Asus Rog xonar phoebus, Asus blue-ray rewriter, corsair RM850x psu, cpu cooling corsair H105, case i think will be CM storm stryker not certain yet. System disk If an M2 MLC disc, Hyper X predator or Samsung 960 pro 512GB-1TB But they are quite expensive, so maybe a regular SSD MLC Samsung 850 pro 1TB. GPU Since AMD VEGA is coming in 1-2 months time. I think i must check that one out first, it will be a 1060 6GB or a 1070 If VEGA dont performe or is to expensive. And probably a 7700K, since the entire system will be much more expensive If I go for the HEDT 6 or 8 core cpus.

Well here am i, so far.

I just purchased this Dell and it will play anything I have tried in CMBS, CMRT, which is as far as I have gotten-- specs are as follows

i7-6700 cpu,3.40-3.41--16 gig mem--64 bit win 10   Nvidia GTX-745  1.8 Tera Byte--all I remember

it was a dell refurb -- my younger brother found it --he is the family C puter  guy -- it looks good and plays very well

fast and quiet --

On 14.04.2017 at 8:39 PM, Armorgunner said:

My current cpu, is with 1322p at around 50% of the 7700k.

Then you should notice a difference

At least going from a Phenom II to Haswell i7 netted me about 50% FPS increase with everything on max in CMBS

Same goes for Athlon XP to Phenom II during CMSF era. The game really loves itself all the CPU power it can get.

Once again do overclock your 7700k (with a good cooling system). It's a guaranteed ~25% free performance increase for all CPU as you should be able to achieve 4.7-4.8 GHz fairly easily and can push for more if lucky.

Edited by kraze

Thanks for your info. I think for the lifetime of the cpu, i dont intend to overclock to the limit. Maybe just for benching, and after that i think i keep it at stock, or at a low OC level. My plan is to go for the Corsair H105 cooler. This computer will be the base for what i intend to use for the coming 5-7 years or so. 

1 minute ago, Artkin said:

Intel chips last a long time... i always keep mine at a ghz or so higher than stock

At max OC they will not last as long as on stock. And the watercooling is just to bring the high temps down fast. A very good aircooler can have the same OC heavy load temps as a H105. But it takes 10 min to go down to regular idle temps, instead of 45 seconds with a H105. Thats why i want the watercooling, not to maximize OC.

A few people I know run sandy bridge (that's 2nd gen) i5/i7 at 4.4 GHz or more since the moment they bought them when they were new. Which is about 8 years now.

Intel CPUs are sturdy and buying a K intel and not OC'ing it will be a large waste of its potential. It's like buying a Lamborghini and driving it only on busy city roads within speed limits.

Keep in mind that you can do a ~1 GHz OC of CPU by using multiplier only - this doesn't increase voltage, only temperature (and not by much, single digit numbers) - meaning that with a good cooling it doesn't hurt lifespan at all. Gamers love K intels for a reason. Especially in the land of ever poorly optimized niche "serious" gaming.

Edited by kraze

On 4/14/2017 at 5:22 PM, Erwin said:

Imo you can't beat molecular computers.

Erwin,

I know about photonic computing, quantum computing, even DNA computing, but what is it you're talking about? Was it supposed to mean "modular" (for purposes of this discussion, individual replaceable components in a housing) instead of what you wrote? Absolutely don't understand what you're trying to say.

Regards,

John Kettler

3 hours ago, kraze said:

A few people I know run sandy bridge (that's 2nd gen) i5/i7 at 4.4 GHz or more since the moment they bought them when they were new. Which is about 8 years now.

Intel CPUs are sturdy and buying a K intel and not OC'ing it will be a large waste of its potential. It's like buying a Lamborghini and driving it only on busy city roads within speed limits.

Keep in mind that you can do a ~1 GHz OC of CPU by using multiplier only - this doesn't increase voltage, only temperature (and not by much, single digit numbers) - meaning that with a good cooling it doesn't hurt lifespan at all. Gamers love K intels for a reason. Especially in the land of ever poorly optimized niche "serious" gaming.

That is not entirely correct. A 7700k might need 1.285V att 4,9Ghz, and as much as 1.320V att 5Ghz. And that is with only multipple changed to 49 or 50 times /100Mhz, And heat will come with that. Of Course it will be the usual chip lottery, so what works for you, May not work for me. I dont doubt that there still is a lot of highly OC'd Sandy bridges out there. But i dont like to take any risks any more, to old for that. So i keep an eventual OC very low.