Combing the Green Zone- base scenario just played for first time.

Didnt do well, took too many casualties but after a slow start managed to drive forward and clear the ground by reaching all the phase lines so got a draw. Plenty of arty to call on but no-one good enough really to call it in, best spotter to use is the Company HQ which has a light red cross for calling arty so not good and fire missions were taking 11 mins to start and so in the end finished with still plenty of arty to call on.

How have you all done in this scenario? i'll most likely play through it again knowing some mistakes i made.

The first time I played this one I messed it up royally by convincing myself the final Phase Line was in fact an Exit Zone, so I rushed through.....It's since become one of my favourite missions, and it's quite replayable.

The proper mission (based on a real action) is to sweep through the valley obliterating Mujahideen as you go using the firepower of the BMPs & tanks to overcome local strongpoints.  The long artillery call times are a hassle so consider pre-plotting them to either annihilate local strongpoints that you don't want to take on in a direct fight, or to block likely avenues of attack/escape with long duration linear-barrages.  IIRC the last time I played I used one destruction strike and two linear barrages, there was enough ammo left after the first destruction strike for a second on the final settlement area.  My best result is a Tactical Victory IIRC.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

The main reason i took so many casualties was i had the infantry up front to check for enemy firing points and was worried about RPG's. This combined with a lack of suppressive fire to enable infantry to move and flank was what cost me but still didnt lose any BMP's or tanks. Bit rusty havent played for a while.

How do you pre-plot fire missions? i thought you can only do this with target ref points which i dont have (and havent seen since CM1 i dont think)

I cant see any TRF's on the map how do you make them appear? i'm going to start on the scenario you sent me last night now. One thing that stands out right away is that the unit icons for the high value civilian assets are the same as those for the infantry squads which makes it difficult to be able to find them at a glance in amongst your combatants which can delay giving them orders when trying to find them and at a crucial time like when you need to get them out of a dangerous location quickly (i play in real time, though i do pause the game frequently).

It would be helpful if those civilians could have different coloured icons, that would be massively helpful but can understand if its not possible due to the games limitations for scenario designing. I have yet to even attempt to create a scenario myself yet, mainly due to not being too fanatical about the game and i tend to have phases where i play CM a lot then go a month or longer without playing it at all.

Edited by cns180784

There are no TRPs in the game, but in the setup turn, before you click go, you can plot pre-planned artillery barrages.  When you plot in this initial pre-battle phase, line of sight is not required.  You can choose settings for the number of tubes firing, the intensity and duration of the barrage, and you can also choose to delay the arrival of the barrage.

Sadly there's nothing I can do about the unit icons at all.

I've tested my battle real-time so it is doable, but it really can get pretty hectic at times.....Your policy of playing with many pauses is definitely the right one!  B) 

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

There are no TRPs in the game, but in the setup turn, before you click go, you can plot pre-planned artillery barrages.  When you plot in this initial pre-battle phase, line of sight is not required.  You can choose settings for the number of tubes firing, the intensity and duration of the barrage, and you can also choose to delay the arrival of the barrage.

Sadly there's nothing I can do about the unit icons at all.

I've tested my battle real-time so it is doable, but it really can get pretty hectic at times.....Your policy of playing with many pauses is definitely the right one!  B) 

I see what you mean now just tried it out in Combing The Green Zone, was able to plot fire missions anywhere on the map and without specifying a delay they arrive pretty much straight away. But anyway...an update on your scenario "Action and Reaction"

Started on this last night i took a while just in the setup phase with repositioning some units and giving first orders. After starting i played until there was 2 hrs 14 mins left (then saved and exited the game) and so far my initial forces- those being the Tribal and Sarandoy militia, and the DRA Platoon in the BTR's as well as the Spetznaz in the Consular buildings are holding out ok, however the Sarandoy Platoon defending the TV station with the TV crew are looking like they could be overrun soon. Their Platoon HQ lost their leader and one Squad is down to two men who are both slightly wounded. The Su-17s became available and i decided to have them take out two enemy AT teams spotted on the Hills to the South East, along with other rebels arriving to attack the City from there. So far one of the Fitters has taken out a team with a Carl Gustav ATM and another is about to attack the other team with an SPG-9. I thought these should be priorities as they can threaten my Air Assault Company (Relief Force) arriving from the South in BMD's. We have yet to spot their mortar teams but they should be on one of those hills to the South. However theres' another smaller hill to the SE, with hills also in the E and NE so they could be anywhere, but in all honesty the barrage they fired with right at the start caused only 1 or 2 casualties mainly due to none of my men being exposed on rooftops or out on the streets.

My only major concerns at the moment are the militia in danger of being overrun in the TV station (which would result in the TV crews being executed no doubt) and the Spetznaz teams being overrun in the Consular buildings from rebel reinforcements arriving from the South but then i received reinforcements from the North with a DRA Platoon so straight away i wanted them to head South towards them down the road at fast speed and they did until there was a huge blast which took out two of three BTR's. Obviously there was an IED or mine setup there by the rebels and i never expected it so thats a kick in the teeth and now of that DRA Platoon only the one BTR with the Platoon HQ and 3rd Squad survived, however 4 men of 1st Squad survived but they are all panicking and are all slightly wounded.

Thats the current situation 16 mins into the scenario with 2hrs and 14 mins left, its gona be one long bloody and large battle (getting lag at times) its all about keeping them at bay from the Governors Palace, Government Buildings and Consular buildings. Might have to concede the TV station and lose the TV crew unless more reinforcements arrive from the North asap.

Ok update two have just paused the game and there is now 1 hour and 55 mins left. TV station has fallen, TV crews got out of there and are hiding in an adjacent building and will remain there till help arrives, however one was killed in the TV station before he could escape. The JTAC and FO Spetznaz teams in the Southern most Consular building have been killed, the sole surviving BTR hit by an RPG and the men it carried, the Platoon HQ have been killed and their 3rd Squad are down to three men but we still hold the Consular buildings. Have successfully repelled attacks on the Governors Palace and Government Buildings but i could not believe my eyes just now. More rebel reinforcements from the NE...with T-55 tanks?? i cant believe it. I guess they did maybe get their hands on tanks abandoned by the Soviets in battles IRL when it occurred but i'd imagine this would have been rare, and would the rebels have been able to properly service and operate them?

Anyway so i have 2 squads of DRA infantry in the government buildings with RPG's, i'm hoping they can hit the T-55's when they inevitably appear. In the meantime we're anxiously waiting for the Relief Force to arrive from the South as well as a DRA company from the East. With the relief force will come two Platoons of T-62's so they can deal with their tanks if our RPG's dont. Cant wait for this heavy arty to arrive too but the problem is i need that asap to hit them whilst they're out in the open, soon they'll all be in buildings having said that we do have 130mm guns. Theres' the Hinds too...come on reinforcements! really enjoying this scenario...so much tension.

Sounds like your BTR discovered the chemistry professor's handiwork!  Losses amongst the DRA Mech, Sarandoy and even the Relief force are trivial in this scenario (in the full version the Relief Force would be part of your Core, so wasting them would be unwise).....Just protect the high-value civilians and try to keep the Mujahideen out of the Consulate & the Government buildings.  Keeping at least one Forward Observer or Air Controller team intact with both team members alive is pretty critical here, those guys can call in the guns, fighters & gunships in fast (one of the Sukhois is Elite +2, the other three are Veteran +1, they might be wearing Afghan markings, but they sure ain't Afghan pilots).  B)

The DRA unit from the East has arrived, those are the bad guys with the tanks.....The scenario was originally very loosely based on the 1979 Herat uprising in which a big chunk of a DRA division defected, hence the tanks.  The Mujahideen mortars are not on map (not possible in CMx2 Engine), the Fitters have already dealt with them and there should be no more mortar fire, if there is any please make a save and let me know. 

Remember if the high-value civilians don't actually bump into the Afghans they won't shoot at them, many of the city's inhabitants would be running around as all hell breaks loose around them and they can hide themselves in the chaos (but don't get too close to the Blue units or they're gone).  If you are already seeing the bad tanks, your reinforcements are VERY imminent.  I've tried to time events in this scenario (hence the title), once the Hinds turn up the boot should be well & truly on the other foot.....You will be hunting them.  ;)

Hope you are having fun with it.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead