AFVs with cannon & ATGMs using ATGMs better under 4.0?

John Kettler

Though I've upgraded to 4.0, I haven't been in the right head space to play CMBS. Wondering whether the AI weapon selection logic is now more, well, logical, so dual armed AFVs don't annoy something big and powerful when they could kill it instead? Am particularly interested in hearing what's happening with the BMP-2Ms and their use of Kornet E. 

Regards,

John Kettler

I recently had a close range shootout between an Abrams and a BMP in which the latter used its cannon to mission kill the Abrams by shooting out is optics and various other exposed equipments in addition to damaging the tracks. I reckoned the BMP used its cannon instead of a missile because the range was too short for the missile to guide. And after all, the BMP walked away and this time the Abrams did not.

Michael

Michael Emrys,

Wow! Please tell me you saved the turn so you can share it with us. I've had an Abrams chewed on by BMP auto cannon fire, but it only degraded, not destroyed, my fire control optics--as the offending BMP-3 discovered for all time a few seconds later. Several sources list minimum range for the Kornet as 100 meters. How close were you?

Regards,

John Kettler

9 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Several sources list minimum range for the Kornet as 100 meters. How close were you?

I don't recall the exact range, but it was surely under 100 meters. Response time may have also been a factor. Normally an Abrams will get off a shot before a BMP can respond with a missile, but the autocannon was faster on the draw and had done enough critical damage before the Abrams got its shot off. Regrettably, no saved turn of this engagement. Probably an oversight on my part when I deleted the saved turns of this game.

Michael

I played Blood in the Streets, the 4th or 5th campaign scenario of  Task Force Spartan Resolve the other day.  I had one BMP-2 in my force mix at game start.  I gave the BMP-2 an armored target arc.  It spotted a T-90 at a couple of hundred metres as the tank whipped around the corner of the urban terrain and it did indeed, fire the ATGM and killed the T-90, rather than use the cannon.

Edited by BlackMoria
grammar