Never seen these beforehand!

Peter Cairns

Jesus!  :o

They're firing that thing into a city?

Seems kinda 'barrel-bomb' to me.  :mellow:

Here's another view, along with a warning from the UN: 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/iraq-launch-operation-western-mosul-isis-1.3990211

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/19/nato-says-civilians-at-extreme-risk-as-west-mosul-offensive-begins

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

They have been firing TOS-1A and whatever is available during city assaults of Tikrit, Fallujah, Mosul. This humvee missile seems like a large crude missile, but abstractly not so different from 155mm incoming for any civilian to be unfortunate enough to be in it's blast radius. Mosul was always going to take a heavy toll on the civilian population. It is winter there now, with temperatures similar or colder than west europe. 

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 6:47 PM, cool breeze said:

Erwin, you are clearly not getting the divided nature of the American populace,  WE are the GOOD guys, WE do GOOD! 

Divided is the wrong word, personally I'd use 'bi-polar', but sadly for all those countries you 'liberate' your sentiments are all too accurate.

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Divided is the wrong word, personally I'd use 'bi-polar', but sadly for all those countries you 'liberate' your sentiments are all too accurate.

Do you want to keep posting here?  If so, stop trolling.  It is against the Forum rules and I've just warned you in another thread as well.

Steve

3 hours ago, Peter Cairns said:

Lethaface,

Is this the TOS-1A, if so they are using it again. Part way down the article there's a Pic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-39061811

Peter.

Indeed it is. Basically it's a thermobaric MLRS, I found a decent video showing the characteristics:

I suppose it's a very effective platform when assaulting urban positions. It is unfortunate that such systems are used on densely populated area's, but what are the alternatives? 

On 2/20/2017 at 0:22 PM, Erwin said:

Am bothered that we are so critical of Syrians firing blindly into populated cities with this sort of ordinance.   Where is the outrage for this?

Well there is a difference barrel bombing with the intent to hit civilians vs barrel bombing with the intent to hit combatants. The bombs themselves don't discriminate, unfortunately. Even if I do think that the Syrian regime is a necessary (evil) tool to transition the country towards a future, it's quite obvious Bashar has been mass murdering civilians with just that intent.

Are the current Iraqi Shiite clique in power any better? I don't know.
To put things in some perspective: the Brits did consciously firebomb Dresden in WWII in order to break the will of the german populace. I think Bashar's motives for barrel bombing certain civilians are similar in nature. 

15 minutes ago, Erwin said:

You have to come visit this exotic suburb of London to appreciate...

I'm hoping your not talking about what I think your talking about. Anyway I've spent plenty of time in London, particularly around bow/mile end. Not sure why you'd want to lay waste to parts of that nice city using a thermobaric MLRS. Makes me wonder what you'd want to do with the neighborhood I live in: Overvecht.