First of all I found this interesting video channel on YouTube about the actual Syrian conflict:

And I'm asking myself when we will be the happy owners of a Shock Force II game? And maybe even with an improved game engine that includes explosions, fire, better damage models and a completely destroyable environment like in the "Men of War" series.  My (positively meant and constructive) criticism about the Combat Mission series is that it is a menat to be a WAR game,but the aspect of chaos and destruction is very much neglected. It is nearly only about tactical movement and physical accuracy (which is brilliant).  The "Men of War" series for example is way poorer in many ways than "Combat Mission" but it was sold in large numbers whereas our beloved "CM " is still called a niche product....  Why that? The answer could be that it is a wargame without the accompanying effects of a war. There is nearly no smoke, no fire, no things flying in the air, tanks can not break through walls or roll over men and AT guns... nothing like that. All is pretty accurate and clean on the virtual battlefield in CM.

Most wargamers are more interested in standing in the boots of historical commanders than in watching stuff and troops blow up messily. Plenty of shooters cater to the latter.

That said, I've long felt the building cover and damage model needs a workover, and some more ambient smoke and haze (a more persistent version of the large explosion effects already in game) would be immersive. 

15 hours ago, Shorker said:

First of all I found this interesting video channel on YouTube about the actual Syrian conflict:

And I'm asking myself when we will be the happy owners of a Shock Force II game? And maybe even with an improved game engine that includes explosions, fire, better damage models and a completely destroyable environment like in the "Men of War" series.  My (positively meant and constructive) criticism about the Combat Mission series is that it is a menat to be a WAR game,but the aspect of chaos and destruction is very much neglected. It is nearly only about tactical movement and physical accuracy (which is brilliant).  The "Men of War" series for example is way poorer in many ways than "Combat Mission" but it was sold in large numbers whereas our beloved "CM " is still called a niche product....  Why that? The answer could be that it is a wargame without the accompanying effects of a war. There is nearly no smoke, no fire, no things flying in the air, tanks can not break through walls or roll over men and AT guns... nothing like that. All is pretty accurate and clean on the virtual battlefield in CM.

MOW appeals to a different market - the wrist twitch action fans who prefer action and are not concerned about how the game reflects reality.  The CM series has always appealed to the more cerebral types who want more of the illusion of reality.

Thank you @MOS:96B2P for the link. I had been searching for "CMSF II" and so I didn't find it. That's good news from Steve though! ;-)

@Erwin and @Sgt.Squarehead , I can't tell if "Men of War" appeals to a different market ... (from my experience all players of CM also know about MoW)

but my point/argument is that allthough MoW is far below the quality of CM (regarding tactics, gameplay deepness etc.), it was sold in

larger numbers and was more popular. (My conclusion is based on the many many "Let's plays" and gaming videos of MoW on YouTube).

I want Battlefront to earn a lot of money (lots and lots and lots of money) so that they can employ more people and make new games and battle packs and improvements faster.

I do accept that some (or many?) CM fans are somewhat undemanding/modest/humble with their pretensions/expectations to graphics (absolutely no offence meant here, I'm not an original English speaker and I say "each to his own") and effects but on the other hand nobody can deny that a little overhaul/workover of the damage models, like @LongLeftFlank said,  would not be in the way of the success and popularity of the Combat Mission series. ;-)   

We should not discuss as if we couldn't have a good CM title without the other (explosions, smoke, fire etc.).

Let's be honest: Explosions, lots of smoke and especially fire BELONG into a computer animated wargame, don't they?

P.S.: Does anybody know how to edit the signature? I can't find a button in my profile.  :-(   Thanks in advance!

Edited by Shorker

On 2/25/2017 at 4:47 PM, Shorker said:
2 hours ago, Shorker said:

<Snip> P.S.: Does anybody know how to edit the signature? I can't find a button in my profile.  :-(   Thanks in advance!  

Go to your profile page.  

Click on your profile name (upper right corner).

In the drop down menu click on Settings.

Click on Signature. 

Actually I had to Google MoW.....I haven't looked elsewhere for platoon-battalion level systems since discovering CM (the originals). 

It took me a while to get into the CMx2+ engines, but now I am of the opinion they are pretty much without peer in terms of realism (if not always balance).  If they get prettier, that's lovely, but I'd rather see the balance issues sorted and the game's scope expanded, long before I'd ever ask for anything to change on the graphics front.

I doubt I am alone in that appraisal TBH.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Erwin said:

IIRC CMA has a slightly different engine being made by a sub-contractor Russian firm - if so, may not be easy to upgrade at the same time as CMSF. 

In addition there would be rights issues - can BFC actually release an updated game without getting the rights back? No idea - also no interest but that could change. Originally I had no interest in CMSF but all this talk and some of the scenario you guys are making makes me pause. I think once it is updated I'll be there.

CM:A is actually a slightly more sophisticated engine than CM:SF, but it also may be slightly buggy.....I've got a series of tests lined up to try to fully explore the situation with the game as it now stands.  It's a great title and possibly the best balanced of all the post WWII games, it's definitely my favourite.  B)

I really do think Battlefront should endeavour to fully integrate this game into the wider post-war CM family, this campaign after all was directly or indirectly the trigger for countless world changing events across the globe.

I'm in the Midlands dude, over a hundred miles away.....You are probably much closer than me (if you are still over here).  ;)

The BBC are reporting five dead,  including the attacker and the PC he stabbed, with another forty injured.  :(

My neighbour's son in law works in Whitehall so no doubt I'll be getting more details in due course.....Thought it might be a case of 'Suicide By Armed Police' at first, but the attacker looks familiar, possibly a YouTube ranter and the security services were allegedly 'aware of him' prior to this event:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39359158

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Only 100 miles???  That's a short walk to the garden lavatory for anyone who's lived in the states for more than a couple of weeks!!  When did Brits get so lazy??   Can't you rent a black cab or somesuch...?   This is why I left the UK...  Too much gratuitous violence. 

^_^

Actually, we been getting a lot of news about it on every channel over here.  Even video of the car mowing down the peds on the bridge.