Very poor draw distance after 4.0

I have updated all my games to 4.0 (not RT) but for BS I now get very short/poor draw distance despite highest graphics settings. The frame rate is not a problem so it is not due to load on the CPU. I have the same Nvidia control panel settings as for the other games. I uninstalled the game, but noted that all files were not removed so I did that manually. Installed the complete 2.0 package newly downloaded but get the same poor draw distance. It is not running on integrated graphics card but the Nvidia one. No mods installed. It has never looked this bad before and I can't figure out which setting is causing this. Vertical sync off and antialiasing on.

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Try cycling the graphics settings by using the hotkeys while inside the game. Does that help?

Cycling settings with hotkeys does change in game look but never to a satisfactory level. I'm starting to think that there are texture files missing.

I'm always a bit suspicious of "highest graphics settings". I've seen instances where instead of maxing the quality you max out your CPU capacity then the game starts automatically downsampling stuff to keep the exe running. Terrain quality & trees appear to be the first items to take the hit. Instead of looking in the game options check out your graphics card settings. Having everything set to max 100% might be self-defeating.

I usually play on next to highest but put it on highest because I thought that keeping the camera still with highest settings would be the most ideal for max draw distance. I actually think that the highest setting has a tendency to make things look to sharp and thereby "unnatural".

I know very little about all the settings one can make for the graphics card and sort of only copy what others have said works. Is there a particular setting that is most closely connected to draw distance?