Weapons: Ukrainian Tanks

John Kettler

• 1 month later...

Ukrainian tank platoon of 14th mech.brigade have arrived to international tank competition Strong Europe Tank Challenge-2017 in Germany. Our team will participate on upgraded tanks T-64BV with added thermal sight TPN-1TPV and SN-4215 GPS navigation system. By rules of challenge all temas have to be standard NATO tank platoon of four tanks and one reserve. This version of T-64BV has been launched to modernisation in this year and ground forces are planing to uprade in this way most of T-64BV. So, these competitions is very good to check tank capabilities in real tasks (unlike pure show in Russian "tank biatlon")

On the photo French tankers with amazing look at T-64BV as if: "Are you REALLY fighting on THAT?!"

30EpoMk5zFk.jpg

Single visible difference between standard T-64BV and upgraded is GPS antena on the turret top

18237878_1492690454086494_22023885666642

Edited by Haiduk

On 5/5/2017 at 4:06 PM, DougPhresh said:

As an aside, target light still doesnt work with the Oplot. If unbuttoned the roof MG turns but the gunner and commander don't fire their weapons and the commander disappears down his hatch.

I can't reproduce this. Do you have a save game file? The commander has to disappear down the hatch in order to man the remote weapon station.

13 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

I can't reproduce this. Do you have a save game file? The commander has to disappear down the hatch in order to man the remote weapon station.

Scenario 2 of the Ukrainian campaign is where I first noticed, although there are the same tanks in scenario 1. 

Tank is ordered unbuttoned and to target light in real-time. Commander disappears down hatch but hatch stays open, weapon info for tank keeps toggling between aiming and firing for both gunner and commander, but no mg rounds fire.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Tank platoon of four upgraded T-84 Oplot (not be confused with BM Oplot) departed for participation in Strong Europe Tank Challenge 2018.

10 T-84 were built in 2001, but MoD didn't pay for it and tanks turned back to Malyshev's tank factory. Sice some time four tanks were sold to USA. One moved to L'viv military academy  and four were stored in the boxes of 92nd brigade. In the end of 2017 remained tanks moved to Malyshev's factory again for repair and modernization. Five tanks already in service of 14th mech.brigade - tankers of this brigade won local Ukrainian tank competitions already three times. Sixth tank still under works. 

What new in T-84 Oplot mod.2018:

- "Nozh" ERA instead Kontakt

- tank commander and gunner have independent thermal sights

- back view camera

- some changes in the transmission, now T-84 can move backward with speed 35 km/h like BM Oplot

- new radio equipment (Harris)

- GPS navigation

- LWR sensors and Varta electronic-optical APS 

What T-84 mod.2018 differs from BM Oplot:

- "Nozh" ERA instead "Duplet"

- other construction of glacis protection

- T-84 hasn't panoramic PNK-6 sight

- FCS simplier 

T-84+Oplot+StrongEuropeTankChallenge+SET

5.jpg

Edited by Haiduk

• 1 year later...

First party of 15 T-72AMT (T-72A upgrade, developed by Kyiv tank plant) directed to army. Next 10 will go to the end of January and 6 in February. Thus, full tank battalion in 31 vehicles will receive T-72AMT.

What new in T-72AMT:

- V-84-1 (840 h.p.) engine instead V-46 (780 h.p.)

- "Nizh" ERA

- 1K13 gunner's sight, which allows to use TLATGM "Kombat"

- upgraded commander's day/night observation device TKN-3UM with 3rd gen.EOP ("tank" type target detection up to 1000 m in half-moon light or up to 550 m in young moon light)

- driver's night vision device TVNE-4BUP (not less 100 m of nigt way visibility)

- remote controlled HMG

- "Aselsan" digital radio

- SN-3003 "Bazalt" GPS-navigator

- slat armor, protecting engine part and optoinaly, protecting rear of the turret

- tracks of T-80

There is an opinion, that IR-projector "Luna" is useles thing, which creates weak zone, not protecting by ERA block 

Modernizovani-T-72-povantazheni-na-zaliz

1315490_original.jpg

Just now, IMHO said:

1. Is it really with slat armor? I got these pics for the batch.

qd2OKey5CPI4ZzkqOqsbPpBINf9lwpGe9Mqqq-d5

7745701_original.jpg

2. Are the flexible screens on the turrets have some protective properties or they're just textile reinforced rubber?

Slat armor, probably is optional and removed for transporting by railroad.

Even If this is reinforced rubber, its can initiate HEAT projectile and give additional 50 sm of "air obstacle" for cumulative "needle".

13 minutes ago, IMHO said:

1. Is it really with slat armor? I got these pics for the batch.

I'd guess this could be fitted on an 'as needed' basis.

13 minutes ago, IMHO said:

2. Are the flexible screens on the turrets have some protective properties or they're just textile reinforced rubber?

The latter, same as the 'petals' on the T-80U:

T-80_tank,_Engineering_Technologies_2010

TBH the T-72AMT looks a solid little upgrade.....It would certainly make a great addition to the CM:BS TOE lineup (let's face it, historical accuracy is well out of the window already).

PS - @Battlefront.com  I wouldn't say no to a few T-80Us & T-80BVMs while you were about it.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

17 hours ago, IMHO said:

1. In terms of penetrators - Ukraine is still using Mangos and predecessors or something else?

2. Has Ukraine set-up an indigenous production of long rods or it uses Soviet stocks?

1. I heard that Mango sometime used by UKR tankers of 1st tank brigade, but usual APFSDS load was Zakolka. Also I heard that we have a lack of APFSDS and even HEAT, so I supose, main stock of Mango stored for "big war" purposes. This ammo was adopted in 1988 only, so I doubt we could have time to receive huge number of its. According to this in CMBS 1.04UKR ammunition was downgraded from Mango and Vant to Zakolka. Mango remained for BM Oplot and BM Bulat

2. No. Single factory, which have technlogies of cemented carbides works is almost bankrupuptsy. Though, they anyway hadn't modern technologies of long rod producing. Static plant Zirka in Shostka, which recently assembled artillery shells and APFSDS too, now almost dead. Also there is TASKO corp., which proposes unmarked "APFSDS for D-81 gun", probably this is 3BM44U1/U2 shells, which developed since 2000th and were based on Polish APFSDS Pronit (used Israeli rod), but there is no any info about such shells were ordered by MoD. The "Konchar" program (long rod APFSDS) was closed in Yanukovich's time because no one factory couldn't master the technology.

Edited by Haiduk

1. @Haiduk, thanks for the very detailed and as always interesting answer. From a quick research it seems Israel and China are the only sources of non-steel long rods in 125mm caliber apart from Russia.
  2. Why do you think Ukraine does not follow the path of drastically upgrading T-64 engines from 5TF to 6TD-x? 6TD production is still alive so it's low risk. Drastic increase in power output would allow significant increase in protection (we put aside balance of the turret and tank as a whole and shock-absorber upgrade). Staying within 5TF family does not give much room to play with. Money issue?

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...