Infantry behavior under arty bombardment in CMBS 4.0

exsonic01

I like all changes of new 4.0 engine, but infantry behavior under incoming artillery should be removed or modified. 

20170217112209_1.jpg

This is coming from recent PBEM game. In this screen shot, one veteran experience + high morale troops were positioned in the 3 buildings left of the road. Then the 155mm rains. The position of platoon HQ (center building) was in the range of shelling, but the positions of troops (3 buildings in the left of the road) were not. Only top left one was in the boundary of artillery zone. 

The problem is, after shelling, they all shocked and routed to the HQ position, the center building in the screenshot, even though the 155mm is continuously falling. This induced totally-unnecessary casualties if they just stayed in their original hiding place. Their original position was outside of the shelling zone, only HQ position was. But they run all the way to the HQ position through the deadly road and field. I also served in army (it was 16 years ago but anyway) and what I learned was stay in the fox hole, and try not to out in the open under incoming artillery, not run across the roads and fields like that screenshot. The only moment that one need to run regardless of shelling is the moment of chemical/gas shells, not the HE shells. One other danger of the situation is that, they can be killed in one shot. Imagine a single 155mm falling to that building. This will ruin my game because of stupidity of AI. 

Whatever I do, I cannot help them to stop moving when the shell falls. I can't move my boys at that moment, because the 155mm is still raining there. All I can do now is just watching and praying, just as same as my poor pixeltruppen would do now. 

Please remove or modify this new TACAI behavior. 

Edited by exsonic01

There is a thread in the CMBN forum that is currently talking about the new infantry behavior in V4, and I brought up your point there. In essence I agree with you, men should not break and flee from artillery while it is falling on them. I also mentioned in the other thread that one way to get around this is to give units you do not want to move an indefinite pause command. Its a stop-gap measure, but it works. 

Here is the link to the CMBN thread:

so far for me 2 of the 3 instances where they move because of incoming without me asking it was great and they saved themselves, but the 3rd time that sort of thing was going on they kept moving somewhere stupid, and I couldn't stop it and it was frustrating. 

It seems like its not supposed to represent the dudes panicking and running but keeping their cool and running, in which case it would be great if it were an option.  Now that they want to take the initiative to move themselves, id like to be able to give em an order to hold their ground until they actually panic and run.  The movement is usually good (66% for me)  but when you need em to stay put it is important for them to try.

Edit to add:  Maybe with that stop sign button next to the fall back button?

Edited by cool breeze